Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (socamon, sailingbob, polaris, SeaLady29, 706jim, KenW, marisol, Swifty, xrayman67, boucharda, Todd, deliveryskipper, Kevin_B, eilandmens, lcote, JandIrene, RichiT, Bernd, bobsob, luvtotravel, SXMNAN, StMartinFan, MKGrey, SirRichard, Fletch, nevar37, taraavo, OceanSong, pburke40, RickG, Scooter, duckfat, BillB42, marybeth, RonDon, tradewinds, 13 invisible), 994 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! #171802
10/02/2018 01:28 PM
10/02/2018 01:28 PM
South Florida
F
FrozMargNoSalt Offline OP
Traveler
FrozMargNoSalt  Offline OP
Traveler
F
South Florida
Hello TTOL-ers!! First and foremost, all of you rock! You gave my wife and I great guidance on planning our first BVI trip 4 trips ago. We've primarily done land based trips but also chartered a cat for a handful of days during one of those trips. My wife and I were last down in August of 2017 for our 15-year anniversary, just before the storms. We left the kids behind and enjoyed every minute of our land based, island hopping adventures. We stayed at Scrub and adventured out from there.

Next summer we had planned to head out west and do some rafting with two other families. However, as I pay close attention to the BVI recovery efforts, I'm enamored and humbled. I talked to my wife and she is open minded about redirecting our vacation money and plans to the BVIs! I have also convinced the other two families that the BVIs would be amazing and I would help guide the trip as they are all BVI virgins.

So, now, I could use some expert advice...

Travel dates: First things first...we usually come late July, early August. (obviously most affordable then and we're from Florida so we don't mind the heat!) We have been there once during the Puerto Rico Christmas in July celebration and while I love the energy of all the people, we'll need to follow that act and come once they have departed. Does anyone have any ideas when that will occur in 2019? I've done some research online and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

The group: The group will consist of 3 families:
* Family 1: 2 adults, boy age 15, girl age 13
* Family 2: 2 adults, girl 18, boy 15, boy 11
* Family 3: 2 adults, boy 15

What to do: Assuming we'll stay for a week, I'm thinking: 1) day trip island hopping (Baths, Norman Island caves, other snorkel spot in the morning, JVD in the afternoon 2) full day trip to Anegada (we've done it twice before) 3) full day trip to JVD (we've done this a few times)

Lodging: Once we determine our dates, we'll need to find a place to stay. We've stayed at Scrub a number of times and it is fairly quiet in late July, early August. And it has always been wonderful! The people, the accommodations....everything. While that seems like an easy option for me simply based on familiarity, I'm open minded.

Air Travel: Via JetBlue or Southwest, we can all easily (and pretty economically) get to San Juan from South Florida. So do I try to convince everyone to figure out the entire journey to EIS on their own, or would it make sense to find a charter company that can do the SJU to EIS round trip legs? It looks like finding a 12 person charter might be tough.

THANK YOU in advance for any thoughts you might have as I hope to redirect our vacation budgets to the BVIs next summer! Cheers!!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #171834
10/02/2018 07:52 PM
10/02/2018 07:52 PM
North Shore, MA
G
GettinBye Offline
Traveler
GettinBye  Offline
Traveler
G
North Shore, MA
I am very far from an expert on the BVI but I will share what little I do know. We have done two monohull sailing charters on Crystal Clear with our (then younger ) teens. We added on a few days in Virgin Gorda at the end which we loved. The new kids will love all the island hopping and snorkeling of course. What’s not to love ?

This March we are four couples traveling together. No kids. All first timers to the BVI except us. We are acting as hosts. We have rented a Dream Come True villa on Virgin Gorda. Looks beautiful and accommodates 14. Our owner contact is amazingly communicative and acts as a concierge. Panoramic view and beautiful pool. 5 bedrooms. With the Baths right there, Leverick Bay and all the beautiful beaches I don’t see how we can go wrong. Anegada is a favorite for us and sounds like for you as well. From a bopping around perspective I’m not sure how Virgin Gorda ranks. Look into Gumptions Necker tour. Those kids would LOVE it!!!

We are flying from four completely different parts of the country. Meeting in SJU (God willing). Our Seattle friends are buffering their trip with an extra day just in case. I have chartered Island Birds for all 8 of us and we will start our trip by flying straight to Anegada and spending a night. Then flying VIAIrlink to VIJ. Charter seemed to make the most sense for our party of 8. For your party of 11 that might get more complex. The charter planes I looked into were either for 5 or 9. But I didn’t dig deeper since that accommodated us.

