Hi everybody!<br><br>I'm sending a trip report from Sweden, telling you about our first BVI trip that lasted almost 14 days (from April 25th to May 8th). Thanks to all, who helped us with suggestions, opinions and a lot of facts, before we left.<br><br>Traveling on standby tickets my husband and I departed from Stockholm to Newark with SAS and we took in at Ramada Inn at the airport. Took the Continental nonstop flight to St Thomas the morning after and luckily we got two seats. Arrived St Thomas at 1.30 and took the 2.30 ferry to West End at Tortola. Spent the first night in BVI at Sebastian's at the beach at little Apple Bay. Almost the whole place was booked, due to a wedding that took place at the morning after. We got one of the rooms in the back yard and after a very good dinner at the restaurant (Ginger Chicken and our very first Carib) we had no problem to go to sleep. Next morning we enjoyed breakfast and then looked at the beach wedding from a sun chair. That was a really nice start of the vacation.<br> <br>Decided to call Tina at Guavaberry in VG, and she had a studio for us, the two nights we were early. Took Speedys ferry (nice and new) and Mahogany rentals met us with our car (or so called car;)). It must have been 20 years old, so next time I will rent a car in VG, I will chose a couple of price classes higher. Normally cars are just smaller when cheaper - not older (at least in Europe). But this one was really nothing to rely on (although it took us from A to B, but it had a very hard time in the hills over Gorda Peak and around Leverick Bay). Tina said they were in the process of phasing them out, this model.<br> <br>The studio (La Cachette) was beautiful and absolutely OK for us. Situated high on a hill with a nice breeze and wonderful view and an outdoor shower. We almost were afraid to change to our reserved house, in case it would be not as good. But it was even better in many ways, so we were perferectly happy with it. Our house, the Bouganvillia, was very privat and had a beautiful patio with two etages. There was even a stair up to the very big rock, that the house was situated beside, and from there you got the best of views (the rock was about 15-18 feet high). <br> <br>During our stay we visited the Baths, Spring Bay and Devils Bay, which were all very close to us (walking distance). Several days we were there after 8 Am and had the beach for ourselves for about one hour (luckily for us we had European time in our bodies so we woke up very early – or was it because of all the roosters;))). Anyway, a lonely beach like those - it was lovely!! We also visited Savannah Bay and Maho Bay a couple of times, and they were not crowded at all. Great snorkeling at all beaches. We did snorkel a LOT. I have never snorkeled this much. Saw many beautiful and funny fishes and even Barracudas and a small shark. My husband saw a Box Jellyfish at the Devils Bay, but that was the only scary thing we saw (except for me being scared when I saw the Barracuda for the first time;) … OK the second time also;)))<br> <br>Took a daytrip to Anegada with Double D charter (powerboat), and snorkeled at Loblollo Bay. Had lunch there and snorkeled some more after lunch. It was a great beach and not many people there. Other than that we visited the Iguana Hatchery for those endemic reptiles (they were cute). <br> <br>Did a daysail with the boat Spirit of Anegada. A beautiful old schooner and that was nice to be on a boat like that. We haven't been sailing much, so this was really fun. Had good winds and specially the afternoon, offered good sailing. This trip was absolutely one of the highlights of our entire trip. Sailed to Cooper island and snorkeled near Cistern Rock. Got a very tasty lunch on the boat and then we sailed to the Dogs, for another snorkeling. Both those snorkeling spots were the best - very interesting and exciting. I got very excited about the idea that I maybe would like to learn to dive some day. All people onboard (we were 7 guests) were great and we had such a good time. The crew on the boat were very nice and made excellent rum punch (wow - you got really brave when snorkeling the second time;))) Just kidding…<br> <br>We often spent the morning and late afternoon at the beaches, and stayed out of the sun in the middle of the day. Made a lot of meals at our house (to save money). But we did go out and eat sometimes. We specially liked the Mindshaft Cafe. What a view from up there, when the sun went down. A drink at Mad Dogs close to the Baths, was also nice. <br> <br>We visited Bitter End one afternoon, took a drink and said Hi to an Iguana (fed it with a cocktail cherry). On the way back we climbed Gorda Peak (great view - but we only had one shot left in the camera and no spare film with us).<br> <br>Saw one snake (path to Gorda Peak) one "tarantula" spider (path to Maho Bay) and I think we were lucky to see that. We had only minor problems with bugs and we got the sweetest cat (a sacred Birma cat - or Himalayan, which was ownerless since her "mom" died 5 years ago. She moved in to our house and was just like a domestic cat - not wild at all and very cute. The guests had fed her since this happened, and she looked very healthy. So it was just to add some cat food on the shopping list - and after two nights - she even slept in our bed at nights;))) <br> <br>When we started to plan our home trip we decided to buy a ticket for us from Virgin Gorda to San Juan with Air Sunshine. So we did and the day before departure, they called us and said they had no aircraft!!!! The first time we buy a confirmed ticket!! So we had to go (after a little help from Tina) with a ferry that picked up construction workers for Nail Bay, at Beef Island. So they took us along on this boat very early, so that we had a chance to go to San Juan relatively early. Got on an American eagle flight 7.50 from Beef Island (we were only 8 pax) and arrived after a beautiful flight (saw all the islands) in San Juan. Luckily we got the 2 last seats on Continental to Newark and then SAS second flight to Scandinavia (to Oslo) and then to Stockholm. So everything went well, except that our luggage came the day after.<br><br>We had one of our best vacations ever. BVI is definitely a place I will consider return to, even if it's a little tricky to go to from Sweden. Everybody was very friendly and after asking us where we came from, the second question was – How did you find this place??? A LOT of research, I replied. Looks like it was well worth it!!<br> <br>I might have forgotten a lot, but one thing is for sure - I will never ever more complain about a Swedish road!!!<br><br>Thanks again for all advices I have got from you. Unfortunately I didn't meet anyone from TTOL or even saw a TTOL-flag, but maybe next time…<br><br>Best regards from Sweden/Karin <br>

Maggy