Member Spotlight
pony600
pony600
CT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (camview, pbd007, snman31, Fitzhughlaw, lcote, richard4th, Donaegada, SXMScubaman, Matt W, MrEZgoin, LauraJim, JandIrene, MKGrey, Swifty, Fran, foreversxm, RickBlaine, mark37, Wahnfried, nevar37, ChuckG, BHK, Cincinnati_Kid, SeaLady29, pandpfromcanada, socamon, CaribbeanCanadians, sailingbob, polaris, 706jim, KenW, marisol, 12 invisible), 893 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? #165336
07/08/2018 04:21 PM
07/08/2018 04:21 PM
Niles, IL
S
spiker Offline OP
Traveler
spiker  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Niles, IL
I'm sort of disappointed with RI and I don't know what to do. I like SXM but I'm not too crazy of La Plage. I am leaning towards letting it go.
We have a week 16 and my flights prices are ridiculous from Chicago. Not knowing whether the place will be open and if the room we have will be better than it was - it always had a humidity problem and during the last few years we always got sick after a week. I would like to know what you think? Would RI take it back? Or should I just keep it and try to rent it out in order to pay the fees?

SXM Sponsors
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165340
07/08/2018 04:54 PM
07/08/2018 04:54 PM
Massachusetts
boucharda Online content
Traveler
boucharda  Online Content
Traveler
Massachusetts
Well...you're:

..not too crazy about La Plage

...not sure if it will be open and maybe better than it was (or not)

...flight costs "are ridiculous"

..."always got sick after a week"

No clue why keeping it and renting it out rather than going back is even a choice....unless it's a one year see-what-happens thing

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165345
07/08/2018 06:53 PM
07/08/2018 06:53 PM
B
badbenni Offline
Traveler
badbenni  Offline
Traveler
B
I am in SXM now and have been told that Le Plage will be open this winter season and a lot is being done in the Maho area.
We have been here for 5 weeks and this has been of our best trips to the Island in many years. Everyone here has been fantastic and friendly. The restaurants are mostly open and the beaches have been Super.
In my opinion, SXM is the best place to come to if you want a full round out vacation.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165381
07/09/2018 04:24 PM
07/09/2018 04:24 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
I have been an owner at LaPlage for almost thirty years now...and have NEVER had a problem . Was it a bit dated??? yes.... Was it always in super clean condition?? YES... Some rooms did have an issue with humidity.....and they responded by adding dehumidifiers in the rooms for the past couple of years. They have always gone above and beyond with the place. If you don't like it there...dump it. plain and simple. BUT....what i am hearing....and the few artist renderings that have been released....LaPlage's plans are to be reopen for next year's high season....and with all new updated furniture.....and decor the place will be better than ever!! Personally, the only way I will give up my ownership there, would be from the grave. It is our second home for three weeks annually....yesterday, today, and hopefully for years to come!!!!

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165390
07/09/2018 05:21 PM
07/09/2018 05:21 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Originally Posted by spiker
I'm sort of disappointed with RI and I don't know what to do. I like SXM but I'm not too crazy of La Plage. I am leaning towards letting it go.
We have a week 16 and my flights prices are ridiculous from Chicago. Not knowing whether the place will be open and if the room we have will be better than it was - it always had a humidity problem and during the last few years we always got sick after a week. I would like to know what you think? Would RI take it back? Or should I just keep it and try to rent it out in order to pay the fees?

Personally speaking, I can't see keeping something you're not happy with, and therein lies my surprise at your post. I have always considered RILP to be one of the nicest timeshares on the island, and had it been available when we purchased I would have bought there for sure. And week 16 is a prime week, particularly for those with kids since it so often falls around Easter and leads into Carnival on the island.

It goes without saying that almost any place as close to the water might be subject to humidity issues but a good dehumidifier should resolve that. Are you sure you didn't get sick because of your airline flights, and no, not the pricing but the closed up cabin air which sometimes raises havoc with me in both directions.

