Member Spotlight
bdeeley
bdeeley
United States of America
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (onlymedication, MKGrey, GeorgeC1, reddoglady, ericlut, RickinAtlanta, jaxon60, JandIrene, MamaB, RatmansWife, Harleyk, Brian&Andi, tmsxmsails, dolfer, Jaybird, SXMScubaman, Compskier, xrayman67, jbutah, Sunnysideup, Kegoangoango, candu, Fletch, MrEZgoin, Reid, Memphré, Alltech63, 8 invisible), 973 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
March 2-9 Trip Report #186955
03/11/2019 04:05 PM
03/11/2019 04:05 PM
R
Rush Offline OP
Traveler
Rush  Offline OP
Traveler
R
I have summarized my key takeaways from this trip below. This was our 4th post Irma charter (9th trip to the BVI) and there has been tremendous progress made since last June.. It was just my wife, two daughters (11 and 14) and me, and there is nothing we enjoy doing more together. My girls were awesome and had so much fun. Wife was the captain at the helm the entire time, the girls took care of moorings and dinghy most of the time, along with some galley duties. I just had to play around with the sheets and pretend I was improving things, plus make drinks.

Key takeaways:
* Flew through San Juan Friday evening and stayed at airport hotel which was perfectly fine for the brief 7 hours. Able to fly out Sat AM and get to base by 8:30, which enabled us to provision, chart briefing, boat briefing, our own boat inspection, and set sail by 1:30.

* Moorings base was booming and more efficient and on-time than the last trip. Everyone was very helpful. A little stressful bringing in the boat for docking as boats were floating around Dock A awaiting instructions. Gets kind of tight there. Again, they were busy.

* On a great boat, Moorings 4000 (Monashee). Funny coincidence as I had just skied the Monashee Mountains in BC a month prior. Was the perfect boat the four of us, sailed great, and we had an abundance of space.

* Had a blast meeting friends of ours who had their kids as well on their first trip to the BVI. We met at several anchorages and had dinners/drinks. Great way for families to meet up and hang out! Hope to encourage more of our friends to discover the BVI.

* Busy and more crowded everywhere, but everyone was having fun and smiling.

* All of the people and places were lovely and food was excellent. Places we drank and dined were:
- Pirates Bight – looks great again
- Cooper Island – beautiful and love the roti.
- Leverick – Michael Beans was a blast and everyone was enjoying it. Very good re-provisioning at store.
- Cow Wreck – looks amazing and great to see Ann as always.
- Potters – Great food and tons of fun dancing and Limbo with Sam. Closed it down that night.
- Scrub Island – Poolside restaurant was open and delicious. Resort looks to be 100% back.
- Marina Cay – drinks at the bar and a walk to the top to enjoy the sunset. Very quiet.
- Foxy’s Taboo – Great food and drinks and one of our favorite evening stops this trip.
- Bee line – Very cool vibe.
- Soggy Dollar – Always a blast. Too many painkillers, but can’t help it.
- Coco Loco – Drinks and wonderful pizza to take aboard for dinner
- Moorings Base – Enjoyed drinks and food by the pool before departing
- Trellis Bay Market – We always walk over there before departing for one last drink and view. The market was great, but still more work to do in the bay/beach as many have commented.

* Mooring Balls were mostly taken by 1ish (except Norman).

* Boaty Ball appeared to be effective, but everyone said you had to be quick to reserve on-line at 7 AM. We did not use it but will try on our next trip. Heard of one issue, but according to the folks who had it reserved, BoatyBall was responsive and helped resolve the situation (and blacklisted the perpetrators).

* Will plan on anchoring in Anegada in the future, as many others were. We were the 3rd boat in and only 2 “non-Boaty Ball” moorings available.

Can’t wait to be back in May!

BVI Sponsors
Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: Rush] #186977
03/11/2019 05:56 PM
03/11/2019 05:56 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Great report...where did you anchor/moor for Little Foxys and Bline? And how was mooring or anchoring?

thinking of rolling over there from white Bay in May

Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: Rush] #186996
03/11/2019 08:15 PM
03/11/2019 08:15 PM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point
Thank you for the trip report

Sounds like the gang from Cruisers will be there in May...

We will be there the last two weeks in may. Only two of us, Conch Charters , jeanneau 36i, Will have Calif and Hawaii flags, plus a happy Hrrrrr pirate flag, flying from the flag halyard.

Foxys Taboo, at Diamond Cay is one of Erica's faves, and this will be a first time for the B Line. Will probably be there for a couple of days, and then over to Little Harbor, and taxi over to Great Harbor, or White Bay.

Lots of great news coming out of the BVI, from the posters.

Mahalo nui loa to you all

Denny and Erica

Last edited by captdennyj; 03/11/2019 08:16 PM.
Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: Rush] #187002
03/11/2019 09:15 PM
03/11/2019 09:15 PM
Charlotte, NC
T
TC42 Offline
Traveler
TC42  Offline
Traveler
T
Charlotte, NC
Nice trip report. We are going next month. Our last trip was July 2018 and it was still a work in progress. How were the crowds at Anegada? Also, I’ve never been to Foxy’s Taboo. Is that a better place to stay vs Great Harbor?

Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: bailau] #187038
03/12/2019 08:32 AM
03/12/2019 08:32 AM
R
Rush Offline OP
Traveler
Rush  Offline OP
Traveler
R
Bailau,
We moored right off Diamond Cay by Foxy's Taboo. There may have actually been an open ball there as well that evening. But there were also a couple of folks anchored off the mooring field. Was a comfortable night stay (certainly smoother than White Bay).
Rush

Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: TC42] #187039
03/12/2019 08:43 AM
03/12/2019 08:43 AM
R
Rush Offline OP
Traveler
Rush  Offline OP
Traveler
R
TC42,

Anegada was the most crowded we have seen it. At least the mooring field was. Many folks were anchored there and further outside. I would plan on anchoring or consider Boaty Ball next time I go there. Cow Wreck was busy, but did not feel overly crowded. I would definitely consider making dinner reservations either a day prior or as soon as you arrive. Potters was full (and I assume the other restaurants were as well). But of course, it did not feel "Disney World" crowded, just appropriately busy.

We liked being by Foxy's Taboo as a change from Great Harbor (which we typically do). Or do both!. It was fun to have a drink at the bar, hike to Bubbly Pool, eat lunch, dinghy ride then a couple of laps on Sandy Spit, paddle board to B-line, and then just chill. Relaxed but still plenty to do in that anchorage.

Regards,
Rush

Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: captdennyj] #187040
03/12/2019 08:52 AM
03/12/2019 08:52 AM
R
Rush Offline OP
Traveler
Rush  Offline OP
Traveler
R
Denny,

I will keep a look out for you and Erica in late May. I know from your previous posts you have experience and wisdom that I could benefit from. Or in the very least, enjoy a drink together. I will be on a Moorings cat most likely sporting a UGA flag. I have a larger crew this time with my wife, 2 kids, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and mother. But expect to see my wife at the helm as I will be relegated to other duties.

Regards,
Rush

Re: March 2-9 Trip Report [Re: Rush] #187118
03/12/2019 03:07 PM
03/12/2019 03:07 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by Rush
Bailau,
We moored right off Diamond Cay by Foxy's Taboo. There may have actually been an open ball there as well that evening. But there were also a couple of folks anchored off the mooring field. Was a comfortable night stay (certainly smoother than White Bay).
Rush

Thanks my friend...will do that instead of CGB since I haven't been there post Irma but have been to CGB post Irma. Will be back May 12th for the week if you are around...