Great trip - lots of face in the water time, we snorkeled for 3-4 hours per day, hit most of the north beaches (didn't hit Honeymoon or the one next to it or Caneel - resort is closed) and had a great day at Salt Pond Bay. Bit of advice on Salt Pond, secondhand - apparently the best snorkeling is around the rocks at the end of the bay on the west side (right if you are facing the water). We did not make it out there, we went around the point on the right side, also quite good (saw a huge grouper - also saw one at Waterlemon).

Friday we went out with Capt. Phil for 3 hours on the Wayward Sailor. Great trip, wish we could have done an all day. He's quite a salty dog, lived on his 30 foot sailboat for 27 years and has been sailing locally for 30 years, 52 year career (72 years old). Very interesting guy. Bought the T shirt.

Saturday we got evacuated because of the threat of tropical storm (those tents at Maho aren't a match for a falling tree). Son was bummed, we headed to STT in case the ferry stopped running (don't think it did - we saw it dock at 7:20 from the deck of this pizza place on the marina in Red Hook - v.good pizza - owner is from Long Island originally).

So we stayed at point pleasant one night because I thought (as per last year's similar thread) Coral World would be a good idea. No luck, closed. We did get one snorkel in the little bay out there as the locals hanging at Jack's said it was better than the front desk/tourist recommended 'outer' reef next to Coral World. Nice little snorkel, we had seen several turtles breach from our balcony so we snorkeled along the shore (2-4ft deep), tons of juvenille fish. Then headed out on the turtle hunt, no luck, they must have been watching the overblown weather reports and headed out to sea... oh well, we saw a free swimming remora which I have never seen... they are funky looking when the are free swimming and it kept circling back to us, little scary as I thought it was going to latch on.

Wish we had done both snorkels at Pt. Pleasant, however the on/off rain, exhausting week and beer in hand (Jack's restaurant and bar) prevented it.

All in all a very good trip. Visibility and abundance of fish wasn't as high as previous year, but the trip to the baths and the 1/2 day sail to the channel in between the two island just north of Cruz Bay were both great.

If Maho closes I'm thinking of Turks and Caicos because I'm told the snorkeling is phenomenal, the flights are direct and less than 4 hours...

But, there were dozens of people willing to sell all sorts of trips. If you just want to do the baths, consider just taking the normal ferry which leaves at 8:30 gets back at 4 or so. The steep price includes the $30 entry fee, so, not so steep. $10 gets you to the Baths, which, I think are worth a day (we only had two hours there - would like to have snorkeled on the outside)