As far as airfare prices - I wouldn't let that force me into getting rid of something if I really loved it. Sounds like that's the big question here and if you don't - then it's time to let it go and find something more to your liking. Time moves on and our likes and dislikes change.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165474
07/10/2018 01:09 PM
07/10/2018 01:09 PM
Niles, IL
S
spiker Offline OP
Traveler
spiker  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Niles, IL
Well I don't wish to have anyone go to the grave but as far as my concerns - the property and location was great when we first bought into it.
We like the property and room location but as far as the humidity and dehumidifiers they should upgrade their systems. It was fine when we first bought.

We do not get sick on the plane - it's after a week in this unit and I empty out the dehumidifier at least twice a day. Oh and I do not leave the balcony door open.
As far as the flights are concerned I'm not going to purchase $800 tickets not knowing when the place will be open. RI is very slow in coming out with any kind of update.

EdB I know you've been there for quite awhile and you may have contacts that get you that information but I do not. I doubt very much that you would have anything but praise for the place - I'm just being realistic.

Maybe you are all right - I should get out.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165484
07/10/2018 02:31 PM
07/10/2018 02:31 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
If your decision is to ''get out''....i would NOT give the property back to the resort...but instead list if for sale on the homeowners website through. I bought my third week from there. You may not get top dollar...but you would definitely get a reasonable amount for it. Sure beats ''giving'' it back for no return.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165490
07/10/2018 03:09 PM
07/10/2018 03:09 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
I agree

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165491
07/10/2018 03:53 PM
07/10/2018 03:53 PM
Massachusetts
boucharda Online content
Traveler
boucharda  Online Content
Traveler
Massachusetts
Yup....that should be where you start and see what develops...or....you could deposit this visit with II or RCI (not sure which is appropriate) and go somewhere else THIS YEAR....then decide when there is more clarity with the situation

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165493
07/10/2018 03:59 PM
07/10/2018 03:59 PM
S
sasasal Offline
Traveler
sasasal  Offline
Traveler
S
Not sure this is the time to try and sell anything Hurricae destruction. Who is going to buy??? we too wanted to try and sell a home, and our agent laughted. Now she said??? I agree giving back is worst thing, but its been done by very smart people. this is not a place to buy timeshare for all of the obove... this is the results of what happens when there is a hurricane or any other issue a timeshare has. this is international and you have no leg to stand on. I have many friends that gave back because there money was still to timeshare, even it it was not used. You advise it sno good. You need to learn about timeshare on this island and how it works and what you can do as an american. Be surprised very little.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165509
07/10/2018 05:16 PM
07/10/2018 05:16 PM
Beverly MA (Boston's North Sho...
timnboston Offline
Traveler
timnboston  Offline
Traveler
Beverly MA (Boston's North Sho...
Couldn't agree more with all of your comments about the excellence of the RI - I've been an owner for 20 years and now go down for 3 weeks in January every year and am hopeful they'll be open this January. That being said, Spiker is right - they have not been particularly forthcoming with updates. Because the volume of the airport is limited, I'd like to start shopping for flights now because as the planes fill up the prices will increase. It will do the RI no good if they reopen and their owners can't get a flight or refuse to be raped by the airlines.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: sasasal] #165556
07/10/2018 11:56 PM
07/10/2018 11:56 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by sasasal
Not sure this is the time to try and sell anything Hurricae destruction. Who is going to buy??? we too wanted to try and sell a home, and our agent laughted. Now she said??? I agree giving back is worst thing, but its been done by very smart people. this is not a place to buy timeshare for all of the obove... this is the results of what happens when there is a hurricane or any other issue a timeshare has. this is international and you have no leg to stand on. I have many friends that gave back because there money was still to timeshare, even it it was not used. You advise it sno good. You need to learn about timeshare on this island and how it works and what you can do as an american. Be surprised very little.

i respectfully wholeheartedly disagree with you. who is going to buy? PLENTY of people...especially people that own at Royal Islander the week before or the week after. People at RI look at the place as their ''home away from home''. La Plage is NOT some of the other properties on the island. There rarely is any complaint about the place. Over the years...the Spadarros (the owners) have been more than fair to the owners. NEVER ONCE have they charged an additional assessment after a storm. Not saying it won't happen this time around...but so far we owners have not even been asked to pay the 2018 maintenance fees!!! In other storms...those fees have also been waived by them when the resort has been closed in the past. You say that you know smart people that have given back their timeshares??? OK....but if one can make a few bucks by selling it versus ''giving it back...does not equate to smart people. If your reasoning stands about selling a property after hurricane destruction is true...then i guess the state of Florida, Lousiana, or any other state must be out of business after a national disaster??? i don't think so. If a real estate laughed at you for wanting to sell your own home, my advice would be to you to FIND ANOTHER AGENT!!!!! Giving back a unit should only be a last resort. As of right now, it is costing ZERO to hold onto it.....First wait and see what comes up from the resort before any decision is made. None of us have been informed what all the changes will be....chances are that EVERY unit will be totally rehabbed with all new furniture, fixings, and air conditioning units. I bet that the place will be in BRAND NEW condition by the time the resort is back open. I personally cannot wait for March....and I know all my friends that we meet there year after year have the same feelings that I have. Sasal, just curious....and you don't have to answer me, but do you peronally own at Royal Islander LaPlage, or are you just putting in your two cents.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165565
07/11/2018 08:33 AM
07/11/2018 08:33 AM
Western MA
S
SandS Offline
Traveler
SandS  Offline
Traveler
S
Western MA
I am so glad you responded to her. We are very happy with our weeks of timeshare at Simpson Bay Resort and we have had quite a few assessments. I believe she owns a private home & has done a lot of complaining on this forum in the past.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165569
07/11/2018 09:23 AM
07/11/2018 09:23 AM
STATEN ISLAND NY
R
Richie Offline
Traveler
Richie  Offline
Traveler
R
STATEN ISLAND NY
Too ad my two cents we were there in April stopped by to see the progress being made the landscaping in the back was all done new scrubs and palm trees as far as the rooms they are working on them Nina said they should be open by Oct 1 they are making some changes to the rooms to some degree and Tortuga is gone and there making a new restaurant in its places I believe it’s going to be run by Three Amigos.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165570
07/11/2018 09:28 AM
07/11/2018 09:28 AM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
That's too bad about Tortuga. Enjoyed their food. 3 Amigos, not so much. And expensive!

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: BillandElaine] #165571
07/11/2018 09:40 AM
07/11/2018 09:40 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
We always enjoyed our breakfasts at Tortuga - one of the few really pleasant breakfast stops in the immediate area, so sorry to hear of it changing hands and functionality.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: Richie] #165605
07/11/2018 04:06 PM
07/11/2018 04:06 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Aw man, I loved Tortuga. Ask for a mimosa and you’d ge an OJ and little split of champagne! Enough to make 3 dine

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: pat] #165624
07/11/2018 08:45 PM
07/11/2018 08:45 PM
South Coast of MA
S
SXMBND Offline
Traveler
SXMBND  Offline
Traveler
S
South Coast of MA
Originally Posted by pat
We always enjoyed our breakfasts at Tortuga - one of the few really pleasant breakfast stops in the immediate area, so sorry to hear of it changing hands and functionality.

I have always enjoyed the breakfast at SSB.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: pat] #165641
07/12/2018 12:02 PM
07/12/2018 12:02 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Online content
Traveler
Todd  Online Content
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
Aloha Spiker,
Here is my two bits on RI and what you should do. This seems to be an issue where you are not able for health reason to be able to handle the humidity caused issues of SXM, If you are having an issue at RI then likely you would have the same or similar issues at other places so it may be that you should instead vacation to dry climates like Vegas, Palm Springs or Arizona. Cost to travel to those locations would be less as well. Beyond that, I would listen to EdB. RI is probably the only property on island that you can actually make a profit consistently renting as well as buying and selling units as a bargain shopper part time berry picker "if" you are in weeks 46 - 17 range which you are. The place is well located and well taken care of, the AMF's are reasonable which creates a cost of ownership factor that can not be beat on island right now or for the past 5 plus years.

If you do wish to bail, I am sure you would have no problem finding one of us that is willing to pay all the xfer cost to get you out of it. But as EdB stated, it is costing you nothing right now.

