Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
48 registered members (Harleyk, Uksimonusa, John, Ackman, bostonbob, fabila, geomo, bbeach, ndfaninnc, Fran, charlie, ydrwrb1, Matt W, boucharda, KirkB, WWII, tbaybob, JeanneB, Jeannius, Jaybird, Kennys, TC42, Kevin_B, Billtjw, GeorgeC1, lcote, BillDauterive, Sea_Skyman, Kmon, MKGrey, deputydog1157, pburke40, marisol, davidandsusannj, cabokid, eightzerobits, sailgclass, 11 invisible), 769 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grenada? #167071
08/02/2018 12:13 AM
08/02/2018 12:13 AM
Y
yourcraig Offline OP
Traveler
yourcraig  Offline OP
Traveler
Y
Yes, I realize this is the BVI forum and there is a Southern Caribbean forum for questions on Grenada. However that forum has very little traffic and I already read through most of it. Besides, what I am looking for is people who have been to both locations who can offer some compare and contrast between the two. My thought would be to do a June trip once the winds have turned from northeasterly to southeasterly and then do a run from the south end of Grenada to Tobago Cay and back (45 nm each way). The chain runs at about a 30 degree slant so with a SE wind seems like it would be a nice beam reach both ways. I know in the high season with the NE winds it is popular to go one way from St. Lucia to Grenada. However flights to Grenada are actually a touch cheaper than even STT, compared to St. Lucia which is $1200 (more than 2X). Tobago Cay is supposed to have some fantastic snorkeling. The impressions I got so far is that it might be tougher to find meticulously maintained boats, there would need to be a little more thought on security, and you have to have some tolerance for boat boys coming out when you are still a mile off shore to compete somewhat aggressively for your business.

Thanks,

Craig

BVI Sponsors
Re: Grenada? [Re: yourcraig] #167076
08/02/2018 08:54 AM
08/02/2018 08:54 AM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline
Traveler
S
I've only chartered in the BVI's once, but have extensive experience in the Grenadines so I can offer some comparisons. The distances between stops will be greater than in the BVI's with more open water passages. The islands are less commercialized and less crowded, no need to rush to the next anchorage to get a ball, with the exception of Saltwhistle Bay, it always seems to be crowded there.
Costs ashore are less, we always joke the prices are the same but they're in US in the BVI's and EC in the Windwards.
There is a greater percentage of Europeans to North Americans on yachts than up north. There isn't anything like the Willie T, they have started having full moon parties on Union at the kite surfing school.
As for boat boys, you won't find any a mile off shore between Grenada and the Cays, that's mainly off the bays of St. Vincent; they do greet you at the entrance to the harbor on Bequia, but they take turns coming out to the boats. While the guys do work hard to support their families they all get along pretty well with only the occasional difference of opinion. The only place you will see boat boys on your intended route will be in Union when you stop to clear in, someone will come to offer you a ball and in the Cays where they offer all sorts of goods and services. Best guy for lobster on the beach is Desperado.
Snorkeling in the Cays is an amazing experience, the best place to see turtles is the roped off area at Baradel. The reef has good snorkeling, but is more suited for experienced people, the coral is shallow and the currents can be strong I would suggest someone stay in the dingy to offer support if someone gets into trouble. When you leave Carriacou you can always swing by Miopian (sp?) for a quick snorkel stop, be aware of the surrounding reefs and draft.

Last edited by Sunset_Sammy; 08/02/2018 08:55 AM.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!