I received help from this board on our return to SXM after 6 years away on where to stay so I felt compelled to post a trip report on our glorious 2 weeks on SXM. We stayed at Pasanggrahan in Philipsburg in the new wing and it was fabulous. Rooms are huge and brand new. The brochure in our room said “The Best Kept Secret in the Caribbean” so I don’t want to say too much so we can get a room when we go back! I’ll answer any questions personally if any of you have any. The staff is wonderful- Colbert, Darnette (sp?), Janet. The two owners Tini and Oli were there as well and very gracious. Adorable grand-daughter. We ate at the restaurant the first night and they had just received Saba lobsters that day. Treated myself to one to welcome us back. Outstandingly fresh. My wife had the freshest shrimp we ever tasted. The breakfast here is well known and the coffee is outstanding. Unlimited refills. Breakfast isn’t cheap as all they offer is fresh squeezed OJ at $5.00 per glass but the bottomless pot of coffee made it worthwhile. Hell, we were on vacation! Live it up!. Our days are defined by good weather and lots of beach time as we require nothing else. The island weather cooperated with us gloriously other than the night the heavens opened as we were getting ready to go to IZI and dumped 4 inches of rain in 2 hours. We stayed at the hotel for dinner again as the roads became impassable and the schools all closed the next day. We tried many of the restaurants recommended by this board and Lesley Bruce as well as going back to many of our old standbys.
Bajatsu- Lesley recommended as did many of you. We were surprised that both of our steaks were cooked sans any seasoning at all (including salt and pepper) but the steaks were juicy. I guess they were to be seasoned to taste by the diner. We enjoyed the steak at Rare more.
Moulin Foo- one of our best meals. Cheris was open and we ate outside but it didn’t bother us.
Temptation- another winner recommended by Lesley and many of you. Absolutely our favorite. Mama was there and so proud of her son’s work. Try the bruschetta appetizer. We split one portion. Rare is the same chef and Papa was there. Loved this ambiance as well.
Escargot- a little too hot for me this night so I was a little uncomfortable. Windows all open but no breeze. Great rack of lamb, though. Only overly warm night of the whole trip and we ate outside whenever possible.
Taitu- we found this little place in Cul de Sac years ago and always go back. Menu in dollars. I had curried goat here. Shared a bottle of Organic wine from France. Who knew! It was delicious. The best part is the rum raisin ice cream dessert made with 12 year aged rum!
Poulet D’Orleans- if you haven’t visited Tony Romney here, you should. Dinner is bare bones but always tasty. Menu is on a white board out front. 2 appetizers (escargot or crab back our night), 3 entrees- Baked Chicken BBQ, Creole or Peanut sauce (we both had chicken). Potatoes, vegetables and an $11 bottle of red wine served cold that was surprisingly good. No dessert here. Total bill $47. Anthony Bourdain reviewed him in 2008 I think- Tony said he had no idea who he was!
Yvettes- our other old favorite in Orleans. Best whole pan fried snapper on the island but they were out! We went on parade night and all the locals decided to eat there as well so they sold out of the whole fish fast. I had the seafood plate and my wife the snapper filet. Always fresh and delicious. Felix is still there cooking away with Yvette’s recipes.
Bistrot Caraibes- Our favorite Grand Case place and the only one we went to there (twice) due to the euro conversion. I had lobster fresh out of the tank the first night. The brothers remembered us from 6 years ago and the busiest restaurant in Grand Case.
Pineapple Petes- we went on the reviews from this board. They only had large lobsters for the thermidor at $60 per so we went with shrimp. Food was good but a little too commercial for us. Like Fridays.
Greenhouse- we’re sorry we waited for the last night for this one but it was Prime Rib night so I was in heaven. Food and service excellent. We’ll definitely go back next trip.
We experienced our first Carnival Grand Parade on Monday night the 30th from the second level balcony of the Pasanggrahan right on Front Street. What fun the locals have there.
Great trip and we will be back- not in 6 years but in 6 months!