Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Kennys, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, eightzerobits, bailau, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, cbf, seeitall, RickinAtlanta, Time Will Tell, xrayman67, duckfat, boucharda, davidandsusannj, kaba, mark37, MamaB, caribbeangirl13, Jeannius, Chaseec, sailingbob, WWII, 11 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance #201745
08/05/2019 12:45 PM
08/05/2019 12:45 PM
F
Five Faces Offline OP
Traveler
Five Faces  Offline OP
Traveler
F
First timers here…GREAT FORUM - I have been doing a lot of reading both on this forum and others, books, etc. Our family of four (kids are 11 and 14) have reserved a Moorings 433PC. Here is my first stab at a draft itinerary:

TUES NOV 26 –
Travel, Provision, Briefings, Overnight at Base

WED NOV 27 –
Norman Island The Bight via The Indians (Mooring)
GRUB & GROG – Willy T’s, The Pirates Bight

THURS NOV 28 (Thanksgiving) –
Cooper Island Manchioneel Bay via RMS Rhone (Mooring)
GRUB & GROG – Cooper Island Beach Club, Rum Bar

FRI NOV 29 (No Cruise Ships) –
Virgin Gorda North Sound via The Dogs, Taxi to The Baths from Leverick Bay (Mooring)
GRUB & GROG – Top of the Baths, Hog Heaven, Coco Maya, Leverick (BBQ),

SAT NOV 30 –
Anegada (Mooring or Anchor)
GRUB & GROG – Cow Wreck Beach, Loblolly Bay, Wongy Dog, Potters

SUN DEC 1 –
Cane Garden Bay if No North Swell (Mooring) / ALT Marina Cay (Mooring) or Scrub Island (Dock)
GRUB & GROG – Quito’s, Myett’s, Elm (Elmtones)
GRUB & GROG (ALT) – Marina Cay, Scrub

MON DEC 2 –
Jost Van Dyke Great Harbour via Sandy Spit, Taxi to White Bay (Mooring)
GRUB & GROG – Soggy Dollar, Hendo’s Hidout, Ivan’s, Foxy’s

TUES DEC 3 –
Return Power Cat to Road Town Base, Travel Home

Any comments on above itinerary?

A couple of questions:
1) Should I consider mooring over at BEYC/Saba Rock in lieu of Leverick?
2) I tried to schedule according to no cruises at Baths which puts me at Cooper Island on Thanksgiving, is this a good place for Thanksgiving dinner? Or should we change schedule without consideration of cruise ships? We could start at Cooper and finish at Norman which would put us at Leverick on Thanksgiving but would have to deal with cruise ship at Baths? Any other Thanksgiving possibilities elsewhere?
3) I don’t have Trellis or Oil Nut Bay anywhere on the itinirary, should I drop/add anything?
4) Norman Island, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, JVD are all must do’s on our list. Cooper, CGB, Marina Cay are all flexible? What stop is higher on your list of to-do’s, CGB or Marina Cay? Is Cooper Island a must do?
5) Any other must-do’s for food/drinks?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!!!

BVI Sponsors
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201751
08/05/2019 02:55 PM
08/05/2019 02:55 PM
Kansas
captmoby Offline
Traveler
captmoby  Offline
Traveler
Kansas
Don't over think it. Your actual Itinerary will change for many reasons that just happen along the way, some good and others not so. I would suggest you just make a list of things you want to do and just use it as a guide along the way.

Jim
Sailmoby II
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201754
08/05/2019 03:55 PM
08/05/2019 03:55 PM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town
Saturday Anegada is Lobster Fest parties, live music everywhere

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: sleepychef] #201755
08/05/2019 04:41 PM
08/05/2019 04:41 PM
F
Five Faces Offline OP
Traveler
Five Faces  Offline OP
Traveler
F
Originally Posted by captmoby
Don't over think it. Your actual Itinerary will change for many reasons that just happen along the way, some good and others not so. I would suggest you just make a list of things you want to do and just use it as a guide along the way.

