Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (WCHam, eightzerobits, Kevin_B, SXMScubaman, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, cbf, seeitall, RickinAtlanta, Time Will Tell, xrayman67, duckfat, boucharda, davidandsusannj, kaba, mark37, MamaB, caribbeangirl13, Jeannius, Chaseec, sailingbob, WWII, taraavo, Snorkeller, ColoBoater, 13 invisible), 990 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! #186364
03/06/2019 11:01 AM
03/06/2019 11:01 AM
K
kimberly2 Offline OP
Traveler
kimberly2  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Hi, we are arriving in SJU via Delta at 11:45 a.m. We are departing by Intercaribbean at 2:35. I have read on this forum that there might be some issues if we check our bags due to having to obtain our checked bags and reenter the airport and go through security, etc.

We are looking at doing carryons but we are bringing our snorkel gear with us which is posing the problem. Do you think we would have enough time with 2 hours from arrival to departure in SJU to obtain our checked luggage without issue and make it to the IC departure gate?

Or should we really try to do carry ons only?

We are traveling with a 6 year old so we want to ensure we plan this trip as efficiently and safely as possible. Missing our IC flight is not an option.

How does everyone else pack for a week in the BVIs when flying into EIS? Thanks for your insight and advice!

BVI Sponsors
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186366
03/06/2019 11:07 AM
03/06/2019 11:07 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Plenty of time. If you're really worried have the 6 year old stay with 1 parent inside security. No need to drag the kid outside security.

You have almost 3 hours so I wouldn't worry about it. I did it with an hour 2 weeks ago and still had time to get a drink before the IC flight.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #186367
03/06/2019 11:09 AM
03/06/2019 11:09 AM
K
kimberly2 Offline OP
Traveler
kimberly2  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Thank you for your feedback!

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186371
03/06/2019 11:41 AM
03/06/2019 11:41 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by kimberly2
Hi, we are arriving in SJU via Delta at 11:45 a.m. We are departing by Intercaribbean at 2:35. I have read on this forum that there might be some issues if we check our bags due to having to obtain our checked bags and reenter the airport and go through security, etc.

We are looking at doing carryons but we are bringing our snorkel gear with us which is posing the problem. Do you think we would have enough time with 2 hours from arrival to departure in SJU to obtain our checked luggage without issue and make it to the IC departure gate?

We are traveling with a 6 year old so we want to ensure we plan this trip as efficiently and safely as possible. Missing our IC flight is not an option.

How does everyone else pack for a week in the BVIs when flying into EIS? Thanks for your insight and advice!

Echoing Jason it was easy on IC 2 weeks ago. IC goes out of gate D at SJU and we came in B. 2 groups down on different days (DCA - SJU - EIS) and 1 group back no issues with less than 2 hours time and we made it in 35 mins. On the way down you dont leave the airport and go back through security...it is coming back from EIS to SJU where you have to reenter security at SJU.

On way back EIS security is somewhat slow so I like to get there and get through the security door with time to spare. EIS now actually takes the bags that weigh over 10lbs at the EIS gate and puts them on the plane as opposed to making you carry them through security

In regards to snorkel gear we pack masks and snorkel or full face gear and then get the fins down there. If it comes down to avoiding checking or taking fins then we are getting fins down there. Make good use of the personal item...we bring on dry bags with gear

Pack 1/2 the clothes and 2x the cash...:)

Have fun
Rob

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: bailau] #186377
03/06/2019 11:58 AM
03/06/2019 11:58 AM
K
kimberly2 Offline OP
Traveler
kimberly2  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Originally Posted by bailau

Echoing Jason it was easy on IC 2 weeks ago. IC goes out of gate D at SJU and we came in B. 2 groups down on different days (DCA - SJU - EIS) and 1 group back no issues with less than 2 hours time and we made it in 35 mins. On the way down you dont leave the airport and go back through security...it is coming back from EIS to SJU where you have to reenter security at SJU.

On way back EIS security is somewhat slow so I like to get there and get through the security door with time to spare. EIS now actually takes the bags that weigh over 10lbs at the EIS gate and puts them on the plane as opposed to making you carry them through security

In regards to snorkel gear we pack masks and snorkel or full face gear and then get the fins down there. If it comes down to avoiding checking or taking fins then we are getting fins down there. Make good use of the personal item...we bring on dry bags with gear

Have fun
Rob

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186378
03/06/2019 12:00 PM
03/06/2019 12:00 PM
K
kimberly2 Offline OP
Traveler
kimberly2  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Originally Posted by bailau

Have fun
Rob

Thank you! Quick question, what is it that costs more than I might think? Is it everything or just food/drink, etc.? Trying to figure out how much cash to bring as opposed to using credit cards. We plan to use ferries, maybe rent a car, maybe a couple taxis, definitely eating out. . .I appreciate your advice

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186381
03/06/2019 12:07 PM
03/06/2019 12:07 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
Are you staying in a villa, hotel, bareboat? How long will you be down? This will help determine how much cash you need.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186384
03/06/2019 12:22 PM
03/06/2019 12:22 PM
dayhiker Offline
Traveler
dayhiker  Offline
Traveler
If you have checked bags, do you have to go back through security on your way down? I thought you had to go to baggage claim, get your bags, and then come back through. The comment above about not going through a second time got my attention. My previous times with SJU either involved carry on only, or an overnight at the hotel. I did leave about 3 hours on the way down for my upcoming trip. TIA.

