fabila 44
RonDon 35
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ejb8910, periwinkle, SANFILIP
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (Alltech63, eightzerobits, bran, bailau, mark37, ColoBoater, louismcc, GeorgeC1, PML, SoakInSaltwater, Manpot, GaryC, SXMScubaman, hokiesailor, lbksxm, MrWhiskerssammy, SXMNAN, 6 invisible), 915 guests, and 199 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
March Trip Report & Theme (Part Two) #186999
03/11/2019 08:51 PM
03/11/2019 08:51 PM
S
SammyM Offline OP
Traveler
SammyM  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Okay ... all unpacked! A bit tired, but no worse for the wear! Now for Part Two of our fantastic SXM vacation ... "Just Go!"

Day Four -- Mullet Bay Beach. Staying with the Maho/Mullet area we spent most of our fourth day on beautiful Mullet Bay Beach. Once again I had forgotten just how scenic and lovely this beach is. And, we caught it on a perfect day. Light winds produced mild waves with no undertow whatsoever. I went in waste deep and it was like being in warm bath water. The abrupt drop off down the sand to the water is still prominent, but it gives you the option of walking high or low if you want to stroll from one end of the beach to the other. We rented two chairs and a beach umbrella for a super reasonable $15, but the first row of chairs was packed solid and we wound up in the second row. By 1 p.m. or so I believe all but the most outlying chairs were rented which was another awesome sign to see this beach so crowded.

Both snack bars were going strong with most of the benches and tables filled throughout the afternoon. Once again I noticed a definite younger age group here, but a solid mix of families as well with little ones. Three lovely young ladies from the Netherlands set us shop right next to us, and like us returned to SXM for their spring vacation after a two year hiatus. We spent much of the day talking to them a well as a nice couple from Long Island on our opposite side. One thing that did surprise me a bit was the number of topless ladies on this beach. There were always a few in the past, but there must have been 20 or more ladies going top free on this particular day. Trust me ... I'm not complaining!

That evening it was off to Mark's Place on our way back to Philipsburg. What more is necessary to describe the perfect day? At Mark's Place we got drinks, dinner and dessert for $46 total before tip. Try doing that on St. Barth's. And, the baby back ribs were as good as ever!

Day Five -- Friar's Bay Beach and Happy Bay Beach. I think you see my approach as we tried to touch all corners of the island. Been a long time since we visited Friar's Bay, and the damage to the nearby communities is still significant. But, the people are slowly bouncing back and this area is no different. This is a lovely little beach that is essentially in two parts with a north and south section depending upon which beach restaurant you want to be near. We rented two chairs and an umbrella for $20 and spent a nice quiet day here laying out and reading while the number of families with small children grew throughout the day. I decided to take a hike up the hill and through the woods to Happy Bay Beach, but my wife passed. The 15 minute hike is no 'walk in the park', but when you get to the entrance for Happy Bay Beach it is worth the effort. Zero sea grass, zero shells or rock fragments to step on. Just gorgeous silky smooth white sand. And, a lot of it! There were literally less than 10 of us on the beach that afternoon, with one lone soul laying out in the buff. It's a damn shame they don't do more to promote this remote beach because it's one of the best kept secrets on SXM. Just be sure to bring your own portable umbrella and towels when you visit. Also, no bare feet or flips flops on the hike, and having some mosquito repellent is advised.

Later in the day we met a very nice local young man named Rudy who was showing a lovely french couple around for the day. He was taking them all over the island, and their limited English was quite a challenge for him. But, he was doing a fantastic job with them and I was very impressed (even though I couldn't really help with my limited french!). He explained the day he was spending with them when they got off their Costa cruise ship and it was impressive. If anyone is searching for an all day tour guide to take you around to all points on SXM he's your guy. Check out Rudy Tours and Photography if you get a chance. I really admire local entrepreneurs like this young man so he's definitely worth a plug.

We returned to Philipsburg early that evening and had dinner at the Ocean Lounge at Holland House Hotel. A tad on the expensive side, but worth the money. Dining on their patio overlooking the cruise port at night is pretty special and worth the effort if you're in this area.

Sorry for being so longwinded, but this trip was like getting reacquainted with an old friend. Tomorrow I will post Part Three and the final portion of our fabulous vacation. The best is yet to come!

SXM Sponsors
Re: March Trip Report & Theme (Part Two) [Re: SammyM] #187010
03/11/2019 10:31 PM
03/11/2019 10:31 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Beautifully thought out and written. You’re sure hitting the highlights and sharing them is sincerely appreciated.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: March Trip Report & Theme (Part Two) [Re: SammyM] #187018
03/12/2019 04:52 AM
03/12/2019 04:52 AM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Very nice report!

[Linked Image]
Re: March Trip Report & Theme (Part Two) [Re: SammyM] #187078
03/12/2019 11:26 AM
03/12/2019 11:26 AM
S
SammyM Offline OP
Traveler
SammyM  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Thank you Pat & Jazzgal. What a fantastic time we had! I just posted Part Three of our visit this morning so I hope you like it. And, wait until you see Divi! You're going to like it, Jazzgal! Didn't go inside, but it looks better than ever. You'll have a great time!

Re: March Trip Report & Theme (Part Two) [Re: SammyM] #187137
03/12/2019 04:13 PM
03/12/2019 04:13 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Thanks, Sammy. I stayed at Divi last June when the resort was about 60% open and went back for the day a couple of times in November. I have seen pictures of the new pool, and it looks spectacular. I suspect, though, that I am still going to prefer the Infinity pool, which is very close to my unit.

[Linked Image]