Thanks for the reminder, after all it is vacation. I'm trying to get a good agenda as a strong starting point with the caveat that I need to be flexible and willing to change as we proceed if necessary.

Originally Posted by sleepychef
Saturday Anegada is Lobster Fest parties, live music everywhere

Thanks for the heads up!!! In your opinion is this a good thing or a bad thing? How crowded does this event get? Are moorings going to be a challenge during an event like this?

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201765
08/05/2019 08:08 PM
08/05/2019 08:08 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Anegada lobster fest is a very good thing

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201766
08/05/2019 08:39 PM
08/05/2019 08:39 PM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town
No plenty of FCFS moorings available its mostly an influx during the day from the ferries, but a great time to visit.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201768
08/05/2019 09:29 PM
08/05/2019 09:29 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
You’re over doing it a bit.
Spend the first few days getting acclimated while snorkeling and going from island to island and then get ready to party

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201770
08/06/2019 02:22 AM
08/06/2019 02:22 AM
Tampa Bay, Florida
SonOfTheSea Offline
Traveler
SonOfTheSea  Offline
Traveler
Tampa Bay, Florida
Lots of things here...

Should you consider mooring at BEYC/Saba instead of Leverick?
Only if you can’t get a ball at Leverick. Plus those mooring balls have been largely out of use or not maintained since Irma. I’m not sure if anyone is actually even using them, though I’ve heard a couple forum members mention they’d done it. My personal experience in May 2019 was that the other boat in our group ended up grabbing a ball at Biras Creek near BEYC after my boat snagged the last FCFS at Leverick. Our friends said there were several other boats on balls near them and they had no issues. So, if I were there again and Leverick was full, I’d scoot over to Biras Creek and expect to find several usable balls. In that case, however, you may be a bit farther than you’d like to comfortably dinghy over to Leverick.

Are all of your Grub & Grog locations actual stops you’re intending to make? Or are they simply your notes on what your options are? If you intend to hit every location you list on each day you may be overloaded on a couple of those days in my opinion. Just make sure you leave time to relax and enjoy everything, take it all in! Don’t forget about the kids and giving them some time to have fun too.

I wouldn’t worry terribly about skipping Trellis and Oil Nut Bay, but if money isn’t a factor you could probably make a whole day out of ONB. They have their recently opened marina village that is free to visit I believe, but there is a fee to visit their resort and pool area. Check their website for info. It looks fantastic but many people shy away from the pricing. The marina village on its own hasn’t seemed to impress a few forum members that have been there since it opened, so unless you plan on paying to visit the resort and pool area I’d suggest passing on ONB altogether.

As for Marina Cay and Scrub Island, I’d recommend grabbing a ball at Marina Cay and splitting your time between there and a short dinghy ride over to Scrub Island. Marina Cay has a fantastic view from the hilltop, and the restaurant has good food and the best painkillers I found during our trip. But you really don’t need much more than a couple hours there at most. Scrub Island is awesome. The kids will love the pool and slide (lets be honest, me and my adult buddies loved the slide too haha!). There is also a beach and pool on the north side of Scrub but I didn’t get to see it last trip. I think a day split between Scrub and Marina Cay is definitely worth it. Not sure if there is any fee to use facilities at Scrub if you’re not on the dock that night, might want to verify. They do have a nice market for provisions along with hot showers and clean bathrooms, so that’s another nice thing to have mid-trip.

One other stop you might want to consider would be Diamond Cay, which has the B-Line bar and Foxy’s Taboo. That was actually one of our group’s favorite stops and we will definitely include next time. The bubbly pool is a 10-15 minute walk from Foxy’s Taboo, it is pretty neat if the tide is coming in. The kids would enjoy it surely.
Another stop the kids would enjoy is right across from Diamond Cay, at Sandy Cay. The small island is great for an hour or two stop. There are all kinds of rock formations on the south shore that people have made from washed up rocks on the shoreline. Our group each found their own rock and we made a pile of our own, adding to the hundreds of others left by previous visitors. Kinda neat and the kids would probably enjoy that too. Sandy Cay is also close to Cane Garden Bay and Great Harbour, JVD. Definitely recommend if you’ve got a couple hours to make the visit, but there are only a few mooring balls FYI.