I have become an avid follower watching the BVI post hurricane bravery and resilience and it seemed a perfect fit to head down there and support in any way we can. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time. Perfect ages for a trip like that!!!! I’m sorry my answer was so rambling. I guess I’m just extremely excited!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #171866
10/03/2018 11:35 AM
10/03/2018 11:35 AM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
HI Froz - Christmas in July on the 25th so I think most PR's will depart on the weekend after the Thursday - count on at least 5 days of celebrations. Villas are relatively easy to come by that time of year and are less expensive - but I wouldn't wait too long if you like Mahoe Bay as that does fill up around that period. The weather is actually nicer than Florida that time of year as the most humid month is usually October. Most bars and restaurants close Sept and Oct.

Flights are quite easy - if you can do MIA to STT you can take the ferry to Road town or VG (depending on the day of the week) which is far less expensive than flying into SJU and chartering a plane (or two if you are more than 8).

GordaGuy2
Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: GettinBye] #171881
10/03/2018 02:47 PM
10/03/2018 02:47 PM
South Florida
F
Traveler
Traveler
F
South Florida
Thanks GettinBye! I will check out that Villa as well as your Gumption suggestion...I've heard great things. I think you may be right...we may need two planes from SJU to EIS since we'll have 12 people. Thank you for your thoughtful response. Have a great trip in March! While you're basking in the sun, we'll be hoping for some snow and spring skiing out in Colorado!

Gordaguy2, thanks for the heads up re: July 25th and I imagine you are right...that celebration will probably last through that Sunday. I'm thinking we'd arrive the following week. I'll do some more research re: STT. Thanks for that tip. My only worry was the reliability of the ferries that first week of August when things generally seem to be pretty quiet.

Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #171891
10/03/2018 04:23 PM
10/03/2018 04:23 PM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
The ferries will most likely be running - worst case instead of direct on T, TH, Sat you do a regular ferry from Stt to Road Town and then to VG every day of the week - even the least expensive Air Sunshine ticket is 175 each way SJU to EIS per person.

GordaGuy2
Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: gordaguy2] #171915
10/04/2018 08:51 AM
10/04/2018 08:51 AM
South Florida
F
Traveler
Traveler
F
South Florida
OK, that's helpful...thank you.

Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #171920
10/04/2018 09:56 AM
10/04/2018 09:56 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Intercaribbean is another option from SJU to Beef Island - they have been very reliable when we have used them and are quite reasonably priced.

[Linked Image]

Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: Winterstale] #172337
10/10/2018 07:48 PM
10/10/2018 07:48 PM
South Florida
F
Traveler
Traveler
F
South Florida
Thank you, Bridget! We may be coming in June or early July now based on things I was allegedly "already made aware of" by my wonderful wife. Of course. Now that we have some flexibility, is it worth planning our trip around a full moon party at Trellis if we've never been there for one? I mean, I like the moon and I like a good party now and then. :-)

Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #172366
10/11/2018 08:41 AM
10/11/2018 08:41 AM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
Originally Posted by FrozMargNoSalt
Thank you, Bridget! We may be coming in June or early July now based on things I was allegedly "already made aware of" by my wonderful wife. Of course. Now that we have some flexibility, is it worth planning our trip around a full moon party at Trellis if we've never been there for one? I mean, I like the moon and I like a good party now and then. :-)

I did this on our last charter. Stayed at Scrub and took the ferry to Trellis. It was fine. IMHO i would go if it worked out, but wouldn't plan my itinerary around it. It wont be a full moon on our next charter.

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.
Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: ScurvyD] #172386
10/11/2018 11:56 AM
10/11/2018 11:56 AM
South Florida
F
Traveler
Traveler
F
South Florida
Cool...thanks for the feedback Scurvy.

Re: Summer - 2019, land based - Seeking advice! [Re: FrozMargNoSalt] #172621
10/14/2018 04:02 PM
10/14/2018 04:02 PM
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
You may want to consider the South Sound Villa on Virgin Gorda 7 bedrooms 8 bathrooms Full a/c. Completely new after IRMA You can call me or E-Mail from my web site. We also offer a dinghy to go out in South Sound Great snorkeling right off our dock.
www.virgin-gorda-villa.com

Last edited by tpcook; 10/14/2018 04:05 PM.

tpcook