Member Spotlight
jagmansr
jagmansr
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (SXMScubaman, Kennys, GeorgeC1, 706jim, YachtReprise, scott1269, SXMBND, MNsnowbird, Zanshin, cabokid, Kmon, Alltech63, timnboston, 9 invisible), 800 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report September 15-29 #171764
10/02/2018 08:47 AM
10/02/2018 08:47 AM
Northern Michigan
dolfer Offline OP
Traveler
dolfer  Offline OP
Traveler
Northern Michigan
Saturday, September 15.
Arrived on-time (Spirit Airlines, first time, fairly smooth but just not impressed). Getting through the airport and out was quick and easy and the heat actually felt great. We were surprised that Lesley wasn’t available however we we’re delighted to meet his wife instead (Kennys Car Rental, used them since 2003, the best on the island). As usual we were on our way very quickly. However, his legendary service was even more legendary this trip. In addition to always addressing issues with the car, this year he responded to my need for beach chairs and umbrellas. So, nicely tucked into our trunk when we picked up the car was a beautiful set of beach furniture. It doesn’t get much better than that.
After a quick stop at Market Garden for some basics we arrived at The Belair and quickly got checked-in and to our room on the fourth floor. We both dropped everything and walked straight to the balcony. We opened the curtains and the VIEW literally took our breath away. We opened the door and stood at the railing checking out our new surroundings and neither of us said a word for several minutes.

Big smiles, kisses and hugs and then we went into action. Checked out the bedrooms, put away the groceries and jumped into our suits. To the beach! Drop the hastily packed beach bag on the nearest available chair and head straight into the water. Ah! Ooh! OMG how great, and we had that same feeling every time we swam.

The Belair

What can I say!

The staff…Beulah, Glenda, Bradley, Dominic, Rufus, oh and Thelma one of the guards who rode the storm out at the resort, just to name a very few, all became friends. The maids, the maintenance guys, the gate and patrol guards. Everyone was great. (Oh and if I forgot anyone or if I got a name wrong, I sincerely apologize. I plead temporary insanity, or sun glare or Caribe fever, choose one.)

The room…a beautiful little apartment overlooking the beach. Our first week was just the two of us celebrating the 40th year of our marriage. The kitchen is a little small but very serviceable with a nice sink, new microwave and toaster oven and a nice little cook top (oh and a nice blender, made use of that). A nice living room/dining room with a fabulous view and comfortable sofas. The main bedroom is good size with a nice bathroom and a really good shower. For our second week our daughter joined us from Chicago to celebrate her 30th birthday. The second bedroom was perfect for her and even though a little small, I think it was still larger than her Chicago apartment.

The waterfront…there are not enough superlatives to describe it and all would sound cliché. We LOVED it! All of us! The best beach. The best view. The most refreshing water. Very close. Not too busy, at least in September. During our two weeks, just enough waves and virtually no rocks. You choose your chairs for the week and Dominic tapes your room number on the chairs. Easily accessible outdoor full and foot showers and bathrooms.

[A quick aside. When I asked Dominic what the cat’s name was he gave me a big smile and said “Cat”.]

The store…the little mini-store is wonderful. It carries a little bit of almost anything you need and all at quite reasonable prices. The lady that runs it is friendly and fun and she’ll order pastries and baguettes, anything you want.

The restaurant…The Gingerbread Café…very good food, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good drinks, good staff and right at the beach and the swimming pool. If you stay here you have to attend the Monday barbecue, a really nice buffet, good music (a steel drum duet the two weeks we attended) all in a beachfront setting. We love dancing and really enjoyed ourselves, but were unable to get many to join us.

The location…could not be any better. Very easy to find and to access. Private gate always staffed. Easy parking. It is not close to a lot of restaurants and nothing is within walking distance, except Divi. For us that was not only not a problem but very desirable. And being close to Divi just adds to the The Belair’s experience. We ate a Gizmo’s several times and walked from The Belair to Divi almost every morning for exercise.
Oh, did I mention the view! I am a boat nerd. I track the great lakes freighters all summer using Marine Tracker app. The location of the Belair is perfect, for me, because all of the major ships, cruise ships and freighters, entering and leaving Philipsburg harbor lay up in front awaiting the pilot boat. Also loved seeing not only Saba often but also Saint Eustatius and Saint Kitts for several days in a row.
What else can I say, for travel to SXM we have found a home…The Belair forever!

