pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (toast, MrEZgoin, RatmansWife, eightzerobits, steve74, xrayman67, cbf, Travel Talker, RichiT, Uksimonusa, jeepers, Mark2dBVI, jaxon60, Memphré, magpie, Midsouth, TravelHat, GeorgeC1, sugarae, 10 invisible), 960 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip #178959
12/28/2018 10:29 AM
12/28/2018 10:29 AM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
This was our third BVI charter and our first with Captain’s Compass.
Our first two charters went very well and were with two different companies.
The change in companies was strictly due to specific boat availability and price.

First to note, this charter was supposed to have happened December 2017, but was delayed due to the still impactful Irma.
Brent was very open and honest about the whole process, and we feel very well treated throughout the whole delay.

The boat was an older 43’ Leopard, our first cat.
While not a new boat, two items jumped out that seemed unique beyond the cat/mono differences.
The boat was very clean, and I think the best smelling (more accurately non smelling) boat we have been on, including the Lake Ontario marina queens I used to race on.
The other notable was the dingy motor, which all week kept getting comments, “I can’t believe it keeps starting with one pull!”
(We are used to getting motors that start well at check out and later in the day because the have been warmed up, but cold starts are workouts all week.)
The boat although older operated very well. No issues with any equipment on board. solar panels meant no need to run engines in the morning. Used less than 10 gallons of diesel for entire trip.

Blue Water Divers did our PADI open water certification for all 4 of us.
They were great. Compared with stories of friends who had open water dives in other places in the world, ours were long, thorough and fun. Full marks and I assume we will go dive again with them.

Those two scuba days ended up dominating our schedule.

Our Stops:

We spent time at Cooper. Land amenities are very similar to before. Some shops have swapped spots but still same experience. One of our favourite places. Cistern Point seemed a bit less colourful and robust but a good snorkel.
Restaurant and coffee were as expected, very good.

I had loaded the boatyball app and was going to use it, but we ended up leaving the Marina early and heading straight there and it was a Tuesday, so we went direct and got a ball on the other end (North,East) along the shore which is a favourite spot.
I fall into the “I like the concept if they enforce it group”. Happy to pay an extra $5 to know the ball is there and I can wait and show up at 3pm. But the first time someone has my ball It would be my last time using it. I will not be fighting people for a ball, not why I am on holidays.
Note it appears I see a lot of boats using balls they shouldn’t be on, seems they really need some enforcement system all around BVI. Dream boats with paid captains on snorking balls eating lunch, et cetera.

Peter Island had lots of balls, we didn’t visit WT. it was really just a SCUBA day for us.

Marina Cay had the tent restaurant open on the Lower level. The restaurant got high lunch reviews from us because of the “normal” and well priced junk food like chicken wings. Diamond Cay was one of the better snorkeling spots for the trip.
Lots of boats coming and going in Marina Cay with the new charter base at Scrub.
We ferried to Trellis Bay. Not a lot of action, one set of artist stores and expensive groceries. $20 for small peanut butter, small bread and litre of milk.

Note on provisioning, Bobbies in Road Town and Nanny Cay were very well priced and stocked. We didn’t get to Riteway because we were walking from the ferry. The couple of other small grocery stores we went into seemed really expensive, Bobbies seemed very well priced, and the Nanny Cay store was quite well stocked as well.

Norman Island was quiet until very late in the day. We had appetizers in the restaurant, it was really good, although it was an $80 late afternoon snack.

Snorkeling along the edge of Norman was the surprise bonus for numbers of fish, just rock backdrop but lots of life.
The caves also seemed more full of activity than I remember both above and below the surface. The beauty of chartering and just deciding to come back when no one is there.

No issues with customs or ferry, all travel went on schedule to and from YYZ.
Only ammendment was we had originally planned or pick up our boys on our second day in West End, but they can only clear customs in Road Town so we stayed in the Marina an extra night.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: Bgs] #178960
12/28/2018 10:51 AM
12/28/2018 10:51 AM
Ottawa, Canada
UncleLuff Offline
Traveler
UncleLuff  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the great trip report! Glade you had a great time. We are going to miss BVIs this year. Heading down to Grenada and SVGs in May. Going to be a long Canadian winter through with still 4 months to go!

Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: UncleLuff] #178962
12/28/2018 11:07 AM
12/28/2018 11:07 AM
Midlothian, VA
Twalsh Offline
Traveler
Twalsh  Offline
Traveler
Midlothian, VA
Great trip report! We chartered with Captain’s Compass in 2016 on one of Brent’s FP catamarans. The trip was fantastic, simply due to
Brent’s diligent yacht preparations and personable/professional attitude. We anticipate returning next year and include Anegada in the itinerary.

Fair Winds!

Tom

Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: Bgs] #178964
12/28/2018 11:45 AM
12/28/2018 11:45 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Does Brent permit Anegada?

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: warren460] #178965
12/28/2018 11:55 AM
12/28/2018 11:55 AM
Toronto, ON
B
Bgs Offline OP
Traveler
Bgs  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Toronto, ON
I don’t personally know about Brent’s process for Anegada.
He asked if we were planning on going, I said no, so there was no further talk.
I do know the website said the mono’s draft was too deep to go, but I have had heard from people who were on his cats that have been to Anegada.
He did red line White Bay at JVD

Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: warren460] #179047
12/29/2018 09:10 AM
12/29/2018 09:10 AM
P
PEDCO Offline
Traveler
PEDCO  Offline
Traveler
P
Brent does allow Anegada on most of his boats - he just reassures you know the approach and that he does not have quick access to Anegada if there an issue

Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: Bgs] #179064
12/29/2018 11:47 AM
12/29/2018 11:47 AM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
Are there any charter companies that offer a chase boat for Anegada if something goes wrong?

Re: Captain’s Compass-Blue Water Divers-our trip [Re: Bgs] #179067
12/29/2018 12:29 PM
12/29/2018 12:29 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Nice report..the store at Nanny Cay is a Riteway BTW..used to be Bobby's til a couple of years ago...much better now.