Traveltalkonline.com Forums


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics30,504
Posts228,949
Members25,439
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
TomB 89
Kennys 86
EllenS 84
Zanshin 80
Fred 69
Member Spotlight
EdB
EdB
Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 2,882
Joined: December 2008
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
03raysfan
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (Dan58, islegrl, bobsob, Chargergirl, dfmsml, EllenS, Kennys, Brian&Andi, jagmansr, Fran, George1234, CLIFFTOPS, Bigdaddy, MrTim-BTV, sleepychef, RatmansWife, NoelHall, EdB, jpfitzy7, Pohlman62, sugarae, gordapeak, gordaguy2, tomKat, GW248, greg1, SXMScubaman, RichiT, MGA, Dakota450, Fred, Rush, GaryC, MKGrey, JasonHelmbrecht, Don_and_Linda, JimDS, Bearcub, toast, ChiTownHarry, dlparch, betsyg, Memphré, timnboston, 9 invisible), 260 guests, and 299 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost #189390
04/01/2019 02:35 PM
04/01/2019 02:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline OP
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
The count down is on, and interested in any recent scoops on soundings in White Bay ( Jost ) in front of Ivans. ( thru the far right hand nav buoys ( navaids ) aid pass, toward Ivans.

Moored here several times before Irma and clearance from keel to sand was in the OK DEPT. We always snorkeled the mooring, and checked the clearance and the condition of the mooring.

Our jenneau 36i ( mono hull ) draws about 6.6 feet . ( Bareboat with Conch ) . Not sure how the depths have established themselves ;lately. post Irma...

ETA for Jost, and White Bay would be around May 22, 2019. ( after diamond cay ). Generally fairly settled conditions If jost is open to the seas and winds, we just pass....head to Canegarden Bay..

Current plan is moor at daimond cay or the bee line, ( party down ) and the next day, possibly little or great harbor and taxi, or walk over to White Bay.

White Bay is really one of our faves, and if possible would like to moor there for a day and evening. But, not at the expense of running aground. We do have legs and taxi fare.

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you



Last edited by captdennyj; 04/01/2019 02:39 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189412
04/01/2019 05:30 PM
04/01/2019 05:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 28
Frankfort, Michigan
H
hotdogman Offline
Traveler
hotdogman  Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 28
Frankfort, Michigan
I guess I can’t specifically answer your question but there were 3 40’+ moons in front of Ivan’s last night. Several more anchored in front of Soggy’s overnight.

Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189423
04/01/2019 06:29 PM
04/01/2019 06:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline OP
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
hotdog,

Thank you, that sheds a much welcome positive light on our 36 being able to moor in front of Ivans.

Appreciate your help.

Denny and Erica

Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189458
04/02/2019 07:42 AM
04/02/2019 07:42 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,196
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,196
Saint Thomas, USVI
You couldn't pay me to take a boat with 6' 6" draft into White Bay. Plenty do it and plenty get away with it. Some don't. I would not want to be the some don't. Stay in Great Harbor and Dinghy around.

Jay

Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189462
04/02/2019 07:53 AM
04/02/2019 07:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Another vote for Great Harbour and dinghy round.

Did White Bay mooring in front of Ivans about 5 years ago on a 41ft mono. Weather fine and had no issues...but wouldn't do it again. There is just no margin for error both in terms of depth and space around you.

Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189464
04/02/2019 07:55 AM
04/02/2019 07:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 631
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 631
Washington DC
as fyi in Feb each side of the White Bay channel was missing a marker

Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189508
04/02/2019 11:04 AM
04/02/2019 11:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,592
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,592
GA/NC
6’6” is going to be tough at low tide. If you get a swell or pop up thunderstorm you will be dropping the keel on the bottom. I used to go in there often with 5’11” keel and rarely had much room to spare.
G

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 04/02/2019 11:42 AM.
Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189509
04/02/2019 11:09 AM
04/02/2019 11:09 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 969
NC, USA
capndar Offline
Traveler
capndar  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 969
NC, USA
I am with Capn Jay - anchor in great harbor and dinghy or taxi over.


Capndar
Masters 50 GT Sail/Power/Towing
3rd generation sailor
Re: latest scoops on white bay soundings, jost [Re: captdennyj] #189528
04/02/2019 01:17 PM
04/02/2019 01:17 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline OP
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 211
Dana Point
Thank everyone,

Back to the Original Plan

Erica really likes Diamond Cay, and I want to go over to the B Line as well.

Then, Lobster dinner at Harris's , or Abe's in little harbor. ( All that depends on the winds and seas.)

If we wish , we can taxi over to White Bay.

We have never had a thunderstorm in May, but we have had some low visibility rain, and some strong wind and waves during our two weeks. Last trip , we noted strong winds, and seas, rolling into all of the harbors and bays of Jost.....
We checked our Diamond Cay, Little Harbor and Great Harbor, and decided that Jost was not tennable for us

We sailed over to Canegarden Bay. Those strong winds were evident as we entered the pass, but once in the lee of the mountains, it totally calmed down to near flat, smooth. No problems with any seas, swells, or wrap
around.

Thanks again, looks like the original plan will be the best.

Thanks again

Denny and Erica


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1