This was our 14th trip to St. Martin. Our trip officially started 7/15, when we traveled to Newark Airport for our stay at Wyndham Garden. This has worked well for us in the past, and seldom fly out of Philadelphia (our home airport). We left Monday on the 8:10 am United Flight. No problems at all, flight was on time. Lesley from Kenny's spotted us right away and we were off in minutes in our Nissan (what, no white Corolla)...

We checked into Club Orient for 14 nights..We had studio #23. We had requested #18 or #17, but unfortunately the owner and family were occupying those units. If you ever seen the inside of these units you know why we requested to stay there! Maybe next year. The studio was in a good location, close to beach access and Papagayo, however, is badly in need of some sprucing up. The can opener alone probably would have caused lockjaw and the coffeemaker had some mold. We were very tired after a long day, so we unpacked, undressed and went to Papagayo for dinner. Hubby had spaghetti Bolognese and I had vegetable lasagna. We shared a lettuce wedge with blue cheese. We had a complimentary bottle of wine. Bill was approximately $48. Time for bed..

Weather. We had very good weather, with the exception of an occasional shower. Our last day, however, was very stormy and the island continued to get much needed rain into the next day.

Food. Since we were staying for two weeks, we went out the next day for shopping at LeGrande Marche. Before shopping, we had lunch at Mark's Place (a perennial favorite). I had ribs with scalloped potatoes and hubby had a cheeseburger (in paradise)..Couple of beers and soft drinks, came to about $35. Mark's definitely has scalloped potatoes down to a science.

We purchased approximately $200 in groceries and wine. We enjoy the shopping experience, as you are able to sample so many different things and get creative with your cooking. I made spaghetti, pork chops, steaks, sausage and peppers, chicken.

Most breakfasts were in our studio, however, we did go into Porto Cupecoy one morning for breakfast at Ernest & Fidel's. Discovered this place last year and was impressed, (they have wonderful coffees) and enjoyed grilled pineapple pancakes, with bacon. Larry had a special Cafe Latte after breakfast which was very good. The sweet waitress even remembered us from last year. Bill was approximately $38 before tip. We also had breakfast at Paradise View. My husband had a popeye crepe, I had an omelette. Both were very good, along with seeing Luci and her new baby, Tia. We stopped to talk to Bernadine this day and made a donation for her wonderful care of the animals. She talked to us for quite a while, showed us around , introduced us to some special kitties. Our other breakfast was at La Croissanterie in Marigot. Must stop here on each trip. (usually before we hit the market). I had the toasted ham and cheese croissant and hubby had the Continental breakfast; two croissants, jam, coffee and fresh squeezed OJ. Approximately $22 before tip. Some breakfasts were just a croissant or pastry from L'Orientique! (on lazy days)

Lunches were mostly in our studio also. We would buy a baguette in the morning and put just about anything on it for lunch..everything is better on a baguette.

But, we did have lunch at Chez Leadra. Hubby had creole shrimp wrap, I had a cheeseburger, couple of beers, soda...approximately $25 before tip. One lunch at Papagayo; grilled steak sandwich and BLT, beers, approximately $23 before tip. One day at the Perch...I had a hotdog, husband had a cheeseburger. Actually, we always feel the Perch has tasty food and it's reasonably priced. If you time it right, you don't have far to go for “happy hour.”

Dinners, as said, were in the studio and a few out. For my husband's birthday, he choose La Villa in Grand Case. We had never tried them before. It's a lovely setting, with impeccable service and a very friendly owner who, upon hearing it was my husband's birthday, brought us each a glass of delicious champagne (and, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cheap stuff...lol). Hubby had duck breast in a red berry sauce, I had the beefsteak. For an amuse bouche, we had a cold asparagus/leek/fennel soup. Very tasty and hubby doesn't even like “green.” The entrees were served with various components, scalloped potatoes, a melange of veggies, etc. Appetizers were onion soup and lobster bisque. For dessert, I had crème brulee sampler and caramel mousse. Now, let me spend a minute on the desserts...OMG! Crème brulee is my favorite dessert. This was delicious. Next, a small panna cotta with raspberry sauce, and lastly hazelnut ice cream...all on the same plate! My hubby loved the mousse and his was served with ice cream as well. This was a prix fixe menu, $49 per person. With drinks, bill came to $127. It was a lovely dinner.

We also had dinner at Villa Pizza. Friends we had met at Club Orient suggested it. It's in Cul de Sac and a very small roadside restaurant. It was wonderful and reasonable. We shared a warm goat cheese salad and a pizza. We had a couple of drinks and the bill was $28. Wow! That was nice. Very good service, lovely owners..Next, Piazza Pascal, another favorite. Donna and her husband are wonderful hosts. We shared a tomato/buffalo mozzarella salad. I had veal milanese and hubby had shrimp pesto over linguine, topped off with a strawberry sorbet for dessert. The meal was delicious. With a couple of drinks, we paid $85 before tip. Le Piment was next. We love this spot and it never fails to amaze us. Kristelle, the hostess, is adorable and remembers you from year to year. This year, I had the beef stew and hubby had seafood risotto. Now, I know you're thinking, beef stew? This was an amazing serving of absolutely fall apart, tender beef, in a rich gravy. It was presented with the veggies in a separate crock, roasted in olive oil and thyme. Well, it was out of this world. (in fact, we told friends about it and they tried it, and went back the next night for it, but they had sold out!). My husband's riotto was everything risotto should be; creamy, hot, delicious. It was cooked with shrimp, scallops and chorizo sausage...My fork kept finding it's way to his plate too! With a couple of drinks, bill was about $88 before tip..Left fat and happy.

Our “last supper” was at Papagayo (why get dressed). Larry had onion soup and I had a shrimp appetizer. For entrees we had the beef kabob and a wonderful filet mignon. Served with sauteed potatoes and vegetables (and bread, butter, bread, butter, etal). We also had a bottle of wine. Bill was approximately $108.

Other Fun Stuff. Since hubby celebrated his birthday on 7/20, he had three requests for gifts...a Tiko Tiko cruise, a massage and a nice French dinner...He succeeded in all three...We went on the Tiko Tiko with wonderful, new found friends, including Iain and the “goddess.” It was a nice sail, good food, more than enough booze and some snorkeling.

Next, the massage. Larry scheduled a “relaxation” massage with Emma at the wellness center. She was delightful and knowledgeable. When Larry retuned from his massage he was a new man ! The massage was one hour long and cost about $87 (no “happy ending” included)..

We've already covered the French dinner (La Villa)

As mentioned, we met some great people this trip. We even exchanged contact information, in hopes we meet up again next year. One group invited us to a “hotdog roast” on the beach one evening. He brought the grill and hotdogs, everyone else brought side dishes...It was a very nice evening.

Carol always says that the people at Club O are the greatest, and I think we both second that.

Shopping. We made a Rima stop, as we always like seeing what's there. We did not go into Phillipsburg, however, did go to the Marigot market. Larry likes purchasing a new T-Shirt each year from the “secret spot.” The woman does a new graphic design each year and the shirts are very nice. $25 each. We also found an adorable framed painting of Orient Bay. Next, hubby was kind enough to accompany me to Longchamp since I NEEDED a purse. Well, you know he says no one “needs” a purse. Ha! I bought a nice bag, in a pretty green leather, with crocodile design...It was approximately $50 less than the states.

Also, we made a visit to Tijon Perfume. I had wanted to see it, but we did not take the perfume making class. However, I bought perfume and soaps.

So, now it's time to start planning next year...

..."there's this one particular harbor"....