Cheers,
Todd

I prefer the Isle seat
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165739
07/13/2018 03:11 PM
07/13/2018 03:11 PM
Niles, IL
S
spiker Offline OP
Traveler
spiker  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Niles, IL
Hello all: First of all I am very familiar with humidity on islands. We own 2 at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club and at Marriott Beachplace Towers in Ft. Lauderdale.
I am very appreciative of the Spadarros for not charging MF's for 2018. I was hit for $400 more for my FT. Lauderdale property after the hurricane mainly because it is deeded.

My biggest complaint is the failure of the Spadarros for not enough news and for their lack of concern to upgrade the properties A/C systems. Adding a dehumidifier that I have to empty out 2 or 3 times daily is a PITA!

Also my wife absolutely refuses to sleep in the bedroom because it either gets too cold and damp or if we let it get warm then its too warm and damp.
Maybe another dehumidifier in the bedroom would work. I don't know - I am not a HVAC guy. But I'm the one that gets sick around the 6th day - maybe there's some kind of spores or mold in that room!

So, with that in mind, I like SXM & La PLage. When this property came available I jumped on it. We stayed there earlier through an exchange.

Now what do to - I have considered all of your comments - some I listened with a grain of salt and some were insight-full. But we have decided to wait till October to purchase flights. If RI gives some sort of inclination that they will open and maybe replace some of the A/C units then I will start looking for flights. If not then I either will sell or give it away. I don't have much respect for an organization that doesn't have any respect for me, my health or my family!

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165746
07/13/2018 04:41 PM
07/13/2018 04:41 PM
S
sasasal Offline
Traveler
sasasal  Offline
Traveler
S
i am sorry for those that think I complain or are doom and gloom. Those that are making those comments do not know me or husband. so i take it with a grain of salt. I only give my opinion here and not often, because I realize this is for certain members that are respected. I think given the fact that we know the Island and have been going for many years!!! We can say what we have seen, heard from others, and our own experience. I say what I know and with alot of knowledge. I know for a fact, that most here travel once a year and say they know the Island. Perhaps thats what you hear from others, but we live there all winter. I know many people many resort owners, many resturant owners, and many shop keepers. So I hear and say. Its sad when a message board it so closed it chooses to put down others opinions. Well but its your message board and you do what you need to do to keep it going. I Know the Island. thats the way it is.... this is my second home with many issues but my second home. Not many can say that.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: sasasal] #165747
07/13/2018 05:02 PM
07/13/2018 05:02 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Nope! No negativity here.......

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: pat] #165751
07/13/2018 07:28 PM
07/13/2018 07:28 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Not a drop. wink

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: BeachKitten] #165758
07/13/2018 08:41 PM
07/13/2018 08:41 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Maybe just a ting. LOL

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165794
07/14/2018 12:52 PM
07/14/2018 12:52 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
i guess after thirty years of vacations plus or minus, as most of us have done.....we don't know anything. Never knew that one had to live there during the winter in order to know the island....to know the people...to know the resort owners...to know the restauranteurs...etc. Maybe some day the rest of us will finally get to know the island.. LOL I wonder how many weeks in total one has to be on the island in order to feel it is our second home???

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165798
07/14/2018 01:27 PM
07/14/2018 01:27 PM
Niles, IL
S
spiker Offline OP
Traveler
spiker  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Niles, IL
Hey people, I didn't mean for my question to go south. Everyone has an opinion - some good - some bad. We're only on SXM for 1 week. We have made some relationships with a few restaurants and shops and for the most part they are very good. I am glad that some of my money went to restoring the casino! We very much would like to come back. We just have some concerns.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165807
07/14/2018 03:27 PM
07/14/2018 03:27 PM
baltimore,MD
lash Offline
Traveler
lash  Offline
Traveler
baltimore,MD
We've been coming to SXM since the year after hurricane Louis.We stayed at most of the TS's on the island & first bought at the Pelican & later at RI.When another RI became available we sold pelican & bought RI.Since then we've added a third week.Never had a bad stay or gotten sick,& can't wait to get back.However I am upset that The Three Amigos is taking over the restaurant.Their food was terrible & way over priced. Can only hope they've changed.

