This was our 5th visit to Grenada, although the last was 4 years ago and we anticipated some changes. Our LIAT flight from St. Vincent got in around 9:30 AM, and our hotel, Blue Horizons, had our room available as they said they would. We have always been impressed by this hotel - good value, well kept, friendly staff, and full kitchens if you want to do any of your own meals. New air conditioning, with remote compressor, so the room unit is very quiet. Although it is not on the beach, it is an easy walk to Spice Island, where you can use the beach chairs. The only negative was a paucity of books in their lending library, especially those in English. It is very convenient to nearby shopping - especially the new (to us) Spiceland Mall, with a very good supermarket.<br><br>We picked up a car from David's on arrival. Rental rates in Grenada are relatively high - around $55 per day US, although David's gives a discount for repeat renters. We have always been happy with their cars and service. They were very good in dealing with a flat tire one morning, and another one I blew next day. Many people are unwilling to drive on Grenada, partly because of driving on the left, and in this case, with a right hand drive car, but mostly because of the roads. They have been markedly improved since our last visit - at least, the main ones - although the pothole family is still thriving. A lot of traffic lights were new to us also. They have replaced the police in St. George's with a corresponding reduction of local color. The roads generally are pretty much what one would expect on a mountainous island - narrow, steep and crooked. Even on newly rebuilt roads, the pavement often ends directly at a vertical-sided rain gutter that may be a foot or more deep, so it is wise to keep the wheels on the pavement. Add to this a lot of pedestrians, especially school children. Nevertheless, we enjoy exploring on our own. <br><br>In our previous trips to Grenada, about the only "musts" that are always recommended that we had not seen were a nutmeg processing plant and the River Antoine rum distillery, noted for its age and continuing use of old processes. You can get a guided tour of the latter for a couple of dollars each (plus tip), and it is quite interesting. The product, Rivers Rum, which you get to taste (actually not bad), is over-proof and apparently not available outside of Grenada;. We went to the Gouyave nutmeg station, which is supposed to be the largest, and again you can get an instructive tour for a dollar plus tip. Also interesting to see the effort that goes into spice production. Otherwise, we did a fair amount of wandering around the island. We got to Bathway -Levera on a rainy day just to see how it had changed, and saw some of the preliminary work for a new resort development. I was surprised at its location, as I thought the area was a national park. It seems to be pretty remote. While there, we walked up a ridge to look over the ocean at Bedford Point, assuming the top of the ridge would be rocky. Instead, we found the most adherent mud we have ever seen. We also drove into Concord Falls one Sunday when it was closed (we have never been there when anyone else was present; we always seem to find our way there on damp days). More water so more impressive than on other visits; we did not try to walk in to the second Concord falls. Incidentally, the current road maps imply that the road in is of the same character as the main road. It is not; passing another car is a challenge. There are some interesting drives around Point Jeudy, Woburn, True Blue and L'Anse aux Epines. The Medical School campus at True Blue is quite impressive. By the way, what is the yellow "castle" on L'Anse aux Epines? <br><br>Went to St. George's for a couple of lunches at Nutmeg restaurant (my wife needed their sea moss; I like their rotis) and stopped into the museum, which is worth seeing, but could be better with a little more curatorial attention. The cultural area upstairs also was interesting to go through. Also noticed a lot of construction for a new cruise ship facility along the Esplanade. It looks as if they are going to try to expand the cruise tourism when this is finished - maybe good for the economy, but not for the character of the island. By the way, for an excellent view of St. George's and the harbor, go to Fort Frederick, which is nicely restored.<br><br>As this was the start of the rainy season, we got a fair amount of cloudiness and some rain. We knew what to expect, so were not upset; we would have preferred to go earlier but couldn't. However, this meant we did not visit some of the beaches we otherwise might have, and spent our beach time either at Morne Rouge or Grand Anse. Both are excellent beaches. There are a few vendors walking Grande Anse but they are not obnoxious. We did buy a couple of mangos from one of the women; a mistake, as they were so good that they have spoiled us for any others. <br><br>As for eating, we tried several restaurants, some of them twice as there were things on the menus we wanted to try. For the most part, I can't remember what we ate, although we tend to the local dishes. Aquarium - went twice; very nice setting and service. The food is good, but I would rate a couple of others better. I do remember that I had curried conch, and was quite happy with it, but my wife had the same dish the next night at True Blue, and it was better. True Blue - also went twice, and recommend it highly. Quite a variety of local, continental and Mexican selections. Coconuts - another double. This gets attention in reviews as a romantic, feet-in-the-sand restaurant, but the food is just as good as the atmosphere. Especially pleased that we could get breadfruit. Rudolph's Grill at Cinnamon Hill also was nice. Although not on the menu, my wife was able to get a vegetable plate that she used to like at the old Rudolph's, and it was as good as before. I had weiner schnitzel, which was very good. Tout Bagay in St. George's - this was our first time at this restaurant. Not disappointing, but our least favorite - although the view at night over the carenage is pretty. My wife was able to try flying fish here, although otherwise the menu was not very unique. The Boatyard - we go there every trip. Sometimes we have been disappointed, but this time it was excellent. Belle Creole, at the Blue Horizons - the most up-scale of the restaurants we tried, with a somewhat more limited menu, but the food is exceptional. Staff and service were also great, and they remembered us after 4 years. We also had a couple of breakfasts here - good fruit plates and French toast - but mostly we got our own. Ditto for lunches, although we could not miss Nutmeg and also a satisfactory and inexpensive lunch a Tropicana. La Boulangerie, an Italian restaurant with a French name and pastries, has excellent espresso and raisin-cinnamon rolls; also excellent croissants which are NOT buttery - might not appeal to some, but I don't like butter.<br><br>Our return to New York via American Eagle and AA through San Juan was uneventful. We could have made it in one day, but opted to overnight and spend the afternoon in Puerto Rico. Flying out of the San Juan airport on AA in the morning involves long lines and a certain amount of confusion in finding the right one, so being early helps.<br>