Member Spotlight
BVIslander
BVIslander
Road Town
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Mikel, michaelj, SANFILIP, sxmpete, 2 invisible), 837 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A trip to Orient #197761
06/16/2019 05:02 PM
06/16/2019 05:02 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline OP
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline OP
Traveler
Central Florida!
Continuing our road trip from this morning, from Oyster Pond, back through Coralita Beach, then to Orient. As we arrived at the front entrance of the ruins of Club Orient, we noted the pile of dirt in the middle of what used to be the entrance. Presumably so vehicles will no longer be able to drive in there, or at least, not as easily.

[Linked Image]

Heading down toward the beach, we saw the beginnings of one of the new carbets, which they are building out of concrete blocks, which is what the Collectivite’ should have done before.. Blockheads.

[Linked Image]

Someone here said this is the new the Pirate. I don’t know. There were people working there, but I didn’t want to bother them by going up and asking.
In this area, there was only a shack for Chez Leandra

[Linked Image]
We saw no other construction going on at all, on a Saturday morning. This picture is looking down toward Kontiki, which is the first of the big restaurants you come to, headed that way.

[Linked Image]

Then it is Kontiki

[Linked Image]

Then there is Bikini, but I didn't take any pictures of Bikini.

The next restaurant on the beach which is open is Kakao, which I guess they now call KKO. As well as the rest of the restaurants, it is in a different spot than it used to be. You cannot drive all the way down the beach to KKO from Bikini. You have to go back out to the roundabout at the end of the square and turn right and then turn down in the area of where Caribbean Princess used to be. Or is??

This is a picture in the parking lot of KKO.
[Linked Image]

You can see in the background, the big pile of rocks by Esmeralda. We did not see anything going on at what will be the site of Coco (I guess it will be??), which is on the other side of the pile of rocks.

This is the beach at KKO.

[Linked Image]
As you will note, the chairs are further apart than they used to be, but of course the beach was not busy either. The actual restaurants are also much further back from the ocean than they used to be.

We headed up for lunch at KKO. I wanted to sit at one of the little beach huts, which the waiter told me were only for 4 people or more. I whined that they were not busy at all, which they were not, considering it was only about 12:30, so he relented and put us in a second tier hut, which still had a lovely view.

[Linked Image]

Several more people came in after we did, including several groups of THREE, which were seated in the beach huts. We left around 2, and I never saw all the beach huts full. Just sayin’.

I wanted a pizza, but that was not to be, no pizzas on the menu here anymore. I forgot to take a picture of the menu, although I think there are pictures of the menu here somewhere. We both decided that we would have a more substantial lunch than we originally wanted. I settled on a Peruvian stir fry steak with onions and peppers, served with pomme frites, which was da BOMB!

[Linked Image]

I licked the plate.

Eric had a tuna steak, which he also loved.

[Linked Image]

We were early for lunch, and our meals came out very fast.

They had several choices of wines by the glass which were 6E, which we had a couple of different wines, which were very good, and it was nice to have different choices, considering our different meals.

As we finished our meal, a lady came up to the table, not our original server, who had been a man, and she asked if we wanted our bill. I said yes. 15 minutes later, nothing had happened, so I saw our original server and asked him for the bill, again. He said we had to go up to the window. Huh? Is this McDonalds?? Up to that point, our service had been very good, but that left a bad taste in our mouths. ..along with the fact that they never offered us any rhum as an after dinner drink. Both of those things were just pretty odd, considering we had spent maybe 80E on lunch. Not a fortune, but nothing that would expect to have to go up to the window to pay. They asked if we wanted to leave a tip on the credit card, which we declined, stating we had left a tip in cash on the table. A French tip… They charged the TGCA tax on the bill, which apparently most everyone is doing now. The exchange rate was 1.15 Dollar to the Euro.

I believe this picture is of LaPlaya. If so, it is a LONG way from being close to open, which I had thought it was supposed to be open in July.

[Linked Image]

Next up, Orient Village

Carol Hill
SXM Sponsors
Re: A trip to Orient [Re: Carol_Hill] #197782
06/16/2019 08:12 PM
06/16/2019 08:12 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Thanks for all the great pictures, Carol. Makes me wish I was back again!

Re: A trip to Orient [Re: Carol_Hill] #197788
06/16/2019 09:34 PM
06/16/2019 09:34 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Carol, regarding KKO...THE WINDOW?!! WTF?!!! lol You were calmer about it than I would have been....lol

The "front" tables were always reserved when we were there, and did fill up as we sat there. I had no problem taking second tier, as they are staggered and it's fine. I did notice a table of local French people (we had the same waiter) was offered the rhum. We were presented out bill box and we were not offered the rhum. However, I notice and pay attention to everything around me, as well as not being a shrinking violet.....merely said, "what, you do not like us as much? Why no rhum my friend?" BAM! Instant bottle. wink

Though there are several familiar faces at KKO, there are many new ones. Things are still being worked out. I know what I expect, and what I will not accept. lol

Continue to have fun my friend!!!

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: A trip to Orient [Re: BeachKitten] #197790
06/16/2019 09:42 PM
06/16/2019 09:42 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline OP
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline OP
Traveler
Central Florida!
BeachKitten--Interesting. Doubt I will go back this trip regardless, but your comments are interesting, for sure. They basically tried to tell me that we had to eat in the regular restaurant, which we weren't having. Yes, we're having a good time. The meal at KKO was better than the meal we had tonight at Auberge Gourmande. Wasn't bad this evening, just not great. Beef filet that was slightly tough... Huhm..

Carol Hill
Re: A trip to Orient [Re: Carol_Hill] #197817
06/17/2019 10:10 AM
06/17/2019 10:10 AM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
I love the blue glasses they use for water at KKÔ. Trying to find some to use around our pool at home. wink

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: A trip to Orient [Re: BeachKitten] #197819
06/17/2019 10:17 AM
06/17/2019 10:17 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline OP
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline OP
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, I noticed those.

Carol Hill