Trip Report part 1 (first week)<br><br>This was the best trip ever. Stayed for 2 weeks this time, still not long enough. Met more people from TTOL than I ever expected to and had a ball running around the island with them. You are a great bunch.<br><br>Used NWA FF miles for this trip. NWA: LAN to DTW and DTW to EWR and a code share on CO: EWR to SXM. This required a layover at EWR each way, but we had a ton of NWA miles so this was still good. The flights down from LAN to DTW to EWR and to SXM were only about 2/3’s full. The return flight from SXM was almost sold out. The last legs from EWR to DTW, and from DTW to LAN started at 6:10 am on Sunday and were almost empty. All of the flights were on time to early. The nice thing about flying from EWR to SXM is we got to the island at 12:28, so we got an early start to our first day. On the return, Immigration and Customs at EWR was much quicker than our usual trip through Miami.<br><br>Denise, JD (Ruralcarrier), and I had planed a TTOL party on Monday so we meet at the Pelican’s beach bar to go over last minute details. Also meet Denise’s aunt Joann and her friend Mary, JD’s wife, Maryephilly and her group, and Patty. Denise, Mary, Diana (my wife) and I went to the Greenhouse for dinner. Good dinner, good drinks if you had Mt Gay and Coke. Denise and Mary had fancy drinks and said that they were too weak!<br><br>Sunday May 4. Started watching airplanes at Sunset Beach Bar. JD and his wife found us there and dragged us over to Mary’s Boon as Dicky had offered a round of free drinks. Meet Dicky and his very aloof dog Frank. Ran back to SSBB and brought Denise and her group over to Mary’s Boon. Meet SXMWendal there. Yes, he was drinking Heineken and yes he had cashews for all. Enjoyed Dicky’s hospitality and his great drinks. Had never been to Mary’s Boon before, very nice on a nice beach. Wound up in Marigot for dinner. <br><br>Monday May 5. Headed to town for shopping. Did the Pelican’s sunset booze cruise with a group of 31 from TTOL. Started out with a reservation for 27 of us and were able to add Shawn and his group (4). Had 2 standbys’ that didn’t get on. The Pelican sunset booze cruises is the best bargain on the island at $10. It starts at the Pelican Marina at 5:30 and sails out of Simpson Bay and goes past Maho, Mullett, and Cupecoy turning around at Long Bay and back to the Pelican. It is a lightweight booze cruise: pop, beer and rum punch. If you have been avoiding it (as we had) thinking that it is like the heavy duty Jolly Roger all-day drinking binge that we have seen on other islands, it is not. Had a nice sail on calm seas with light winds, so we power sailed. Would have gotten some nice sunset photos if I had a camera with me. Dicky was on board with us and he generously pointed out all of the great photo opp’s that I missed. I love his dry British wit! This trip was so laid back that I didn’t bother with a camera. Had a good sunset but no green flash, I think that it was too cloudy. The party continued at Peg Leg Pub (PLP) after the cruise. Picked up about 8 more people on the way. Jack and Linda (owners of PLP) had reserved the patio for us. Ordered drinks and got caught by a short passing shower. Gave us a good chance to get to know each other as we huddled under the overhang. The shower was over in about 10 minutes. The next week PLP got a retractable awning installed over the patio, so that will not be a problem in the future. Ordered our dinners and out came the wine, courtesy of Jack and Linda. The service and food was great! Thanks Shawn! All had a good time. <br><br>Tuesday May 6. Took Denise and her bunch to Orient Beach. Had a great lunch at Bikini Beach Bar. Back to Pelican to clean up than to the TTOL party at Hot Tomatoes. The party was great, with Dicky serving as host and Barman. Had his famous coconut rum punches. If you have not been to one of these parties, you should go. Had a great time and meet even more great TTOL people. Help, what is the right term for a group of people from TTOL? Somehow, I don’t thing that “TTOLers” sounds right. Stayed for a nice dinner.<br><br>Wednesday May 7. Needed to slow down. Went to Friars Bay for some beach time. Denise and her bunch went to Anguilla: I forgot what JD did. Meet Denise, JD, etc. at PLP for happy hour. Happy hour is great, drinks and appetizers are ½ price from 4-7. Went to Uncle Harry’s for dinner.<br><br>Thursday May 8. Picked up Denise and her bunch. Gave them the scenic tour of the island on the way to Orient Beach. Had another great lunch at Bikini Beach Bar. The sand gravity at Orient was extremely strong today. Not sure if it is a seasonal thing or not. We have been affected by it before, but never so strongly! Back to Pelican for a light dinner on the patio. Tried Etna Ice Cream for the first time. Etna is the best that I have ever had! <br><br>Friday May 9. Still need to slow down! Went back to town to meet YodaGuy (Nick Maley) at his store and get some artwork signed. If you are into Star Wars, this is an absolute MUST for you. He has Star Wars storyboards and scripts mated and will sign them if he is in the shop. He is on Old Street. <br><br>Saturday May 10. Went to Sunset Beach Bar to wave to Denise and her bunch as they were leaving. They were on the wrong side of the plane so we didn’t get to see them. Denise said that they saw us as the plane turned to takoff and that they “saluted” us. Wound up spending most of the day there. Meet a member of the SXM Coast Guard there. He was watching planes and was set up with a scanner to listen to them. That was way cool. Think that we will take a scanner with us next time. Diana was in the mood for a lobster so we went to Lees for dinner. She devoured it! I had a very good Wahoo steak. Lee greeted us and gave us a full rundown on the menu including “We didn’t catch any tuna on yellow fin today, so we don’t have any”. I ask about Wahoo and Lee said that not many tourists want Wahoo. I first had it on Grand Cayman and love it! <br><br>Next week continued in part 2.<br><br><br>[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]