Restaurants, food and shopping

On our first Sunday we had a light breakfast, swam and lounged by the beach for a while. We took a quick drive around the island. Wow, Orient does not look like the place I remember. Nothing left but rubble. Had a drink in downtown Marigot, bought pastries at La Express and then shopped for food at Super U. Now that is a very nice, large supermarket with everything, however Sunday noon might not be the best time to shop there as it was packed with people in their Sunday best having just come from church. We found some wonderful Norwegian salmon and stocked up on the supplies we would need for breakfast, lunch and some dinners. We were surprised to see that the store was closing at 12:45pm just as we were heading out.

We ate at The Gingerbread Café at The Belair many times and were never disappointed. Loved their chicken sate app on the lunch menu, had it many times.

The Sint Maarten Yacht Club. Why we had never had been there before was a mystery but we loved it and the people so much that we kept coming back. We ate breakfast and lunch twice each and drinks several more times. Love the place. Highly recommend the Eggs Benedict, the pancakes, the Coconut Shrimp and the Grouper Fingers. This place seems to attract mostly locals and some frequent SXM travelers and is in an excellent location if you’re into boats. If you go, give a shout out to our favorite bartender/waiter Maarten and checkout the railing on the lagoon side that is made from an 80 foot long sailing mast.

The Buccaneer Beach Bar. A perennial favorite by all and for good reason. Cold, inexpensive beer, good food, great beach and view and good people. Our first trip here I had a typical SXM people experience. My wife was looking through a beach vendor’s pareos when a short guy came up to me and said he thought that we had met before. I didn’t think so but smiled and introduced myself despite the slight feeling that I was now going to receive some kind of a pitch. I could not have been more wrong. He said his real name, which I now forget, but told me that everyone called him Shorty (it fit). It turns out Shorty is a retired Mechanical Engineer and had worked at the Dutch side power plant for thirty years. I have an Engineering degree and my son is also a Mechanical Engineer so that led to a long friendly conversation with two proud papa’s talking about they’re kids.

The Greenhouse, Philipsburg. We had drinks here one night and a really good dinner on another. Great prime rib. If you go and meet Troy the bartender ask him for his Irma story.

Toppers, Simpson Bay. Wednesday night must be in the universal bar playbook as being the night for karaoke (it’s true at home too). Topper was in rare form singing all his favorite Sinatra tunes. I had my first and only ‘hanging shish-kabob’. A neat idea and very tasty. My wife had the coconut shrimp which was good but not as good as the yacht club. If you go, give a shout out to Z the waiter, a cool guy from Suriname and The Netherlands with another survivor story.

Gizmo’s, Divi Little Bay. Had drinks here many times, it’s such an easy walk, and dinner another. A wonderful open air location with good staff and a nice menu. Met some cool people here including Chris and P.J. from the States.

The Blue Bitch Bar, Philipsburg boardwalk. Did a little shopping on a no-cruise day. Parked at the lot near the police station. Very few street vendors and many shops were closed but we weren’t really disappointed. Bought a few things at the store on the pier near the water taxi dock and stopped for lunch at The Blue Bitch. It was quiet and we had a nice lunch and some nice cold Caribe. Bought a t-shirt and they threw in a cool coozie.

We attempted to go to a few other places but were frustrated by closings, Marks Place, La Pressoir Jimbos and locations we could not find despite multiple attempts, Jamtillian for one. For the most part we ate in and loved it including a celebration night that included baked salmon, a scrumptious salad and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

Activities. Generally almost every day was spent at The Belair beach swimming, lounging, reading, basking and more swimming. Two days we left the resort for the day. On our first Thursday we went for a day sail with our old friend Neil Roebert of Celine Charters on his new boat Enigma. Wow what a boat. I’m so jealous and Neil seems to have this knack for upgrading to a bigger, nicer boat after the last one was destroyed by a hurricane. Enigma is a power (sail too if desired) catamaran. It is a 62’ Lagoon that is 30+ feet wide and very luxurious with six separate state rooms, two dining/serving tables, a galley, tons of comfortable seating including an awesome fly bridge. Neil and crew created one of best, if not THE best, meal we had on the island. We swam at Baie Longue (heard the La Samana story) and a quick trip to Mullet Beach too. A wonderful day and a wonderful way to see the island. I highly recommend a trip with Neil and his crew.

