pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (toast, MrEZgoin, RatmansWife, eightzerobits, steve74, xrayman67, cbf, Travel Talker, RichiT, Uksimonusa, jeepers, Mark2dBVI, jaxon60, Memphré, magpie, Midsouth, TravelHat, GeorgeC1, sugarae, 10 invisible), 960 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 #197468
06/12/2019 12:27 PM
06/12/2019 12:27 PM
Fairfield County, CT
O
obgirl01 Offline OP
Traveler
obgirl01  Offline OP
Traveler
O
Fairfield County, CT
We left JFK on Jet Blue flying the Jets Plane! This was our 8th time to the island and had not been there since the year before Irma. Love JetBlue...we upgraded to the big seats and was so worth it! A great flight down. We rented from Kenny's once again and he did not disappoint us. Car was a bit beat-up but it got us to where we needed to go the whole week!. We stayed once again at Grand Case Beach Club which we absolutely love. Their renovations since December were superior and our ocean front room was perfect! They have done an amazing job in their recovery. They were about 85% done with one more building to finish, along with the tennis court, and gym. We left our bedroom slider open every night to listen to the waves...it was perfect!

We used ShopnDrop for our groceries and all was great except for the fact that she had a flat tire trying to deliver our groceries and therefore she did not have our refrig stocked by the time we got to our room. No biggie, she was there within the hour after we checked-in.

Our first night we had dinner at Sunset Cafe....excellent dinner as always...even as they were cooking from a food truck..although you would not have known it otherwise....I had the mussels au gratin and my husband had the fried fish....Sitting by the water it was a perfect first night!

We spent our days at Club O the whole week. We managed on our first day to get beach ball racing in with Dr. J and we supplied the ma dou dou rum shots for all. Unfortunately the next day most of the participants were leaving the island and Dr. J was leaving the next day so only the one day of beach ball racing...many years past we would spend almost the whole week after happy hour bouncing those balls....we had a great time meeting up with alot of people from past visits. A great sunny day on the beach. That night we dinned in Grand Case at Pizza Pascal...Hubby had sausage with lingini and I had the Clams and Linguini....excellent as always...but it was quite sad to walk down grand case blvd and not see all the restaurants we loved to go to on the water side....I look forward to the day we return and see more business and restaurants open....Looking forward to having Calmos open again and I hope they do in the fall as stated. We use to go there at least 2 times during our stays.

Our second day we met up with cocapt who we had met the previous year in Jamaica and we spent alot of time with them. Great friends to share our time with in SXM...while we were in Jamaica the previous year we talked alot about SXM, Orient beach and all the restaurants....so it was great to meet up with them this trip!

Most of our days we had lunch at the Perch Lite...just loved the burgers, my husband raved over the hot dogs. We did venture to Bikini beach one day and enjoyed lunch there as well as early evening appetizers.....a nice place to go....

Other nights we ventured to Orient village and we tried Le Pimente....excellent food and atmosphere! I had the beef stew which really was not a beef stew but a large piece of beef cooked in a stew gravy....just melted in your mouth, Hubby had the lasagna which he raved about.....we took our friends back to Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club one night. Had escargot for an appetizer which everyone just raved about....hubby had a seafood stew with shrimp, scallops. I had a chicken dish with lemon and capers as I recall...I can't recall what our friends had....very unusual for me to forget what people had to eat....

We also ventured to Rancho Del Sol, and Spiga for dinner...of all the years we never went to either one of these places and we will definitely go back to each one....we had amazing dinners at each place.

All in all we had an awesome vacation ...the weather could have been a bit better...the humidity was really down the entire week we were there and the last few days were pretty cloudy with spotty rain....but we still managed to have our drinks and enjoy the beach each day....I would agree with cocapt in that the last day we were there....the Perch Lite did not really open at all that day...yes, it was a cloudy, windy and a few drops of rain day, and there was probably about 20 people who rented chairs that day and all were very disappointed they closed up for the day....never have seen that happen the entire time we have come to the island....

We can't wait to go back...unfortunately it will probably not be until next year but we might think about trying to stay in the orient village area.....we were so happy to see the island coming back with business. Definitely Grand Case is behind but I bet by next year there will be a big difference. I'm jealous of all the people that get to go back 2-3 times a year...one day we will do that!! Love SXM ....

Our flight home was good....airport is very busy on a Saturday...be sure to give yourself extra time.....the bus ride over to the plane ....not fun...everyone wants to be the first on and first off....so glad we had the big seats on Jetblue going home too!

SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: obgirl01] #197470
06/12/2019 12:41 PM
06/12/2019 12:41 PM
The Villages, FL
deputydog1157 Offline
Traveler
deputydog1157  Offline
Traveler
The Villages, FL
Nice report. We missed you guys by a few days, we arrived on June 4th. We also flew Jet Blue but from Fort Lauderdale. Those even more space seats are definitely worth extra few dollars.

We stayed in the village and didn't venture out much beyond the village except on our last day we made it to the Ma DouDou location in Cul-De-Sac. What a great place and the gentleman there was exceptionally pleasant. We bought a bunch of the small plastic bottles of rum as souvenirs and it was dollar to Euro when we paid in USD. He even gave us a free jar of jam as a gift.

Can't wait to get back there, hopefully again next year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: obgirl01] #197480
06/12/2019 02:06 PM
06/12/2019 02:06 PM
Clearwater, FL
Biturbo Offline
Traveler
Biturbo  Offline
Traveler
Clearwater, FL
Great report. We've also had the beef stew at Le Piment (several times) and can attest to your description. The days spent at Club O beach with lunch at The Perch are just as good as ever - a testament to Cedrick and his crew. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going where the weather suits my clothes.
Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: obgirl01] #197483
06/12/2019 03:51 PM
06/12/2019 03:51 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: obgirl01] #197484
06/12/2019 04:14 PM
06/12/2019 04:14 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Very nice report and I agree on how nice both those up-front seats and the GCBC are. So nice to stay there and have all the GC dining options at your fingertips. Does the golf cart still provide dinner transport if desired? That was kind of a fun thing but we haven’t been back there for a while to know.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: pat] #197488
06/12/2019 06:18 PM
06/12/2019 06:18 PM
Fairfield County, CT
O
obgirl01 Offline OP
Traveler
obgirl01  Offline OP
Traveler
O
Fairfield County, CT
Pat,
Unfortunately we did not see the golf cart guy...I don't think he is currently around. GCBC did have their security guys walking up and down the road though...never had any issues..
deputydog, sorry we missed you. Our JetBlue flight leaving the island got delayed by 40 min. But other than that we had great flights as always..
Miss the island already....7 days is way too short...hopefully next year it will be for 10 days!!!!

Re: Trip Report 5/25 - 6/1 [Re: obgirl01] #197492
06/12/2019 07:58 PM
06/12/2019 07:58 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TravelHat Online content
Traveler
TravelHat  Online Content
Traveler
T
Middle Tennessee
I love a good Frenchside report. Thanks