Member Spotlight
she314
she314
RI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (EllenS, Jerry_R, GeorgeC1, StMartinFan, steve74, RichiT, jbutah, SeeDiver, WWII, charlie, Swifty, SXMScubaman, Don_and_Linda, Colour1, louismcc, SoakInSaltwater, lbksxm, richard4th, Jeannius, 4 invisible), 874 guests, and 68 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Come on Noel, you're better than that. #178800
12/24/2018 11:12 PM
12/24/2018 11:12 PM
Louisville, KY
NoelHall Offline OP
Traveler
NoelHall  Offline OP
Traveler
Louisville, KY
Toward the end of our week we had planned an overnight at Anegada, been there many times. Winds that morning were brisk, 25-28 knot range, and with a crew with no sailing experience we decided to motor over from Gorda Sound. A little lumpy, but not bad, we just kept everyone in the cockpit or salon (no one on the trampoline). All was going good until approaching entrance channel into the anchorage and (damn-it) here comes a dark cloud and rain. Had everyone ready to grab the first mooring ball as we entered the anchorage. Saw a nice location closer to Anegada Reef Hotel, but had to pass through a couple of outer balls to reach it …. shouldn't be a problem, famous last words. I guess it was a sort of "Hold my beer and watch this" moment.

Made my 'crosswind' and immediately blown into one of the mooring balls I was passing between (and of course I was looking straight ahead). Well, the rest is history. Wrapped the pennant on the port side propeller and cut it from the mooring ball. Now I've got one engine (catamaran) in a brisk wind in the middle of the mooring field. I spun around and managed to grab one of the outside mooring balls to stop and assess the situation. Didn't hit anything, just a little stressful. Gentleman on boat next to us was shouting I had the pennant dangling on my port side. I felt like a total idiot (credit card captain, I admit). We are divers, so I put on my mask, snorkel and fins and entered the water. Darn, looked like a brand new pennant I had torn off. I unwrapped and brought on board. Luckily the engine is working and no damage to the propeller. Unfortunately it did crack a fiberglass skirt surrounding the out-drive, but not part of the hull itself. Don't worry, I made an incident report to the charter company and gave the pennant to the fellow from Potter's who came out to recruit us for dinner. I have no idea if he would be able to get it to the right people to repair the ball.

What did I learn? Obviously I shouldn't have gotten greedy and in hindsight should have taken the first mooring ball. That way I could have waited for the weather to settle, better observe what was going on the mooring field, and made a good plan for moving the boat a little later. While on Anegada we found Big Bamboo was in good shape, as was Cow Wreck (Belle was on Tortola at the time). The folks at Wonky Dog were attentive and service was good, although still under construction. I thought the lobster thermidor was a little off from what I remember. Maybe it was just me. Dean was right on time with our vehicle (as always). Didn't see Garfield, who I always enjoy. We didn't make it to Neptune's or Potters. Anegada Beach Club was closed for private party. Back road between the airport and Cow Wreck was actually better than it ever was.

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com
BVI Sponsors
Re: Come on Noel, you're better than that. [Re: NoelHall] #178813
12/25/2018 11:51 AM
12/25/2018 11:51 AM
trueblue Offline
Traveler
trueblue  Offline
Traveler
Don’t worry Noel! And Merry Christmas! We all have our Anegada stories! At least you didn’t throw the pennant back in the water, which we have witnessed! I’m thinking a bad day in Anegada beats a cold Chicago Christmas any day!

Re: Come on Noel, you're better than that. [Re: NoelHall] #178816
12/25/2018 01:18 PM
12/25/2018 01:18 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Happy Noel everyone!

Re: Come on Noel, you're better than that. [Re: NoelHall] #178880
12/26/2018 10:34 PM
12/26/2018 10:34 PM
New Jersey, USA
DanS Offline
Traveler
DanS  Offline
Traveler
New Jersey, USA
Don't worry, I made an incident report to the charter company...

As Arlo Guthrie might say, thanks for being so brave and honest on the telephone. grin

Seriously Noel, thanks for relating the story. It's so easy to let your guard down and/or forget all the things that can go wrong. The reminder is very much appreciated.

Dan cheers