pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (snman31, sailingbob, anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, camview, WWII, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, luvtotravel, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, 6 invisible), 991 guests, and 66 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip report May 9-21 #195713
05/23/2019 05:41 PM
05/23/2019 05:41 PM
Encinitas, California
sbrownell Offline OP
Traveler
sbrownell  Offline OP
Traveler
Encinitas, California
Arrived STT after overnight flight thru Phili, we were meeting our crew the next day at the ferry landing, so hung out at Emerald Beach resort. Meeting 3 different sets of crew off 3 different planes mid day, and they all landed with in 5 minutes of each other. You couldn't plan that if you tried. We all made the 1:30 ferry over to Roadtown and were off to Navigare for an overnight sleep aboard on our Lagoon 50 (6 person stateroom). Our provisions showed up right on time from Caribbean cellars and Bobbys. Both were a really good experience from ordering to delivery.

Had a good dinner at the Marina that night. Up early, and boaty ball Number 1 score of the trip, we were going to Cooper Island. We had a quick boat walk thru and briefing. In all the years I have been sailing, I haven't had a company not send someone out with us to see how we handled the boat, but they sent us on our way. Which was super cool. So off to Cooper Island we went. Still one of my favorite anchorages. Turtles, snorkeling, paddleboarding was the call of the day.

Day 2 we were off to Peter Island as the kids, should say 25-28 yo, really wanted to go to Willie T. I have to say, its really not the same as when it was in Norman. A bit less activity than I remember.

Day 3 - boaty ball score #2 at Leverick - really like this system. We got an early start and headed to the baths where we were able to score a mooring ball as well. Had a great day at the bath running around and eating lunch. Fun to be there when no cruise ships are in Roadtown - Had an amazing dinner ashore (Anegada lobster was off the charts). Took pictures in the phone booth (or what was left of it).

Day 4 - Okay I don't want to brag again, but Boaty ball #3 at Anegada was secured, so we had an easy sail/motor up to Anegada. I have to agree with a former poster, Cow Wrecks beach is by far my favorite in the BVI. We also managed to get to Loblolly for some snorkeling and food as well.

Day 5/6 - Headed to Sandy Cay, for a lunch stop and walk on the beach. Unfortunately we were too late to get a ball in Great harbor, but little harbor was unoccupied. Its hard to see Sydney's PL the way it is now, as compared to before. We took taxi bus over to Whites bay, and I cannot believe how scary that ride is. We decided to stay another day on Jost, so mid day headed for Great harbor to secure a ball for the night. Was pretty easy at 11am, but by 2, all balls were gone. Spent the afternoon at Whites Bay, and dinner at Foxy's buffet. The buffet was the best ribs I've had in years. Only complaint is I couldn't eat more.

Day 7 - Checked out of BVI from Jost and headed to Lindy pt to dingy over to cruz bay to check in. Easy check in, and had an early mid moring ice cream. Walked around town a bit and lunch ashore. Back to the boat and off to Hawksnest for the night. Saw so many turtles at St Johns.

Day 8 - Moved over to Cinnamon and again had a leisurely day in the water snorkeling with turtles, paddle boarding and walking the beach.

Day 9 - A quick trip over to Sophers Hole to check back into the BVI. Easy to do, and then we went ashore to get ice. I have to say the Sopher's is not recovered yet (other than the new Marina building and docks. There is not a lot there anymore. But lots of construction underway. Next stop Norman. BTW - lots of mooring balls here. Also was saw lots of turtles. I dont recall seeing so many before. I was really surprised to see how well they rebuilt the pirates restaurant. We had a great final dinner there. Sad to have to leave the islands

Day 10 - our check out with Navigare was easy and we were off the boat and at the ferry landing for our 11:35 back to STT.

Already going thru painkiller withdrawls.

Thanks TTOL'ers for all the great info before the trip.

Steph
BVI Sponsors
Re: Trip report May 9-21 [Re: sbrownell] #195723
05/23/2019 07:04 PM
05/23/2019 07:04 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Great report...and congrats on your boatyball trifecta

Re: Trip report May 9-21 [Re: sbrownell] #195728
05/23/2019 09:18 PM
05/23/2019 09:18 PM
California
Sunnykm Offline
Traveler
Sunnykm  Offline
Traveler
California
A boatyball hat trick!

Re: Trip report May 9-21 [Re: sbrownell] #195758
05/24/2019 08:00 AM
05/24/2019 08:00 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great time.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]