Member Spotlight
ecm56
ecm56
Northern Virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (pony600, kccouple, CaribbeanCanadians, onlymedication, indi, Jspoone, mscottc, wlpdmurf, RatmansWife, ggffrr11, Manpot, Don_and_Linda, Swifty, Tom, luvtotravel, GeorgeC1, xrayman67, taraavo, SeeDiver, MamaB, Zanshin, EdB, jazzgal, MikeMc, jbutah, cwoody, KirkB, ndfaninnc, 8 invisible), 858 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Our March Trip on Island Fun #188877
03/27/2019 12:11 PM
03/27/2019 12:11 PM
Ohio
jagmansr Offline OP
Traveler
jagmansr  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio
March Trip report:
Our itinerary on this trip was slightly different than most of our trips. Our Leopard 42, Island Fun is in Captain's Compass Charters run by Brent Fennell. We were extremely fortunate how well Brent secured his fleet during Irma. Our only damage was the loss of our mast. The engines stayed dry as well as the entire interior of the boat. We were able to "power boat" on a few trips right after Irma while we waited for a BRAND NEW mast. I must say Brent has Island Fun looking and running even better than the day we bought her in 2014 (as well as all his boats). She has a new mast, new under paint, all wood re-varnished and solar panels. She's like a brand new boat. Anyone that charters her will have a very enjoyable trip. Since we have a brand new (not a used mast) we wanted to spend time sailing then visiting the usual stopping points.
So,,,, day one started after a sleep aboard at Sea Cow Bay. We left the marina around 9:30 am and spend the morning tacking our way to Marina Cay. Made for a fun day of sailing. There were plenty of mooring balls to chose from. Once there we had lunch, went ashore to check out the "new" gift shop and have a few drinks at Pusser's as well as some snorkeling. Up around the beach our snorkeling found little live turtle grass almost no underwater activity. We like to cook aboard and that night we grilled duck tenderloins,served in a berry sauce. Great dinner.
Next morning (Day 2), we set sail for Anegada. We had the perfect line and was able to set a coarse straight to the way-point leading into Anegada. We killed the engines and managed a respectful 7 to 8 knots the entire 3 and half hour sail. Got in and had no problem finding a mooring ball. We rented a couple scooters and checked out Cow Wreck and Loblolly Bay. For dinner we dined at Wonky Dog.
Day 3, We rented a Moke (great little 4 seater car- best way to get around the Island. Continued our visits to all the beaches and naturally drinks everywhere. The island was having difficulties in that this was the third day in a row the island was with out electricity which meant they were running out of water and ice. The needed part for the island generator finally arrived and all was restored. While on land we made arrangements with Sherwin to take us out to see the flamingos and the conk mounds the next day and also to go fishing the following day. We grilled bison burgers that night on the grill.
Day4, We hooked up with Sherwin in the morning and he took us out in his fishing boat. First stop was the flamingos. Quite a sight seeing a couple hundred flamingos hanging out on coral. AS we got to within 25 yards of them, as a flock, they all took off, circled and landed on some more coral 100 yards away. What a sight! Next stop was seeing the biggest pile of conk shells you can imagine. The locals have been "stacking" conks there for over 50 years and it shows. After that we headed out to a great snorkeling site where Sherwin showed how easy it is (at least for him) to remove FRESH conk for the shell. We ate the best tasting conk I have ever had right on his boat. Next stop was super great. He took us to another snorkeling spot and gave us snares he made with wood sticks and wire, showed us how to catch live lobster AND as luck had it, we did in fact catch 2 four pound lobsters (plus a 2 pounder we threw back). We cut the lobsters in half and grilled them on the boat. the four of us had the sweetest lobsters ever and cooked on the back of our boat.
Day 5, In the morning my friend Bob and I again got on Sherwin's fishing boat co-captained by his 12 year old son Benjamin. We headed out past the flamingos, the conk mounds and into open water for some serious fishing. The morning results were, 2 barracudas and the prize of a 30 pound mahi-mahi. After 20 minutes of landing it, as we were getting it aboard, (it was half on the boat) the fish managed to slap it's tail one last time in the water which knocked it off the hook we were pulling it aboard with, it fell back into the water and snapped the fishing line getting away,,, major bummer. Our evening diner of diners was gone,,,,,,,, so we grilled chicken for diner.
Day 6, we set sail out of Anagada around 7 am and sailed directly to Cooper Island. We got there around 10ish so there was no problem finding a mooring ball. We enjoyed the beach, drinks and lunch there. Around 2 we headed over to Nanny Cay to refuel and return to Sea Bay for our final sleep aboard before heading back to St Thomas and the states.
On a side note, when we arrived at Anegada, we hadn't decided how many days we were going to stay there. We go down to the BVI 3 times a year and pretty much decide from day to day what and where we want to go. That being said, that's why I'm not a boatyball user. We spent 4 nights on Anegada and the last thing I would want to do is worry ever morning if I'm going to lose my mooring ball. I will say that the first and second night we were there, only one boatyball was being used and there were empty regular mooring balls in the bay. The third and forth night was full with at least half a dozen boats anchored. I just hope boatyball never becomes the norm. I like knowing that once on a mooring, It's mine til I chose to leave.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188879
03/27/2019 12:38 PM
03/27/2019 12:38 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Online content
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Online Content
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Great report. What days of the week were you on Anegada? I'm wondering if maybe that is why the mooring field was not quite so busy. Sorry about the mahi. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Sherwin is awesome and quite knowledgeable. A couple of years back I taught Benjamin how to make a balloon squeal when letting the air out. Sherwin still reminds me he owes me for that one.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188881
03/27/2019 01:28 PM
03/27/2019 01:28 PM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
Nice report!

Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188883
03/27/2019 01:40 PM
03/27/2019 01:40 PM
mfringsley Offline
Traveler
mfringsley  Offline
Traveler
[/quote] I will say that the first and second night we were there, only one boatyball was being used and there were empty regular mooring balls in the bay. The third and forth night was full with at least half a dozen boats anchored. I just hope boatyball never becomes the norm. I like knowing that once on a mooring, It's mine til I chose to leave. [/quote]

Thanks for the interesting read on fishing and I completely agree with your ending comments.....

Last edited by mfringsley; 03/27/2019 01:40 PM.
Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188887
03/27/2019 02:57 PM
03/27/2019 02:57 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
You are my hero...4 nights on Anegada. That is awesome

Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188888
03/27/2019 03:30 PM
03/27/2019 03:30 PM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
Great trip report! We too took Sherwins trip last month and loved it. We were without water or power our last 2 days on the island too (2/28-3/1)

Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: jagmansr] #188899
03/27/2019 07:30 PM
03/27/2019 07:30 PM
North Carolina
R
RacerRon Offline
Traveler
RacerRon  Offline
Traveler
R
North Carolina
Your report painted such a pretty picture! It has me looking forward to November even more!

Thank you for sharing!

[Linked Image]
Re: Our March Trip on Island Fun [Re: ndfaninnc] #188976
03/28/2019 07:08 PM
03/28/2019 07:08 PM
Ohio
jagmansr Offline OP
Traveler
jagmansr  Offline OP
Traveler
Ohio

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Great report. What days of the week were you on Anegada? I'm wondering if maybe that is why the mooring field was not quite so busy. Sorry about the mahi. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Sherwin is awesome and quite knowledgeable. A couple of years back I taught Benjamin how to make a balloon squeal when letting the air out. Sherwin still reminds me he owes me for that one.

We arrived on a Friday and stayed til Tuesday morning. I have been told Monday through Wednesday are the really busy days. It seemed to fill up by 1.

Last edited by jagmansr; 03/28/2019 07:08 PM.