Member Spotlight
calsail
calsail
Manhattan Beach, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Steve27, lcote, SXMScubaman, Whale Tail, RatmansWife, Kennys, jagmansr, Colour1, CaribbeanCanadians, Swifty, Reid, Fitzhughlaw, Deepcut, MKGrey, GaryC, Zanshin, Instigator, JandIrene, Husker, Bernd, 11 invisible), 803 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Santiago Chile trip report #179452
01/02/2019 11:25 PM
01/02/2019 11:25 PM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline OP
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline OP
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Back from the weekend trip. Arrived, Dec 27, departed the 31st. Quick Summary, with random thoughts. Flights were great, took off about 11pm and immediately went to bed. Very cool views out the windows with sunrise over the Andes, landed about 630am and out the door with a car about 745am. We rented a room in an apt for about $50/night in a very upper middle class area. Very convenient to everything. Everyone was extremely nice, even with my limited Spanish I got around great. Everything also very clean, but not necessarily modern which some can confuse with dirty. Also obvious shanty downs along highway in down and a lot of nice high rise construction in town.

Not a lot to do in Santiago, just another big city. Many driving Tunnels under the city to keep traffic moving.
When we do out weekend trips we stay in one place and drive a different quadrant each day, looking at the map and following random tourism signs. We were not disappointed. Downloaded Google Maps to the phone, so driving was simple. We use TMobile for our cell service and had 4g almost everywhere. No automatic rental cars, so fortunately I can drive a stick.

Everyone said we needed to go to Valparaiso....that was over rated. The beach was limited and not clean and it is a huge city. But many people learning how to surf. We were inclined to buy a beer and watch, but you can't buy or have beer on any beaches. We did find nicer beaches, down by Isla Negra.

Found some nearby glacier lakes and some ski resorts....again no beer.

A lot of fresh fruit for sale at road side stands.

Best part was sunsets about 915 pm and warm days. We love South America in our Winter. Santiago is about as far South as Dallas is North.

Like all Spanish countries, people eat late, which with the 3 hour time change, made it our normal dinner time.

Had an amazing French Bakery in our Apt Building, so that make breakfast a no brainer.

Drove down into a volcano at Laguna Negra, the drive was on a one lane road with a crater to the left and rock wall to the right, not for the faint of heart. It is also a two way road....adding to the fun.

Sand Dunes and ConCon were cool to see but enough black sand to make them unbearable to walk on even with flip flops.

They really celebrate the dead there with amazing road side monuments and flowers all over the cemeteries.

All over are signs warning of avalanche, tsunami, volcano and no warning sign about the earthquakes we felt.

Last day we finally found a winery and had a very pleasant afternoon, great location. Returned our rental car and flew home with a 1030 pm flight. The 787 is a much better aircraft for the trip back than the 777 we arrived in. Landed DFW and the mobile APP is the only way to go. All the South American flights land at the same time, lines were long for anyone without Global Entry or using the App.

I have some photos up on my FB page...if you can find me.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 01/03/2019 10:13 AM.

Mike
Sponsors
Re: Santiago Chile trip report [Re: kneafseym] #179461
01/03/2019 10:15 AM
01/03/2019 10:15 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi. I made this it's own thread so it wouldn't get lost. Thanks so much for the report!

Carol Hill

Moderated by  Eric_Hill