Just got back from what was around our 18th or 19th trip to Royal Palm. We took a couple who were going for the first time. Some of the good, the bad and the unusual.

We enjoyed cocktails and a smoked meat sandwich one afternoon at White Flag. Thanks to this board for the tip. My wife is French Canadian. She and the owner had an enjoyable conversation. Nice place, but I worry about that location.

We ate at Mark's for only the second time that I can recall. My wife pronounced her chicken "the best chicken ever" on the island. This is a very big deal.

We went to Orient every beach day (which is not unusual) and we hung out on the east end of the island, which we had never done. One day at Orange Fever, then three at Aloha. We decided that the east end is to the larger places what downtown is to mid-town Manhattan. This was after several rum punches. Good mussels at both places (they arrive on Thursday, as mentioned in another thread).

There is a new patisserie Simpson Bay across from Kimsha Beach. Very good quiches; the croissants are not the equal of Zee Best, IMHO.

Dinner at Rosemary's in Marigot was a highlight. Her rice and peas is really awesome, by far the best I have had. Her dishes came with strips of yam that were white as snow, and delicious.

We ate at Lees twice. We have been going there since there was almost nothing else on that part of the road. The conch chowder, always good, was simply outstanding. A large tureen with gigantic chunks of conch, tasty broth. Ummm. The fish was good, but on one of the nights the slooow, indifferent service that has plagued the place in the past made a return. It wasn't just us, and it wasn't crowded.

Fancy meal night was at Le Chanticler in Marigot. We sort of went crazy with the wine, so the meal cost a lot more than it should have. They served a soup with mushroom, almonds and something else that was excellent. Also a lamd cooked for 5 hours. I didn't time it.

Favorite dinner? For me, tortellini with mushroom sauce at Izzi. Favorite breakfast? Johnny cake with egg and bacon at Hilma's Windsor Castle. It really isn't just hype at Hilma's.

Traffic was bad in the Dutch Quarter and Sandy Ground, due to road work. I have seen stronger winds in the past, but maybe not as consistently windy for a week. This had the effect of blowing the rain out, which made almost daily appearances.

We met the owner of a hand-made clothing store our last full day, and enjoyed conversation with him. He mentioned money-laundering (which I see has its own thread). He said this year is better than last year, but that he is worried about the coming slow season. Several notes slipped under my door by sellers of time at Royal Palm. I can't recall the parking lot bring as empty as it was.