Member Spotlight
toast
toast
Bucks County, Pa.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
21 registered members (ydrwrb1, ColoBoater, fabila, Kennys, Kegoangoango, TRIM, SXMBND, marybeth, SXMScubaman, steve74, AdventureAddict, SeeDiver, Deepcut, jbutah, 7 invisible), 658 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village #198985
07/01/2019 09:26 PM
07/01/2019 09:26 PM
L
Lancer Offline OP
Traveler
Lancer  Offline OP
Traveler
L
Hello everyone, we're traveling back to the island on July 7th after 2 years away. We're very excited and looking forward to posting trip reports while there. We'll be staying a few days in the Simpson Bay area and then for several days in the Orient Bay area.

I've appreciated reading your experiences, insights and updates since Irma. This forum has always been so helpful to us in the past and though I have not posted for quite awhile, I have been reading your posts almost daily.

What would you suggest as the best route to travel these days from Simpson Bay to Orient Village? We're renting a car and in the past have traveled the west side route through Marigot and occasionally the eastern route through Philipsburg.

Thanks in advance!

SXM Sponsors
Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Lancer] #198989
07/01/2019 09:52 PM
07/01/2019 09:52 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Well, in reality the best route (less any construction) is to take Airport Road from Simpson Bay, cross the bridge and hang a left turn onto Rue de Hollande (Holland Road) towards Marigot. Follow the road north into Marigot (you could stop at the Super 'U' for groceries) and continue north and then east thru Grand Case. Continue on thru Hope Estate and as the road bends to the southeast just turn into the entrance drive for Orient Village. Just stay on the main road once you get thru Marigot and the rest is pretty straightforward. I would suggest doing this drive during daylight hours, if I had my choice. If I had to guess I'd say this drive is roughly 8 to 8-1/2 miles long. Hope this helps.

Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: SammyM] #198994
07/01/2019 11:34 PM
07/01/2019 11:34 PM
L
Lancer Offline OP
Traveler
Lancer  Offline OP
Traveler
L
Thanks so much SammyM! And also for the Super U tip!

Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Lancer] #199002
07/02/2019 06:11 AM
07/02/2019 06:11 AM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
There is major construction in front of Super U just now and traffic backed up through Marigot frequently. Took us over an hour to go that route yesterday.

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Lancer] #199008
07/02/2019 07:37 AM
07/02/2019 07:37 AM
U
Uksimonusa Offline
Traveler
Uksimonusa  Offline
Traveler
U
There is also a new Super U near Hope Estates, on the road from Grand Case to Orient

Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Lancer] #199009
07/02/2019 07:48 AM
07/02/2019 07:48 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
When we were on island the middle of June, it was almost a 'you can't get there from here!!' situation, as, in addition to the construction in Marigot, (which there is also construction on a couple of the side streets in Marigot, as well as the Rue de Hollande), there was also two different road construction sites if you went from the Dutch side through Orleans. Possibly the one construction, which was very close after arriving on the French side, having just traversed the roundabout where the McDonalds is, is finished. That one was a pretty lengthy jog through a very residential area. The construction in Marigot is a bigger PITA probably than the other way.

Carol Hill
Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Lancer] #199054
07/02/2019 02:00 PM
07/02/2019 02:00 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
In that case, I would opt for the other (but longer route). Instead of hanging a left after the bridge, take a right turn where the new Texaco gas station is. This is Union Road, I believe. You will follow this road east for about a mile, and stay on it as it bends towards the south. The traffic circle will come up quick and exit onto Brouwer Road which will wind around and go 'up and down' until you reach the next traffic circle. Stay on Brouwer Road as it will now head north and then northeast past the large ACE hardware store. Brouwer Road sort of becomes Scott Road and you'll see the large Carrefour Market on your right. You can stop hear and load up with groceries after getting a bite to eat at one of my favorite stops, Mark's Place! Now, it gets a little tricky. At the next traffic circle exit right onto Bush Road (there's a Pizza Hut/KFC on the corner). In roughly 500 feet or so you're going to take a left turn onto Zagersgut Road. I believe there's a Petrol gas station on the left side where you turn so you may want to watch for that. In about a half mile on Zagersgut Road you will encounter yet another traffic circle right past the Tiremaxx (if that place is still there). The road now becomes A.T. Illidge Road, but be sure to follow it to the NORTHEAST and not the south exit.

You're still very much on the Dutch side of St. Maarten so continue to follow Illidge Road north/northeast and you will eventually see the McDonald's that Carol was referring to near the traffic circle. Bear north into French St. Martin and you will see the border monument letting you know you have crossed over. The road will soon bend to the northeast and you're heading directly towards Orient Bay. They'll be a little hill and curve right before St. Joseph's church and just continue on until you reach the primary entrance for Orient Village and turn right. Easy, right? once again, I would suggest doing this drive in daylight hours rather than after dark. This route avoids both Marigot and Phillipsburg, so it may prove to be better in the long run. Good luck.

Re: Best route from Simpson Bay to Orient Village [Re: Uksimonusa] #199074
07/02/2019 07:19 PM
07/02/2019 07:19 PM
L
Lancer Offline OP
Traveler
Lancer  Offline OP
Traveler
L
Thanks everyone! Particularly for the construction heads up and alternative directions. I downloaded maps.me , another great recommendation from someone here on TTOL, so I’ll check out these longer directions before we leave.

Last edited by Lancer; 07/02/2019 07:22 PM.