All this is just my $.02. Hope your trip is great!

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201775
08/06/2019 07:12 AM
08/06/2019 07:12 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
If all the balls near Leverick are filled there are plenty of spots to anchor. No need to go a mile away to pick up a ball where the sea floor shackle is probably rusted almost all the way through since they have not been inspected or maintained in 2 years.
G

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201776
08/06/2019 07:35 AM
08/06/2019 07:35 AM
Annapolis, MD
B
Bri Cin MD Offline
Traveler
Bri Cin MD  Offline
Traveler
B
Annapolis, MD
My wife and I will also be on a powercat from November 28 to December 3. We did not not know about the anegada lobster festival. If we get out on time from the Moorings and the weather is good, I was going to Jost Van Dyke the 28 if we are late getting out then Cooper Island. I think there is a lot to see on Anegada so we will be there Friday and Saturday night. Sunday going for Jost Van Dyke again. Cane Garden Bay, Norman and Cooper Islands to finish up. We are going to Virgin Gorga for a week starting December 3rd, we are renting a house. My wife can only go so many days without a pool, lol.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201778
08/06/2019 08:18 AM
08/06/2019 08:18 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
All IMHO...

Skip Trellis, Scrub, ONB-for ONB you need to check Moorings redlined area anyways for ONB. You can always go to a nice resort in the world which Scrub and ONB (I have been to both) are but when you have a boat there are lot cooler things to see in the BVIs.

2 days in Anegada is a good thing...lobster anytime there is a great thing. At Anegada make sure you make dinner reservations (Potters or Wonky) and then make sure you see Flash of Beauty to snorkel and Cow Wreck Beach...possibly Big Bamboo if time permits. A tour of Horseshoe Reef with either Kelly or Sherman would be a great way to spend a 2nd day

+1 George's comments about Leverick vs North Sound

Diamond Cay became our new favorite last trip like Son of Sea and we hit that after White Bay JVD for the night.

i would suggest eating more on the boat...it is more flexible and cheaper especially at places like The Bight

CGB trumps Marina Cay if no north swell. You can provision there

For Baths go either 1st thing in morning or afternoon if cruise ships. In Feb we went AM and done by 1000 (docked in Spanish town) and in May we went at 330 (taxi from Leverick)

for JVD grog would do Hendos for food. Best food in White Bay IMHO. For Great Harbour Corsairs trumps Foxys...stop at Christine's bakery

Great itinerary...have a lot of fun.

Get 4 noodles for snorkeling at Moorings base camp

All IMHO

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201779
08/06/2019 08:28 AM
08/06/2019 08:28 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Bailau would make a great host to show you around.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201781
08/06/2019 08:55 AM
08/06/2019 08:55 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
LOL...you are the seasoned traveller...:)

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201789
08/06/2019 09:34 AM
08/06/2019 09:34 AM
Maryland
Kirk Offline
Traveler
Kirk  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
I thought BEYC was aiming to have something set up for boaters for the upcoming season? I remember seeing a dive company posting picture of all new hardware for the mooring balls up there-like they were working on getting them ready.

Kirk in Maryland
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201802
08/06/2019 10:10 AM
08/06/2019 10:10 AM
F
Five Faces Offline OP
Traveler
Five Faces  Offline OP
Traveler
F
Are all of your Grub & Grog locations actual stops you’re intending to make?

My intention was to simply list my preferred options. For one, I certainly can't afford all these stops, and second, I can't drink like I used to back in college (although I try sometimes). Thanks for taking the time to reply, very informative!!!

CGB trumps Marina Cay if no north swell.

This is what I was looking for, thanks.

