Traveltalkonline.com Forums


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics27,939
Posts200,254
Members25,149
Most Online1,403
Dec 25th, 2017
Top Posters(30 Days)
pat 40
RonDon 39
Tammy 31
Kennys 28
Member Spotlight
UncleLuff
UncleLuff
Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 217
Joined: December 2015
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
NeilRooney, Sthpawfncr, Xave
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (pulio, SMS43, steve74, HibiscusFan, BeachKitten, sail445, cbinparadise, OllieEh, SoggyDollarScott, firstcharter, FRANKIE2, 2 invisible), 70 guests, and 364 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BVI Customs Question #204529
09/14/2019 07:40 PM
09/14/2019 07:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
A
AndyW Offline OP
Traveler
AndyW  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
I'll be sailing a bareboat charter out of Charlotte Amalie in May 2020. I and my wife are US citizens and a couple from England will be on board with us along with a Captain for hire for 8 hours on the first day. We are required to drop the captain off at a port with a ferry so he/she can get back to Charlotte Amalie.

I'd like to make it to Leinster Bay, St. John the first day but the closest port (besides Cruz Bay) is Soper's Hole, BVI.

I'd like to sail into Soper's Hole harbor and have my friend from England take him to shore with the dinghy (I will not be dropping anchor or picking up a mooring). If my friend does not tie up to the dock and drops the captain off, is my friend still required to check in at BVI customs? Or can my friend just drop the captain off and immediately head back to our sailboat without checking in to customs?

I'm asking because we'd like to stay at Leinster Bay the first day and then officially enter the BVI the next day without all the back and forth.

Thanks for any tips!

BVI Sponsors
Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204530
09/14/2019 08:46 PM
09/14/2019 08:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,604
VI,NY,AZ
sail445 Online happy
Traveler
sail445  Online Happy
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,604
VI,NY,AZ
Follow the rules or deal with the consequences

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: sail445] #204531
09/14/2019 09:03 PM
09/14/2019 09:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
A
AndyW Offline OP
Traveler
AndyW  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
I'm asking what the rules are specifically with regard to the dinghy going to the dock and my friend not going ashore. That's the point, I'm trying to get clarity of the rules. I already know if you don't drop anchor you don't have to check in (at least, that's the way it is between Canada and the US).

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204533
09/14/2019 10:16 PM
09/14/2019 10:16 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 450
East End, Tortola / Chicago
YachtReprise Offline
Traveler
YachtReprise  Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 450
East End, Tortola / Chicago
Oh Lordy, no....can't do that. I was in Soper's at the C&I office when someone did just that. The Immigration officer freaked out and made all kinds of threats to the parties involved. Doesn't matter if you take a mooring, anchor or not.

Drop him in Leinster, and call him a cab....it's easily accessible by road. Ferries on the hour from Cruz Bay back to Red Hook.

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204537
09/15/2019 04:27 AM
09/15/2019 04:27 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,214
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,214
GA/NC
If you sail into BVI waters for any reason other than innocent passage you must clear customs. Entering a harbor is never innocent passage. This is not even a gray area. The penalties can be very large. If your skipper is onboard for a initial checkout drop him at Cruz bay and then head to your anchorage for the night.

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204540
09/15/2019 08:54 AM
09/15/2019 08:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 932
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 932
USVI
Your check out Captain will know that your BVI plan is not a good one. Dropping off in another country without checking in is naive, illegal and not a good plan anywhere.
I have sailed US/Canada waters often and know they would not allow dropping of someone in another country that way.

You do not have to get him ashore at a 'port' -- I have been that check out Captain a few times myself, and would suggest Maho Bay STJ as a much easier drop off point for your itinerary. Closer to the road and Much! easier to get a ride to Cruz Bay. About an hour motor up to Leinster Bay afterwards if that is what you want to do, NPS moorings in both places.
Take every advantage of the knowledge that your captain can impart -- on the vessel systems, the boat handling, the rigging for raising, reefing and dropping sail, safety concerns, navigation suggestions, mooring pick up practices, dinghy operation and handling -- but particularly the vessel systems for power management, system operation and maintenance and troubleshooting.
It is a huge bonus to have a knowledgeable sailor familiar with the vessel, waters and in this case Rules, on board to start a charter - it will give everyone on board a chance to ask questions that would only distract you as Captain of a new boat in new waters the 1st day.
Any charter company that sends a vessel out breathes a great sigh of relief if a Check Out captain is aboard for the 1st day -- it greatly increases the probability of a successful and trouble free charter for ALL involved and will make your job as captain for the duration considerably more effective and [hopefully] stress free.
FWIW
This all is only my opinion - except for the BVI drop off - from my experience of decades on every level of chartering from being a guest, crew, employee and Captain
.

