Member Spotlight
ecm56
ecm56
Northern Virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Swifty, StMartinFan, BillDauterive, Fran, Cincinnati_Kid, foreversxm, steve74, KirkB, MrEZgoin, Halcyon, timnboston, jbutah, pandpfromcanada, cbf, cbinparadise, marisol, wlpdmurf, xrayman67, GaryB, CaribbeanCanadians, JohnandBev, MKGrey, onlymedication, cwoody, richard4th, RichiT, kccouple, pony600, indi, Jspoone, mscottc, RatmansWife, ggffrr11, 3 invisible), 642 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kailani #185786
03/01/2019 10:15 AM
03/01/2019 10:15 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline OP
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline OP
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Morning all!

My wife and I have been going to the BVi once or twice a year since '05. All land based. CGB, White Bay Jost and lately Anegada. We have watched in awe over the years all you all on your boats. This year we have decided to step up and sail. Since I have no experience whatsoever sailing we opted for a crewed charter for November 2019. We will be sailing on "Kailani", a 2017 44' Helia out of Yacht Haven Grand St Thomas and will cruise the BVI for a week. We have our to do list but also know from reading this forum for years, be flexible. We are doing all of our meals on the boat. We have eaten in many locations down there and Caitie's menu looks fantastic.

My question is has anyone on here ever sailed on Kailani? If not, what can you tell me about the 44' Helia? I know it will be just my wife and I along with Captain Stephen and Caitie. So there should be more than ample room. Is the boat a nice layout? Are the berths comfortable? Anything disappointing or really cool about the Helia?

This trip is to get us around to other spots we have not been to before besides going to familiar spots but arriving on a boat. To see the islands from the perspective you all have done. And to simply be spoiled for a week. Only 260 days to go!!

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Kailani [Re: ndfaninnc] #185793
03/01/2019 10:37 AM
03/01/2019 10:37 AM
Tampa Bay, Florida
SonOfTheSea Offline
Traveler
SonOfTheSea  Offline
Traveler
Tampa Bay, Florida
I got my ASA 114 certification on a 44’ Helia a year ago and I thought the boat was impressive. So much so that my group in May will be chartering two of them with DYC. The boat doesn’t feel cramped at all, and it is nicely laid out for lounging. One of the things I really liked about the boat was the lounging space up near the helm. It’s a great way to relax and keep the skipper company while underway. There is plenty of lounging room, I think you’ll be quite happy with the boat.
I thought the cabins were spacious enough for two people and the bed was comfortable, and having one head per cabin kept the group out of each other’s way even more.
Would love to hear how it goes for you, maybe post a follow up after your trip? I think it’s awesome you’re changing it up and trying this trip from the sea rather than land based, it’s such a cool way to explore the islands and see some different things!

Re: Kailani [Re: ndfaninnc] #185807
03/01/2019 01:32 PM
03/01/2019 01:32 PM
Colorado
N
NewfD90 Offline
Traveler
NewfD90  Offline
Traveler
N
Colorado
The FP Helia 44 is a fine boat. We liked it so much last time, we'll be chartering one again this coming May with DYC. The ladies particularly like the loungers up top under the boom. Our last one (with Cruise Abaco) had an icemaker - that was the greatest thing ever. Almost better than a functioning watermaker! In Antigua last May we had a bigger boat (Nautitech 46) and all the crew preferred the Helia. As captain, I do like how the FP cats sail. I'm looking forward to sailing it in sportier conditions than the Abacos.