Some of you speak very highly of Diamond Cay which wasn't even on my radar, would it make sense to spend two (2) days around JVD, Diamond Cay, Sandy, in lieu of Cooper island? Or is Cooper Island a must do?

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: bailau] #201804
08/06/2019 10:20 AM
08/06/2019 10:20 AM
Rockford, Michigan
aarpskier Offline
Traveler
aarpskier  Offline
Traveler
Rockford, Michigan
We have done two BVI trips with 4 grandchildren (first trip ages 6-11, second trip 3 years later) and their parents. The Bight is a great first night stop, but Willy T's is not a place I would take an 11 and 14 year old and Pirates is way expensive. Lots of FCFS balls in the Bight. If you get off the dock early enough, consider hitting The Indians, then picking up a ball in The Bight and dinghying back to The Caves. Or, given that you are only going as far as Cooper the next day, you could do The Caves in the morning before heading to Cooper. In any event, eat aboard in The Bight, relax and watch the sunset.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201805
08/06/2019 10:31 AM
08/06/2019 10:31 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
I wouldnt do 2 days at JVD...we usually start and end there but 1 day is fine. White Bay usually winds down by 400 or so at the latest.

typically we moor at White bay JVD and then take powercat and spend the night at Diamond Cay or great Harbour...next day on way to Leverick swing by Sandy Cay. Be careful as sand on West side of Sandy Cay is gone so dinghy comes in on rocks...

we chose Diamond Cay (as alternative to Great Harbour) since we have been to Foxys so many times have been phasing out Great harbour...if north swell you can get to bubbly pool from Diamond Cay. I think your idea of mooring at Great Harbour (or alternatively Diamond Cay) is fine and then taxi to white bay and on way back maybe stop at great Harbour (Corsairs/Foxys). Diamond cay is more peaceful than Great Harbour

If you haven't been to Cooper it is a good stop although difficulties getting a mooring and less than stellar service have made this less of a "must do" for us....but if you go, snorkeling with turtles and rays is great as are the bushwackers.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: bailau] #201815
08/06/2019 11:38 AM
08/06/2019 11:38 AM
F
Five Faces Offline OP
Traveler
Five Faces  Offline OP
Traveler
F
ALL GREAT INFO...Thanks to everyone!!!

Anyone have thoughts about Thanksgiving Dinner at Cooper or other alternatives or thoughts on spending Thanksgiving in the BVI???

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201816
08/06/2019 12:12 PM
08/06/2019 12:12 PM
S/V Event Horizon
FRANKIE2 Offline
Traveler
FRANKIE2  Offline
Traveler
S/V Event Horizon
You might check with Leverick.

KF Quinn

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Kirk] #201864
08/07/2019 09:55 AM
08/07/2019 09:55 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Originally Posted by Kirk
I thought BEYC was aiming to have something set up for boaters for the upcoming season? I remember seeing a dive company posting picture of all new hardware for the mooring balls up there-like they were working on getting them ready.

BEYC has a plan to have part of their marina open by December 2019, according to a piece I just read in Cruising mag.

[Linked Image]

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201865
08/07/2019 10:09 AM
08/07/2019 10:09 AM
NY
Thistle Offline
Traveler
Thistle  Offline
Traveler
NY
Leverick Bay is great. I would suggest renting a car rather than a taking a taxi if you're planning on hitting more (hog Heaven, Spanish Town, etc) than just Top of the Baths and the Baths. When you arrive at Leverick, just go into the office and request a rental car, you won't have any trouble in getting one.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #201944
08/08/2019 08:23 AM
08/08/2019 08:23 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
To further the discussion re car rental, we have used mahogany car rental several times. They have a decent web site and will deliver the vehicle to leverick. It is easy driving on Virgin Gorda. Not much traffic. You would have lots of flexibility with a car rental.

In addition to hog heaven and Spanish town, Savanah Bay is beautiful.