The other day away from the resort was a full day at Mullett Beach. Ah, what can I say about Mullett. It was a non-cruise day, intentionally, and a perfect Mullett day. Gentle rollers, the most awesome colored water anywhere and a lot of beautiful white sand. We arrived early and stayed late and got a little fried, but we loved every second. And the entertainment was quite good too (twenty to thirty little beach crabs that pop in and out of holes in the sand as the waves sweep across the beach. What a hoot!)

One day both of my girls treated themselves to a massage in our room from Patti, the massage girl associated with the resort (they raved about Patti and how wonderful and relaxing it was having a massage in our room with the slider door open and soothing music playing.). We had a light breakfast and I loaded up a beach bag and hit the road. I drove all over including Dawn Beach and Oyster Pond, and Coralita Beach and on to Orient. This was a cruise ship day and I ended frog-hopping cruisers in buses, rental cars and vans, but I survived. It was my first time at the little observation tower overlooking Étang aux Poissons and Baie de L’Embouchure where I saw goats all over the hills that were literally posing on top of the rocky hills like statues. The observation tower really lends itself to some great videos and panoramic photos of the surf and hills. Stopped at Orient Village and the newly built Bikini Beach Bar and again it was full of cruisers (but again I survived). What a beautiful new beach bar. Very elegant bar and dining area and gorgeous new bathrooms. Had a few cold Heineken drafts and I seemed to get better service and a genuine smile when I presented Euros instead of Dollars. Drove into the Pinel ferry area and just like the Orient Beach Resort area I hardly recognized it. It stunk from the seaweed piled on the shore and looked very quiet.

Another memorable day happened our first week at our resort. We had met these two ladies earlier in the week and then on Wednesday they put together a floating Tiki Bar. They had two paddle boards and an inflatable that held the cooler. They had rigged up signs and portable lights and offered quite an array of treats. Rum punch, vodka and cranberry, vodka and ginger, beer and soda and snacks (pretzels and chex mix in little paper cups and served in a muffin tray). This lasted most of the afternoon as they yelled at anyone that entered the water to join them for a free cocktail and snack. The crowd, all buoyed by foam noodles, varied from ten to twenty and long after we gave up they were still out there after dark with they’re lights flashing away. A good time was had by all. I will never forget that day and in fact we plan to try and duplicate this next summer at our beach on Lake Michigan.

Saturday, September 29
Departed on Spirit and it was nice that our daughter flew with us on the same flight to FLL together. We arrived at 11am for a 1:50pm flight but when all said and done we were glad. Stood in line way to long (a computer terminal was down) before getting into the waiting area but we managed to find three seats near our gate and finished our books as we waited for our flight.
Summary. We didn’t do all that we planned to do, we spent too much time just chilling out, drinking and reading, i.e. the perfect SXM vacation. This was our first two week vacation and as others predicted we will try for that every time now.
I just wish we hadn’t come home to sub-50 degree temps back home. Oh well.

Dolfer

SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171769
10/02/2018 09:20 AM
10/02/2018 09:20 AM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline
Traveler
Tom  Offline
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Sounds like you had as perfect a vacation as is possible. We discovered Belair over 30 years ago and until last year never missed an annual vacation there.
Many of the staff you mentioned have been there since our first visit. Some have described Belair as "dated" but I think that is one of the reasons it has weathered storms as well as it has.
We are looking forward to our 3 weeks in Dec/Jan and plan on having our granddaughter (5) join us for a week.

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171770
10/02/2018 09:28 AM
10/02/2018 09:28 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
thanks so much for the lovely report! Sounds like you have found your 'home away from home'. Kind of like us, the first time we stayed at Beachside Villas! We knew that after that, it would be hard for anything else to compete!

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171772
10/02/2018 09:37 AM
10/02/2018 09:37 AM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
Aha! Shorty! Everyone knows Shorty! So glad you had a good time.

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171777
10/02/2018 09:55 AM
10/02/2018 09:55 AM
St Louis, MO
SXMNorm Offline
Traveler
SXMNorm  Offline
Traveler
St Louis, MO
Thanks for taking time to tell us about your trip. Many of us are having "withdrawal " because of cancelled trips during the last year.

Next SXM visit -November 2023. Also January 2024.
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171778
10/02/2018 10:37 AM
10/02/2018 10:37 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Our first stay in St Maarten was at Belair back in '99 with no regrets. Then took a tour at Flamingo and bought new construction and have been there every year since then. Missed it this last year but stayed next door in a villa. To bad you missed Jamtillian with all those previous directions. Put it on your list for next visit. You'll enjoy the view and food.