Tom&Donna LeRoux
Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165870
07/15/2018 06:05 PM
07/15/2018 06:05 PM
the Long Island
the captain Offline
Traveler
the captain  Offline
Traveler
the Long Island
I just booked our flights for La terasse across the street. HAving been a travel nazi about planning for years, I always have looked forward to the ease of knowing that SXM is a no brainier and a true vacation. Keep it!

So is there any word that it will be confirmed as open for Feb 2019? I just booke the flights but ....should I beer an alternative if RI La Terasse doesn’t come through?

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: the captain] #165891
07/15/2018 10:43 PM
07/15/2018 10:43 PM
New Jersey
TomR Offline
Traveler
TomR  Offline
Traveler
New Jersey
I emailed RI La Plage last week and mentioned I was holding off buying my plane tickets for mid March until I hear of the official reopening. Management emailed me back and told me to buy the tickets. I assume from that it will be open in mid March at least.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: spiker] #165893
07/15/2018 11:21 PM
07/15/2018 11:21 PM
the Long Island
the captain Offline
Traveler
the captain  Offline
Traveler
the Long Island
Thanks TomR. I’m feeling confident that RI timeshares did better than the Sonesta. I recall seeing Dutch Air Force footage from the air and seeing some palm trees in the pool of Terasse.

I dont tend to see a lot of posts about Terasse vs Plage. What are the major differences between both? Which is older? Although its the same management, they seem to run separately.

Hoping for the best and to see St Maarten again

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: EdB] #165901
07/16/2018 07:15 AM
07/16/2018 07:15 AM
B
BlueGreenWater Offline
Traveler
BlueGreenWater  Offline
Traveler
B
Originally Posted by EdB
i guess after thirty years of vacations plus or minus, as most of us have done.....we don't know anything. Never knew that one had to live there during the winter in order to know the island....to know the people...to know the resort owners...to know the restauranteurs...etc. Maybe some day the rest of us will finally get to know the island.. LOL I wonder how many weeks in total one has to be on the island in order to feel it is our second home???

Totally agree. We've been going to SXM for thirty years. We've been through all the drama of Pelican Resort. We now own eight weeks, and spend a large part of the winter there. So, yeah, I guess I'm one of those who only goes once a year. But on the other hand, I'm a glass-half-full kind of girl, and most everyone I know that comes year after year is as well. A lot of people gave up their units during the Pelican downtimes. Those who stuck it out are glad they did and are now owners of a top-rated resort. I personally am glad that those who saw only the negative gave theirs up. Life is too short to live with negativity. If you really don't like it, then get rid of it.

And PS, thanks to Carol and Eric and Rural Carrier for this site. I for one feel it's open to everyone. I read it regularly, I sometimes contribute, and I'm always interested in what others have to say. Again, thank you, and thank all the contributors.

Re: Royal Islander La Plage - what to do? [Re: the captain] #165955
07/16/2018 05:22 PM
07/16/2018 05:22 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by mirrodie
Thanks TomR. I’m feeling confident that RI timeshares did better than the Sonesta. I recall seeing Dutch Air Force footage from the air and seeing some palm trees in the pool of Terasse.

I dont tend to see a lot of posts about Terasse vs Plage. What are the major differences between both? Which is older? Although its the same management, they seem to run separately.

Hoping for the best and to see St Maarten again

To answer your questions.... La Plage is probably about 15 to 20 years older than La Terrace. They both are run by the same management and both owned by the Spaddarros....in fact many of the front desk staff work both resorts. Also, same maintainence staff and management. Both units are very similar in design and furniture...LaTerrace being a bit newer. La Terrace has the parking underneath for both properties. La Plage is on the beach.....La Terrace is across the street. When it comes to the amenities...ie pool....they are seperate. One cannot use each others....although supposedly from the old days, the owners of LaPlage would be able to use LaTerrace....but since it is NOT on the beach, i doubt that anyone would want to. Supposedly heard from the grapevine that LaPlage was home to the dutch military following the hurricane. Not sure if LaTerrace also housed any of the soldiers or staff.