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: Orange_Burst] #186387
03/06/2019 12:40 PM
03/06/2019 12:40 PM
K
kimberly2 Offline OP
Traveler
kimberly2  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Are you staying in a villa, hotel, bareboat? How long will you be down? This will help determine how much cash you need.

We are staying at Scrub Island but planning to do excursions to JVD, VG, and potentially Anegada as well as explore Tortola itself. What do you recommend as far as cash?

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186389
03/06/2019 12:43 PM
03/06/2019 12:43 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
You do need to go back through security if you have checked bags. I consider two hours the minimum to do that but she actually has almost 3 hours between flights which should be fine. I would suggest she send one person to retrieve and recheck the bags while the other remains inside security with the 6 year old.
G

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: GeorgeC1] #186390
03/06/2019 12:49 PM
03/06/2019 12:49 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
You do need to go back through security if you have checked bags. I consider two hours the minimum to do that but she actually has almost 3 hours between flights which should be fine. I would suggest she send one person to retrieve and recheck the bags while the other remains inside security with the 6 year old.
G

If you InterCaribbean flight is on the same ticket as your flight from the US, will they transfer your bags? I always that bags on codeshare flights were checked all the way to EIS.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #186392
03/06/2019 01:05 PM
03/06/2019 01:05 PM
dayhiker Offline
Traveler
dayhiker  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
G

If you InterCaribbean flight is on the same ticket as your flight from the US, will they transfer your bags? I always that bags on codeshare flights were checked all the way to EIS.

In that instance, you're probably correct. In mine, they aren't codeshared, so I'll have to go out and back in. I was planning on that being the case, but the previous comments gave me a glimmer of hope. smile I land at 3:07 on Delta and fly out at 6:00 on IC.

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186397
03/06/2019 01:42 PM
03/06/2019 01:42 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
To clarify my comments my experience (post Irma) is with carry on only...I don't believe IC codeshares with anyone.

I apologize for my lack of clarity

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186402
03/06/2019 02:06 PM
03/06/2019 02:06 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
You can use a credit card for ferries, rental cars and at most restaurants. You will need cash for cabs, tips and occasionally a restaurants credit card machine being down.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186406
03/06/2019 02:12 PM
03/06/2019 02:12 PM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
You don't have to flick around on Tripadvisor for very long before you find someone complaining about being double-charged or over-charged or otherwise scammed in BVI bars and restaurants when using cards.

Happened to us years back and we have been cash-only ever since.

The only place we use card is in Riteway when provisioning on day 1.

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186419
03/06/2019 03:09 PM
03/06/2019 03:09 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
I don't like carrying that much cash. My credit card protects me from double charges, if they happen. In 23 trips, I have only had one double charge and that was at Emerald Beach last year. We stayed in April and was charged for our rooms, food, etc. Then in October, a duplicate charge showed up on my CC statement. It was resolved quickly. Also, using my Capital One card, it comes with some benefits; if I rent a car, it covers insurance, if I buy anything and it gets lost or stolen, they replace it. Capital One does not charge an exchange fee either.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: Orange_Burst] #186421
03/06/2019 03:11 PM
03/06/2019 03:11 PM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
I don't like carrying that much cash. My credit card protects me from double charges, if they happen. In 23 trips, I have only had one double charge and that was at Emerald Beach last year. We stayed in April and was charged for our rooms, food, etc. Then in October, a duplicate charge showed up on my CC statement. It was resolved quickly. Also, using my Capital One card, it comes with some benefits; if I rent a car, it covers insurance, if I buy anything and it gets lost or stolen, they replace it. Capital One does not charge an exchange fee either.

What she said.

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: ScurvyD] #186425
03/06/2019 03:21 PM
03/06/2019 03:21 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Capital One covers rental car insurance for FREE, outside the country? Would be surprised at that, if so.

Carol Hill
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: Carol_Hill] #186426
03/06/2019 03:26 PM
03/06/2019 03:26 PM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
That is correct. You still have to purchase the least amount of liability required by the country you are in.

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: ScurvyD] #186434
03/06/2019 04:03 PM
03/06/2019 04:03 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, sorry, guess I was thinking of liability insurance, which I knew wasn't included with any credit card.

Carol Hill
Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186463
03/06/2019 09:03 PM
03/06/2019 09:03 PM
S
stlmco Offline
Traveler
stlmco  Offline
Traveler
S
On our last trip in January a group traveling on our same IC flight ran into problems and got separated. Part of their group stayed behind (in the gate area) while two others collected their checked luggage at baggage claim. Unfortunately they were delayed for whatever reason and got to the ticket counter with less than an hour from departure. The ticket counter was closed and they missed their flight. I believe they were able to catch the next flight, though they got the last two seats.

If you check luggage you will need to re-check in at the IC ticket counter outside security. The IC ticket counter closes 1 hour before the flight departs. If the ticket counter is closed you will miss your flight. Same agents man both the ticket counter and the gate, hence why the one hour cut off.

Others can speak to whether 2-3 hours is sufficient time to collect your luggage from baggage claim and get to the IC ticket counter with an hour to spare. We always do carry on.

Re: SJU-ESI question - advice needed - thanks! [Re: kimberly2] #186480
03/07/2019 12:13 AM
03/07/2019 12:13 AM
Ft. Worth, TX
L
Lcrich Offline
Traveler
Lcrich  Offline
Traveler
L
Ft. Worth, TX
You didn’t say what day of the week you are traveling. We have done same thing at SJU. Weekdays are no problem but Saturdays are a nightmare to get back thru security. Luckily we had TSA pre-check or we would have missed our flight 😑