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171781
10/02/2018 10:43 AM
10/02/2018 10:43 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Mitch etal,

Your trip sounds heavenly and I'm so very glad all went well. Everyone needs to find their special place and it sounds as though you may have found yours. Congrats and I'm so glad the anniversary trip went well. Many, many happy returns of the day and the trip.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171805
10/02/2018 02:06 PM
10/02/2018 02:06 PM
CT
pony600 Offline
Traveler
pony600  Offline
Traveler
CT
Great report, thanks for taking the time to write it!

[Linked Image]

If life hands you a lemon, just squeeze it on a lobster!
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171811
10/02/2018 03:03 PM
10/02/2018 03:03 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
I am a little behind but thanks for the report.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171812
10/02/2018 03:08 PM
10/02/2018 03:08 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Happy Anniversary, and thanks for the detailed report!

But.....DID YOU DECIDE TO GET THE FLOWERS?!! wave

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171813
10/02/2018 04:39 PM
10/02/2018 04:39 PM
Northern Michigan
dolfer Offline OP
Traveler
dolfer  Offline OP
Traveler
Northern Michigan
Yes I did and than you for the reminder.

Mavlet insisted on meeting me at the hotel on the Saturday that we arrived which I heard is her sabath night. No matter there she was with another fabulous bouquet. So I gave her a big hug and hurried up to our room. Of course my wife loved the flowers and sent photos to all of her family and friends back home.

Attached Files MM Flowers.jpeg
Last edited by dolfer; 10/02/2018 04:41 PM.

Dolfer

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171814
10/02/2018 04:45 PM
10/02/2018 04:45 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
Great report. We too enjoy boats and seeing cruise ships arrive. When at Divi we stay in the duplexes that face the cruise ship dock and Great Bay. Morning coffee on the lanai watching arrivals is one of our pleasures. We don't have to face the beach in front of Divi but we do walk it and by Belair and always say some time we'll stay there. Love Gingerbread (used to be Yellow Bird Cafe) and prefer to eat there over any thing Divi offers.

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171823
10/02/2018 06:07 PM
10/02/2018 06:07 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation. Sounds like a perfectly relaxing time!

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171827
10/02/2018 07:12 PM
10/02/2018 07:12 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Thanks for the nice report. I own at Divi and love that beach and enjoy walking between the resorts. Glad you had such a good time, and belated Happy Anniversary.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171844
10/03/2018 06:26 AM
10/03/2018 06:26 AM
crsxm Offline
Traveler
crsxm  Offline
Traveler
Thank you for the trip report--love reading and living through your posts and updates. So much in fact, that after reading your first post when you arrived at Belair, I quickly booked another trip for later this month. We were at Divi for two weeks in July and your post put me over the edge of my "island withdrawal" and we had to go back!

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171860
10/03/2018 09:38 AM
10/03/2018 09:38 AM
Connecticut
The_Lurker Offline
Traveler
The_Lurker  Offline
Traveler
Connecticut
What a nice report!

Great description of Mullet. umbrella

thanks

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171875
10/03/2018 01:51 PM
10/03/2018 01:51 PM
originally Long Island, NY/now...
irish1223 Offline
Traveler
irish1223  Offline
Traveler
originally Long Island, NY/now...
Great report, so glad you had such a good time! We can't wait until our turn arrives.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171878
10/03/2018 02:11 PM
10/03/2018 02:11 PM
Cobourg Ontario Canada
J
jeepers Offline
Traveler
jeepers  Offline
Traveler
J
Cobourg Ontario Canada
I want to add my thanks to you for taking the time to do a report. Between our trips we live vicariously through everyone else's adventures in our happy place.
Happy 40th anniversary! Beautiful flowers as well!
Cheers!

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171894
10/03/2018 06:00 PM
10/03/2018 06:00 PM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
Nice report, Thanks!

Re: Trip Report September 15-29 [Re: dolfer] #171895
10/03/2018 06:17 PM
10/03/2018 06:17 PM
S
StMartinFan Offline
Traveler
StMartinFan  Offline
Traveler
S
Thanks for the great trip report. We're owners at Divi (and have stayed at Belair), so agree with your comments about the Little Bay location and nice beach. We often go down to Belair to eat and walk the beach.