island gem has a point.. a late trip report is still a trip report... from memory, and trust me my memory serves me well!

We left for sxm later this year than usual to try something different. we arrived jan 27 for 3.5 weeks, or so. the plans were very much different this year.

[color:"green"]THE PLAN[/color]

i have a huge hankerin' for sxm and just can't get it out of my system and therefore MUST set foot on island for as long as utmost possible. my travelin partner has a hankerin for exploring more islands... and therefore we had yet to secure our plans upon arrival to paradise. on the books were statia, dominica, martinique, and st lucia. if i was lucky st barts as well.

i found a sweet vrbo two bdrm unit in orient village. it was very comfortable and i would say really enhanced my stay.

upon arrival we had many complications including cell phones that did not work, the property manager not showing up for over an hour, etc. we were exhausted. the property manager was very kind - and no fault of hers, late - and showed us everything we needed to know.

off we went to tap 5 for our comfort food. a great pizza and a few presidentes. i'm sure we were incoherent at the time but everyone was patient with us.

[color:"green"]STATIA[/color]

we met a pilot who was to take us to statia.. but this never happened due to unforeseen circumstances. we never did get there.
[color:"green"]
COCONUT RHUM
[/color]

i developed an early morning routine of acquiring coconut rhum from one of my friends first thing. it was a good start to my day though i later learned i much prefer coconut gin! lolol

my friend would machetee the coconut for me, make me a spoon to carve out the flesh or fill it with rhum then send me on my way.

[color:"green"]CONCH STEW[/color]

one day, another friend offered me fresh conch stew. it was soooooooooooo delicious i begged him for more. a few days later, i hung around the beach boys while they served conch stew and a baquette in an old dirty cast iron pot on the beach. i still wonder where they got the water...salt water or bathroom???? don't ask, don't tell.

subsequently, i developed a severe allergic reaction. i only clued in at harmony nights when my neck welted up and my necklace started chocking me. all is good.. i'm still here!

[color:"green"]HARMONY NIGHTS[/color]

attending two parades.. what a hoot! that lady with the drink table knows my number.. that stuff made my hips shake rattle and roll all the way down the street.

i was elated to see the steel pan band as the band leader gave me a cd last year. they are fantastic. as i danced the night away, the crowds clapped and cheered me on.. so of course i couldn't stop.. that is until the pirates of the caribbean parade made it way back to home base... before i kenw it, they were alllllllllllll dancing and drumming around me. well, the rest is PG 13 so we'll stop here. suffice to say, i danced, laughed, and had great conversations with the band, the cops, etc. i made it home safe with the same people if left with. which brings me to dominica...

[color:"green"]DOMINICA[/color]

it was always on our list and yet we still didn't have a plan. one of my tour guide contacts from dominica was on island at the same time so we met up. we ended up partying with him and having a grand ol time at harmony nights too. he was so sweet and innocent... so refreshing. when he left, he invited us to dominica, going as far as picking out dates for us. so we left two days later, all of a sudden for the nature isle.
[color:"green"]
REMO
[/color]

i met remo at harmony nights and somehow we crossed paths again. so off we go to cosmo. on the way he is singing his private rasta song (to the tune of tina turner's private dancer). he gave me his cd and i have since had it played locally. can you hear it now.. i'm not your private rasta... do anything for money, do what you want me to do.... lmao.... or rather shake these hips! i made it home safe a couple of hours later. the cuban band was excellent at cosmo in grand case.

[color:"green"]BLUNTY[/color]

i was serenaded pre launch of his new cd. doesn't happen everyday. got to be here to be serenaded (can one be gangsta rap serenaded??? lol)

[color:"green"]SHOPPING[/color]

Made it to marigot once.. bought pure vanilla, cocoa beans, cocoa stick, spices, etc. i'm a hit at home. everyone is talking about my souvenirs. that was easy!

[color:"green"]TOURS[/color]

didn't do any sailing or otherwise. sand gravity took over.. or was it the coconut rhum?

[color:"green"]BEACH BARS[/color]

made it to boo boo jam. it is nicely updated but the service is deplorable. so we left and never returned.

palm beach
service was also lacking. the bartender was more interested in talking about her makeup than serving us... so we left.

the bar north of bikini beach.. they started having weekend entertainment. it was excellent tho no one was showing up. they would stay open, my friend who works there said but the crowd was thin.

bikini beach
- what can i say. i love you roger and corina! good thing the wall can't talk! craaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy

buddha bar made the mistake of ordering a mixed drink.. i think it was 9 or 11 usd. that's more than here! got burried in the sand which never helps with the sand flies. oh well, i'm working on a map of sxm by joining all the dots/scars.

Tai Chi - i fell in love with the bartender here. man he knows how to keep us fulfilled. later we went upstairs to Tai Club. new owners no longer sun beach's laurent. it is an uber cool place tho bring your wallet. no beer, all drinks start at 10usd. but it is the place to be seen. what a scene it is. great dj!

orange fever - jos is gone, or so the new bartender said so we left here too.. but i think jos is there still. my loss.

juanitos - do they know how to spoil me!

perch - willy is still the best. i have my stool reserved daily. i make sure to keep her in business.

i almost forgot,kokoa - ate a delicious meal with an digestif.

aloha - what's his name??? is a hoot... we shared many a digestif... every ma doodoo flavour was sipped and discussed again and again as if it were our first time. what a riot! i'll be back

sun beach - didn't go here as often this year for personal reasons. love this place, the chill tempo and all. their beach boy is so professional but... so many other options.

[color:"green"]FOOD[/color]

at at safari grill twice. the first time was delicious and the second was dissapointing. life goes on.

[color:"green"]FRIENDS[/color]

So many friends to see and visit. not enough time in the day. celebrated my friends bday at l'hoste into the weeeeeeeeeee hours. memories! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, they'll kick us out.

[color:"green"]MEMORIES[/color]

to my american friends.. you are right.. fasten your seatbelts - here she comes... i had a blast dancing the night away for sure.

to my local friends... how do i say; yes, i love to dance. thanks!

[color:"green"]REGRETS[/color]

i didn't get a chance to swim as often as i like since i'm still trying to figure out where everyone hides their valuables/keys.

i wish i made it statia for a hike. next time.

i slept in alot later this year than in the past due to the comfort and darkness. there are not enough hours in the day to juggle all the sand gravity conflicts!

i do deeply regret leaving in such a haste though i would hate to have missed dominica and st lucia. can someone explain how to fit it all in without feeling shorted?
so many more memories for sure.. all of wish will last a lifetime. i miss my friends already.

i met many new friends and revived even more. i have empathy for the locals who are forever opening their hearts to us tourists, like revolving doors. thanks a bunch... gros bizzzzzzzzzz! masha dankey.

can't wait to start a new countdown!

ps we also made it to st lucia. this was the trip of a lifetime!