I returned from the lovely st.maarten last saturday. while I did add a few posts along the way I just wanted to talk about some of the restaurants that I really liked and would recommend to others to try. I normally don't talk about what I thought was bad because maybe they had an off night.
First I would like to say that the simpson bay resort was fine. Our room was clean and the servide was there. The pool areas were kept up and we all had a wonderful time. Hope they do make the renovations they are telling us about. I also once again rented a phone from my queen sharon and once again it was a deal. we also used Jeannie the shop and drop grocery service. she is so lovely and pleasant and makes every effort to assist you in what you are looking to purchase. she goes out of her way and I recommend her . As posted we loved the piano bar and for those staying here or in area a great night spot without haviing to drive . we were lucky to have a really good piano player for our two weeks. I did go to some of the happy hours that were talked about by this forum. Thanks to all who sent us to Marty's dream pool bar. He was so funny as I mentioned and the view was spectacular. I still love the yacht club. My hubby and I alwasy seem to catch the yachts coming and going and the addition of food was also a plus. Sunset beach was also fun as usual. Hit there a few times. I do recommend going to lunch or for a swim at Karakter beach. It really had good food and it is a nice atmosphere. we spend a lot of time at the pool as we are with a crowd and our friend Jules makes the best pina coladas. No need to travel to far.
Now to the food... I have three places which I would go back right now. First and foremost is Marios's Bistro in sandy ground. No one even came close to the food served here. There were four of us and we had a lovely round table up front and had a lovely breeze. I split the special appetizer which was a shashimi and it was seasoned to perfection and of course so fresh. I had mahi mahi which was also a specail and was crusted with pistachio and a a pear tart .the crust was the best ..
second was spiga in grand case. a friend had told me about this place for years and we made the trip up. It was well worth the traffic . The lobster ravioli appetizer was so good I was sorry I did not have it for a main course. the pasta was so light. Third was The Stone. It is at the marina at simpson bay. we sat outside and it was a beautiful night. I had the duck on the stone . exceptional... The steaks and shrimps all looked and smelled fab. everyone was pleased and there were seven of us. Notable mentions... Hit the mini club for lunch.. still one of the prettiest places and the omelettes and lobster salad are still so good. The same waiter has been there for over 20 years. Izi Italian was also quite good. Another place with good homemade pasta. Saratoga another favorite.
we usually eat breakfast pool side or in but buon appetite and la vista do a very good breakfast. Hope this helps .. Once again thanks to all who gave recommendations to us and ready to go again