Good morning all,

On Thursday evening, we lost a great pirate - Alan Swanstrom. He and his wife Pam have loved the BVI since at least the 80's and have owned four or five Moorings sailboats. I met Al at a local coffee shop in Cary, NC and got to know him in recent years through our shared passion for the Virgin Islands.

Our family had visited St. John on land-based trips for years and had considered making the jump to a bareboat through the BVI. Al was instrumental in helping me get comfortable with the decision and with building my knowledge. Prior to our first bareboat trip in 2016, Al spent over three hours selflessly guiding me through everything I needed to know. However, what will stick with me the most are his comments about how special his years have been in the BVI with his wife and children.

As you know, spending two weeks in the BVI as a family of four (we have two daughters) on a boat is quite expensive - even with the two tremendous Mooring's owners I have met helping me with owner's time (thank you David and Tony!). However, each year as my wife and I discuss the financial side of this trip, I immediately remember Al's comments about his memories with his children over the decades and how they still want to spend time with him and Pam on the boat as they have become adults.

After three annual bareboat trips with my wife and daughters, I now know why Al cherished his family time on the boat so much. I also know that he had a heart for passing on something that had been so special to him. For this, I will be forever grateful and will continue to think of him each time I am in my favorite place with my family.

We will miss you Al Swanstrom!

Steve