Member Spotlight
wct49
wct49
under the Paul B in 39073
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (steve74, boucharda, Wingman, JeanneB, MrEZgoin, BillR, 7 invisible), 880 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Things to do in Dominica? #18528
02/04/2013 10:44 AM
02/04/2013 10:44 AM
SXM
SxmNer Offline OP
Traveler
SxmNer  Offline OP
Traveler
SXM
Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted in a while but i'm dusting off my passport and hitting the road again. I'm planing a trip to Dominica in May. Any suggestions on things to do there? I'll surely hit up some rivers and want to check out the Carib reservation. Sadly i won't be able to hike the trails but would still like to be emerged in nature. Are there any zip-line courses there? Geographically where's a good area to stay in (close to everything)? I'm not looking for beaches i got that here. Any "must do's"?
Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited by SxmNer; 02/04/2013 10:53 AM.
Sponsors
Re: Things to do in Dominica? [Re: SxmNer] #18529
02/05/2013 08:18 AM
02/05/2013 08:18 AM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline
Traveler
S
Scots Head at the south of the island is one of my favorite places to spend the day. It's a small fishing village and there is a well protected bay that has good snorkling, at the shelf it drops from about 30 feet to 200 meters. You can get there by bus from Roseau. Champagne Reef is also nice, but it is very rocky and a little difficult to get into the water. In the north at Portsmouth you can take a boat ride up the river to a bar in the bush, very relaxing as motors aren't allowed and they paddle the boats up and. back

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!
Re: Things to do in Dominica? [Re: Sunset_Sammy] #18530
02/08/2013 11:15 AM
02/08/2013 11:15 AM
SXM
SxmNer Offline OP
Traveler
SxmNer  Offline OP
Traveler
SXM
Thanks for advice Sunset Sammy. I've followed along with your various trip reports.

Re: Things to do in Dominica? [Re: SxmNer] #18531
02/08/2013 12:52 PM
02/08/2013 12:52 PM
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
DawnB Offline
Traveler
DawnB  Offline
Traveler
Kitchener, Ontario Canada
Send a PM to captainmark on here, he's heading to Dominica today to work on his house there - very familiar with the area, and I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

Dawn

Email me~ dawncustode@gmail.com
Re: Things to do in Dominica? [Re: SxmNer] #18532
02/10/2013 12:03 AM
02/10/2013 12:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

def don't miss scott's head snorkelling.

a short walk in the botanical gardens in roseau is inspiring esp if you are looking for some down time.

make sure you check out the many waterfalls/pools. i really enjoyed my lengthy soak in the warm sulfur pools (at the head of the twin falls.. now what where they called?)

trafalgar and emerald falls, and titou gorge are nice too (at the foot of boiling lake trail and the cave is where they filmed pirates of caribbean - it's pretty obvious once you have seen teh caves to recognize the scene)

middleham falls is quite the hike in.

calibashie region is of special interest for its historical significance. lots of arts and crafts including the most lovely handcrafted baskets.

if you need a tour guide..i recommend donaldson from nature isle explorers. he gets tonnes of positive trip advisor comments, which is how i found him.

many hikes are difficult but if possible, i would suggest a few simpler hikes to explore the natural vegetation.. walking in a tropical rain forest awakens many senses... wild orchids, parrots, bamboo, water falls, fresh air, tranquility.. you will find it all in dominica.

as for central location...? roseau is central but 'to hot' according to locals, and less safe. i would suggest anything just a few minutes outside of roseau if this area interests you.

for more info... the girl selling garnet rings at marigot market (near the restaurants and silver lady) IS FROM dominica and can provide insight. she's a great ambassador to her country.

dominica is sure to please you. bring warm clothes as the dampness can go right thru you if you stay in higher elevation... this from a canadian. lololol

and of course you already know about the bountiful fruits and vegetables not to be missed.

enjoy, i know i'll be returning someday soon

crazy

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva