Top Posters(30 Days)
RonDon 115
pat 42
jazzgal 40
Todd 39
Member Spotlight
jmbcomms
jmbcomms
New England (home), St. Maarten (many weeks each year) and California (where my daughter is)
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Donaegada, lcote, eilandmens, GaryB, timnboston, Fran, Kennys, JohnB, pbd007, Time Will Tell, KenW, RickBlaine, Whale Tail, tradewinds, SXMScubaman, patentshark, bostonbob, MKGrey, boucharda, tmsxmsails, xrayman67, sailingbob, vetteguy, BHK, mark37, Zanshin, 706jim, Fitzhughlaw, Kiles41, duckfat, sugarae, JerseyPal, socamon, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, ColoBoater, 11 invisible), 1,144 guests, and 48 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183564
02/09/2019 12:34 PM
02/09/2019 12:34 PM
Key West, FL
R
Rich G Offline
Rich G  Offline
R
Key West, FL
Club Fantastico is a great replacement for those Orient Bay goers that want something a little higher end. And you can walk to the village and beach.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183570
02/09/2019 02:22 PM
02/09/2019 02:22 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Thanks, Rich. Never been here, but isn't the walk back to Club Fantastico like really uphill? Not like that wouldn't be a good cardio thing, but I believe it's rather steep. It was so sad when places like Alamanda and Palm Court got destroyed by Irma because they were super close to the beach (especially Alamanda). Haven't heard from the folks who run Palm Court, but here we are 17 months post hurricane and neither hotel has returned. What a shame.

Re: Club Orient [Re: SammyM] #183576
02/09/2019 03:11 PM
02/09/2019 03:11 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, Club Fantastico is up a pretty steep hill. Too steep for me, but I'm lazy.

Carol Hill
Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183580
02/09/2019 03:20 PM
02/09/2019 03:20 PM
Vermont
sxmmartini Offline
Traveler
sxmmartini  Offline
Traveler
Vermont
Originally Posted by encpirate
Sorry for the intrusion. It.has been a while since I have been on here. How is Club Orient for last week inApril, first week in May. Also, GCBC? Obviously I have not followed for a while, but hope and expect everyone respects my post and replies honestly.

No reason to say sorry for posting here... Posts are welcome! Club Orient is really great and last week of April is perfect.
Have fun and enjoy your time there.

Re: Club Orient [Re: SammyM] #183604
02/09/2019 05:56 PM
02/09/2019 05:56 PM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Originally Posted by SammyM
Thanks, Rich. Never been here, but isn't the walk back to Club Fantastico like really uphill? Not like that wouldn't be a good cardio thing, but I believe it's rather steep. It was so sad when places like Alamanda and Palm Court got destroyed by Irma because they were super close to the beach (especially Alamanda). Haven't heard from the folks who run Palm Court, but here we are 17 months post hurricane and neither hotel has returned. What a shame.

Chloe and Thierry at Club Fantastico are well known for looking after thier guests. Although I've not had the pleasure of being a guest there yet, we've some dear friends who do stay there. Transportation is one of the many things these exceptional hosts do.

If the phone doesn't ring .... it's me
Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183633
02/09/2019 10:23 PM
02/09/2019 10:23 PM
People's Republic of Md
dannan Offline
Traveler
dannan  Offline
Traveler
People's Republic of Md
We will be back in March, and really looking forward to it. It’s been a year since we were there, but every trip I walk the entire beach every morning nude up to about 830 am. Never had a problem. The only exception is I don’t do it on weekends because the locals are of course off work, and sometimes frown on it. Not trying to push my luck. But 5 days out of the week is fine with me.

Re: Club Orient [Re: dannan] #183651
02/10/2019 09:47 AM
02/10/2019 09:47 AM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Originally Posted by dannan
We will be back in March, and really looking forward to it. It’s been a year since we were there, but every trip I walk the entire beach every morning nude up to about 830 am. Never had a problem. The only exception is I don’t do it on weekends because the locals are of course off work, and sometimes frown on it. Not trying to push my luck. But 5 days out of the week is fine with me.

We will be staying at Mt Vernon this trip and Im hoping for some early morning nude beach time in front before we make our way down to see Cedrick, but I dont want to be offensive to anyone. We'll see.

Last edited by Hdrdr911; 02/10/2019 09:50 AM.

Re: Club Orient [Re: JohnB] #183692
02/10/2019 04:03 PM
02/10/2019 04:03 PM
Indiana
CarlosII Offline
Traveler
CarlosII  Offline
Traveler
Indiana
Our first trip was the year before Luis. Walking the beach end to end in the buff was something we did more than once a day from Club O. I guess like everything else, it's just another memory of the "good old days".

Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183721
02/10/2019 09:35 PM
02/10/2019 09:35 PM
People's Republic of Md
dannan Offline
Traveler
dannan  Offline
Traveler
People's Republic of Md
Just go early. Should be ok.

Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183748
02/11/2019 09:25 AM
02/11/2019 09:25 AM
McLean, VA, USA
decaym Offline
Traveler
decaym  Offline
Traveler
McLean, VA, USA
Speaking of gawkers and pests from the cruises, the parking lot at Pedro's seemed to become the main gathering spot for that. The brave ones head on down to the beach but quite a few just stay up in the lot taking pictures towards the resort.

My wife and I have gone to Orient since 2004. She used to be comfortable walking topless from one end of the beach to the other. Unfortunately, the last few times over about the last five years it hasn't been that way. Once the sand in front of Pedro's washed out it was necessary to go through the parking lot just to get from one side of the beach to the other. She made the mistake of not taking a top with her one time and said it was really uncomfortable getting past that parking lot.

Did Irma at least put some sand back in front of Pedro's location?

Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183757
02/11/2019 11:49 AM
02/11/2019 11:49 AM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Not sure, but Pedro's is long gone so that should not be a problem. Even in the past when the sand was washed away we just stepped on and over the rocks to get from one end to the other. Not once did we ever have to go through the parking area where the taxi drivers would drop people off. Of course, I would often stop at Pedro's to grab a beer which made the walk complete!

As for gawkers and pests I would say just ignore them. I think some folks worry about this too much, and when you're worrying about something it takes away from your vacation time. The very first time I went without apparel on Orient Beach I nervously looked around to see who might be watching or judging me. But, I soon learned that absolutely no one cared. Everyone was having fun and enjoying themselves with or without swimsuits on. If some people want to stare let them ... I'll take this as a compliment!

Re: Club Orient [Re: SammyM] #183767
02/11/2019 12:37 PM
02/11/2019 12:37 PM
McLean, VA, USA
decaym Offline
Traveler
decaym  Offline
Traveler
McLean, VA, USA
As for gawkers and pests I would say just ignore them. I think some folks worry about this too much, and when you're worrying about something it takes away from your vacation time. The very first time I went without apparel on Orient Beach I nervously looked around to see who might be watching or judging me. But, I soon learned that absolutely no one cared. Everyone was having fun and enjoying themselves with or without swimsuits on. If some people want to stare let them ... I'll take this as a compliment!

Gawkers were easy to ignore, but the pests would be downright pesky. My wife, who was 45 at the time, did not appreciate having to wave off several guys trying to strike up conversations as she was trying to get across the parking area. Funny thing, she didn't have that problem when I was walking with her.

Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183777
02/11/2019 02:51 PM
02/11/2019 02:51 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
Allison start topless then go "all the way" as your fear ebbs or confidence rises. I started topless at Dawn Beach way back when the Westin Hotel wasn't there.

Re: Club Orient [Re: decaym] #183842
02/12/2019 08:46 AM
02/12/2019 08:46 AM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Originally Posted by decaym

Gawkers were easy to ignore, but the pests would be downright pesky. My wife, who was 45 at the time, did not appreciate having to wave off several guys trying to strike up conversations as she was trying to get across the parking area. Funny thing, she didn't have that problem when I was walking with her.

Tha gawkers are actually quite amusing. We get a kick out of those couples that start to walk down Club O beach and all of a sudden turn around abruptly with an obvious heated discussion taking place. Funny stuff. The pests are the secret photo and video takers as well as those who actually engage us on our own turf about our choice to be nude. One poor sap actually pointed a camera right at my wife, despite being warned not to. He paid dearly for that one, including the loss of an expensive camera.

Re: Club Orient [Re: Hdrdr911] #183845
02/12/2019 09:13 AM
02/12/2019 09:13 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Originally Posted by Hdrdr911
Originally Posted by decaym

Tha gawkers are actually quite amusing. We get a kick out of those couples that start to walk down Club O beach and all of a sudden turn around abruptly with an obvious heated discussion taking place. Funny stuff. The pests are the secret photo and video takers as well as those who actually engage us on our own turf about our choice to be nude. One poor sap actually pointed a camera right at my wife, despite being warned not to. He paid dearly for that one, including the loss of an expensive camera.

Perhaps I am missing something here but isn't Orient Beach, along with ALL beaches on the island, a PUBLIC beach and not anybody's "own turf"?

I personally don't care one way or the other about others personal choices on Orient Beach but the continued use of the term "textiles" and considering a stretch of beach a group or a persons "own turf" is rather disrespectful. Kind of like the "gawkers" that are being referred to.