Last edited by LocalSailor; 09/15/2019 09:02 AM.
Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: sail445] #204558
09/15/2019 01:34 PM
09/15/2019 01:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,888
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,888
Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by sail445
Follow the rules or deal with the consequences


Very helpful comment.

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: NCSailor] #204561
09/15/2019 02:11 PM
09/15/2019 02:11 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,604
VI,NY,AZ
sail445 Online happy
Traveler
sail445  Online Happy
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,604
VI,NY,AZ
Originally Posted by NCSailor
Originally Posted by sail445
Follow the rules or deal with the consequences


Very helpful comment.


No, I should have gone into detail.

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204565
09/15/2019 02:47 PM
09/15/2019 02:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,135
Finger Lakes Region and Mexico
crmoores Offline
Traveler
crmoores  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,135
Finger Lakes Region and Mexico
LocalSailor thanks much for sharing your wisdom and experiences!


Bluewater
Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: YachtReprise] #204615
09/16/2019 08:44 AM
09/16/2019 08:44 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
A
AndyW Offline OP
Traveler
AndyW  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by YachtReprise
Oh Lordy, no....can't do that. I was in Soper's at the C&I office when someone did just that. The Immigration officer freaked out and made all kinds of threats to the parties involved. Doesn't matter if you take a mooring, anchor or not.

Drop him in Leinster, and call him a cab....it's easily accessible by road. Ferries on the hour from Cruz Bay back to Red Hook.


Thanks! I'll look into this

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204616
09/16/2019 08:44 AM
09/16/2019 08:44 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
A
AndyW Offline OP
Traveler
AndyW  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks for the tips everyone. Very much appreciated. I fully intend to follow the rules, just needed some clarification.

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: LocalSailor] #204617
09/16/2019 08:46 AM
09/16/2019 08:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
A
AndyW Offline OP
Traveler
AndyW  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by LocalSailor
Your check out Captain will know that your BVI plan is not a good one. Dropping off in another country without checking in is naive, illegal and not a good plan anywhere.
I have sailed US/Canada waters often and know they would not allow dropping of someone in another country that way.

You do not have to get him ashore at a 'port' -- I have been that check out Captain a few times myself, and would suggest Maho Bay STJ as a much easier drop off point for your itinerary. Closer to the road and Much! easier to get a ride to Cruz Bay. About an hour motor up to Leinster Bay afterwards if that is what you want to do, NPS moorings in both places.
Take every advantage of the knowledge that your captain can impart -- on the vessel systems, the boat handling, the rigging for raising, reefing and dropping sail, safety concerns, navigation suggestions, mooring pick up practices, dinghy operation and handling -- but particularly the vessel systems for power management, system operation and maintenance and troubleshooting.
It is a huge bonus to have a knowledgeable sailor familiar with the vessel, waters and in this case Rules, on board to start a charter - it will give everyone on board a chance to ask questions that would only distract you as Captain of a new boat in new waters the 1st day.
Any charter company that sends a vessel out breathes a great sigh of relief if a Check Out captain is aboard for the 1st day -- it greatly increases the probability of a successful and trouble free charter for ALL involved and will make your job as captain for the duration considerably more effective and [hopefully] stress free.
FWIW
This all is only my opinion - except for the BVI drop off - from my experience of decades on every level of chartering from being a guest, crew, employee and Captain
.


Thank you!

Re: BVI Customs Question [Re: AndyW] #204653
09/16/2019 03:36 PM
09/16/2019 03:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 53
NY
Thistle Offline
Traveler
Thistle  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 53
NY
If you want to go to Leinster Bay, St. John, why are you going to the BVI first? Why doesn't your captain take the ferry back to St. Thomas from Cruz Bay on St. John, right next to Leinster Bay. The next day you can go over to the BVI and be fully legal.

Last edited by Thistle; 09/16/2019 07:39 PM.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1