Member Spotlight
BVIslander
BVIslander
Road Town
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (SANFILIP, sxmpete, MNsnowbird, 2 invisible), 807 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? #186877
03/10/2019 11:00 PM
03/10/2019 11:00 PM
North Shore, MA
G
GettinBye Offline OP
Traveler
GettinBye  Offline OP
Traveler
G
North Shore, MA
We (8 of us) are heading to a quick overnight on Anegada (staying at Ann’s cottages) followed by a week long land vacation at savannah bay. I’ve been to VG before but it’s been quite a while. Would love to hear any advice, tips or tricks. Anything from secrets at the Baths (beside dodging the cruise ships) to bug repellent, (do dryer sheets really help?) tipping , helping the locals (I am bringing some school supplies) , grocery and booze shopping, anything!! I like to feel as informed as possible as I am the “host” of the group. No tip too small. All info welcome

I’m tempted to try to stock the villa prior to arrival or at least have an order ready for pickup. At least enough for the first happy hour/dinner/ breakfast. I want our arrival at the villa to be calm and prepared, not spent schlepping at the store. Thoughts? thank you in advance

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186889
03/11/2019 09:41 AM
03/11/2019 09:41 AM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
HI GettinBye - Sounds like a great trip - School supplies are a great way to contribute - Three of the of the best restaurants to go to on VG are Coco Maya located to the right of the roundabout in Spanish Town, the Bath and Turtle is now co-located with Chez Bamboo near the ferry terminal and Hog Heaven at the top of the mountain. We usually have the villa pre stocked by Bucks as it saves some running around on the date of arrival.

GordaGuy2
Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186890
03/11/2019 10:12 AM
03/11/2019 10:12 AM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
I would add the Restaurant at Leverick that list..very good.

Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186900
03/11/2019 11:26 AM
03/11/2019 11:26 AM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
I agree with gordaguy and manpot. Make reservations. Even if the crowds are light, a restaurant would appreciate advance notice for a table of eight.

During our trip last month, we visited Coco Maya twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. Our group preferred the dinner menu, the lunch views were picture perfect. Know that their dinner menu is predominately small plates that come out as they are prepared. Everyone in our Feb '19 group loved the food. During prior trips, some people did not like the small plate style of dining.

Upstairs at Leverick was excellent. I learned too late that I could have ordered an entree size of the lobster risotto starter.

We also had two dinners at Bath and Turtle. Make sure you check out the specials board. We missed it the first night. Solid food and I am happy to see they doing well as we always enjoyed the former location.

Our group covered Hog Heaven's menu over the course of two lunches and the ribs earned first choice.

The Baths - monitor the BVI port authority site for cruise ship traffic and pick the day with the lightest load. We went early (9am-ish) and only encountered charter boat guests. We were early enough to miss the STT/STJ excursion boats. We had lunch at Top of the Baths and then went to Spring Bay.

Pre-ordering and grocery delivery is a must for me and worth the small fee. Memory tells me we were charged either $50 or $75 by Bucks.

http://www.bucksmarkets.com/

We used Buck's for each VG trip. I am pleased with their service. Quality of the produce and meats is as good as can be expected for an island. I would recommend making the most of the service, load up on all the heavy lifting items (beer, soda, liquor, wine) and staples like breakfast fixings. Like you, I never want to start out a stay shopping or putting away groceries, we want to hit the beach and relax.

Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186907
03/11/2019 12:02 PM
03/11/2019 12:02 PM
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Woodstock, GA
If in renting the villa you're going through a management company on VG you can likely send them a list of grocery items you want to pre-stock and they'll have it waiting for you in the villa when you arrive. Obviously a tip would be appropriate or they may have a small set charge. We've done that for our previous four trips and its nice to walk in and just relax!

Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186925
03/11/2019 01:56 PM
03/11/2019 01:56 PM
North Shore, MA
G
GettinBye Offline OP
Traveler
GettinBye  Offline OP
Traveler
G
North Shore, MA
Thank you for everyone’s responses. It’s not a management company so we don’t have that luxury but it’s money well spent to have the shopping done for us. IMO. If I say 4 pm to bucks is that island time? Or can I pretty much count on that?

How are the bugs these days? For instance - dinner at coco maya (which is a must). Will we get eaten alive without precaution? I have bought some travel size but just curious how it’s been. I’m sure we will have a couple happy hours at savannah bay as well so like to be informed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: GettinBye] #186937
03/11/2019 02:47 PM
03/11/2019 02:47 PM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
I would let Bucks deal directly with the property owner/manager. That way, everything will be put away and chilled before you arrive.

Bucks will provide you the actual receipt as well an itemized list of anything out of stock.

Bugs? Half of our group was eaten alive, the other half didn't have a bite. I was in the no-bite group and didn't use spray at all.

Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: Cleobeach] #186979
03/11/2019 06:19 PM
03/11/2019 06:19 PM
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Woodstock, GA
Originally Posted by Cleobeach
I would let Bucks deal directly with the property owner/manager. That way, everything will be put away and chilled before you arrive.

Bucks will provide you the actual receipt as well an itemized list of anything out of stock.

Bugs? Half of our group was eaten alive, the other half didn't have a bite. I was in the no-bite group and didn't use spray at all.

They apparently aren't working with a management company.

Re: Let ur experience speak- tips and tricks? [Re: Cleobeach] #187070
03/12/2019 10:43 AM
03/12/2019 10:43 AM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
We've always found that Bucks knows the various villas and knows where to get the keys to put the stuff away. They are very good that way. The owner of the villa can assist in arranging Bucks as well.

GordaGuy2