J.D.
Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183853
02/12/2019 10:09 AM
02/12/2019 10:09 AM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
You make a very good point, carrier. The beach in front of what was once Club Orient was not their property, but it was only natural that the Club Orient contingent adopted this as their own. And, you're correct. The choice of whether to go nude or leave your swimsuit on is strictly a personal matter. Over the years I've done this both ways and I'm still the same person.

As for snapping photos let's face it. Everyone has a camera phone these days. If people want to snap selfies of themselves on the beach, I have no issues with that. But, if they begin to snap photos of others some degree of mutual respect should prevail. This should not be done without the consent of the people being photographed. But, when you worry about this or you're just not comfortable with the possibility of being photographed then maybe a more secluded beach location (i.e., Happy Bay Beach) might be the answer. Just an option.

Re: Club Orient [Re: SammyM] #183855
02/12/2019 10:26 AM
02/12/2019 10:26 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Very much agree with your "common sense" approach. Thank you.

This "our turf" sentiment has at times spread to all of Orient Beach, Cupecoy Beach and just about any other beach where people feel like doing their own personal thing. This is often without regard to local laws, local customs and residents and other visitors. It is like saying "doing this or that" has been "acceptable" at "xyz beach" in the past. Perhaps some do not know the local laws or customs and that is how it happens but I have also seen it attempted on Anguilla and it is usually dealt with swiftly by a local.

J.D.
Re: Club Orient [Re: RonDon] #183856
02/12/2019 10:27 AM
02/12/2019 10:27 AM
Edison, NJ
Allison731 Offline
Traveler
Allison731  Offline
Traveler
Edison, NJ
Originally Posted by RonDon
Allison start topless then go "all the way" as your fear ebbs or confidence rises. I started topless at Dawn Beach way back when the Westin Hotel wasn't there.

I was thinking that, but of course my shoulders burn bad in the sun, even with the best sunscreen.

Re: Club Orient [Re: encpirate] #183863
02/12/2019 12:00 PM
02/12/2019 12:00 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Allison,

If I was you, it’s not my shoulders I’d be most worried about! The twin peaks can and will burn badly and while not from personal experience, I have it on good authority, this can be extremely painful.

If you do happen to end up with a bad sunburn anywhere, Biofine (perhaps Biofine?) can be purchased otc at Maho Pharmacy and probably at most others, too, and it works wonders in relieving the pain from a severe sunburn.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Club Orient [Re: ruralcarrier] #183868
02/12/2019 12:28 PM
02/12/2019 12:28 PM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Very much agree with your "common sense" approach. Thank you.

This "our turf" sentiment has at times spread to all of Orient Beach, Cupecoy Beach and just about any other beach where people feel like doing their own personal thing. This is often without regard to local laws, local customs and residents and other visitors. It is like saying "doing this or that" has been "acceptable" at "xyz beach" in the past. Perhaps some do not know the local laws or customs and that is how it happens but I have also seen it attempted on Anguilla and it is usually dealt with swiftly by a local.

Ok lets do some common sense here then. The only place it is legal to be nude on the island is that one small section of Orient. It is in that context that the term " our turf " applies. My comment was only about Orient and no where else.That section of the beach is for all of us who enjoy naturalism to do our thing if you will . There is a reason why the no photography restriction applies. It did not go away with Club O and is enforced to this day.That means no cameras of any kind. It doesnt matter if you are ok with cameras there .Many of us are not and thats why the rule. Yes, the beach is shared with those who prefer to be clothed, as it should be in a mutually respectfull environment. Too often that is not the case. I dont need or want anyones criticism or judgement for doing what I have a perfectly legal right to do. I respect the rights of other people on the " textile " side and do not cross that line as unfortunately some do.

Last edited by Hdrdr911; 02/12/2019 12:34 PM.

Re: Club Orient [Re: Hdrdr911] #183870
02/12/2019 12:46 PM
02/12/2019 12:46 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
So what make it illegal to have a camera there and take pictures of your friend or friends with you? Or a selfie of you and the beach or water? I can see the difference of directly taking a picture of someone without permission, which is unacceptable, but to just take a random scenic shot is to me OK.

Re: Club Orient [Re: Hdrdr911] #183871
02/12/2019 12:47 PM
02/12/2019 12:47 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, actually French law provides that no one should be photographed without their permission. It doesn't matter whether the person is clothed or not. So hdrdr, your statement is not correct. What is prohibited is NOT cameras per se, but taking someone's picture without their permission.

This one is done.

Carol Hill
Page 2 of 2 1 2