A car rental will also help with shopping for provisions.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: warren460] #202191
08/11/2019 12:44 PM
08/11/2019 12:44 PM
Lodi, California
shiloh8912 Offline
Traveler
shiloh8912  Offline
Traveler
Lodi, California
I second the use of Mahogany on VG. Super easy to rent, we just met them behind the market at Levericks (pre-Irma) and spent the day driving around VG. The Baths, Hog Heaven, dinner at Coco Maya then just dropped the Jeep off and left the keys on the front seat. Was an amazing day.

"We lost our corkscrew and were compelled to live on food and water for several days.
~W.C. Fields"
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #202715
08/18/2019 11:15 PM
08/18/2019 11:15 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Word(s) to the wise, we've been there with kids/teens a few times:

You can't be in a hurry, otherwise you'll be miserable, everything happens at an island time pace, which you'll get used to and embrace,

An itinerary is only a rough guideline, subject to frequent change. Weather will probably keep you pinned down a couple of days, enjoy North Sound, Anegada or the Bight during these times.

The first day getting the boat and getting off the dock will take much longer than you'd think. Kids/wife will be tired as will you, go to Marina Cay (a short hop), pick up a mooring and get them in the water snorkeling while you catch your breath.

Keep food coming for the kids, as soon as you hit a beach/beach bar order mac & cheese for them with drinks for you, their energy level will maintain till your dinner reservations come up and everyone will be happier.

Let them have some ownership of the dinghy, prepping, cleaning and driving.

Have them chart your course on a paper chart, great to look back on when you get home.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Latadjust] #202933
08/21/2019 04:08 PM
08/21/2019 04:08 PM
F
Five Faces Offline OP
Traveler
Five Faces  Offline OP
Traveler
F

Great teen tips!!! Thanks for sharing.

Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #204911
09/18/2019 11:01 PM
09/18/2019 11:01 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Online content
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Online Content
Traveler
We will be there around the same time on my brother's Sunsail 444 named Let's Play Two. Look for us, we will be flying the W!

Being a first timer I'm impressed with your itinerary. We are doing something very similar and have been going for years! Of course our world is a bit different than yours as our kids are now in their early 20's. We will have three 20 year olds and two 24 year olds. A different kind of crazy for sure!

In North Sound I would also suggest renting a car. Much cheaper, the roads aren't busy and you can see more of the island and go on your own time. Just keep saying "stay left" to yourself especially when making a turn. If no mooring balls at Leverick we either grab a mooring ball or anchor near Prickly Pear. We have always loved this little island although the last time we went they wanted you to pay for the use of the beach chairs even when we bought a drink. Not sure if the bar/restaurant is back up and running but pre-IrmaMaria they had the best Bushwackers in all of our taste tests (and we tasted many)!

We LOVE Cooper and would never miss it. Huge barracudas rest in the shade under your boat and the snorkeling off Cistern Point is pretty good and easy for kids. There is often a dolphin hanging out in the bay and my kids even got to swim with it one year. The last time we were there the dolphin "Peter" had a baby with her. The Rum Bar is always #1 on our list of spots to stop.

We have also hung out at Scrub Island and we loved it. We decided to dock that night and it was a great experience with the pool right there and it had amazing showers. I would definitely do this over Trellis.

Just FYI, you can take the dinghy over to White Bay from Great Harbor. You might get a little wet but it's cheaper than a taxi and we have seen dolphins on the trip over before. Just be careful to avoid the shallow parts of the reef on your way into White Bay. We have seen people hit the reef even in a dinghy.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: caribbeangirl13] #204912
09/18/2019 11:12 PM
09/18/2019 11:12 PM
caribbeangirl13 Online content
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Online Content
Traveler
Forgot to add that we rent a car in Anegada as well. Much more freedom to go to different beach bars and not too expensive. Check out Anegada Beach Club. They have a great pool for the kids to swim in. We typically do Cow Wreck, ABC, Loblolly. We use SNK Amazing Rentals. Stephy has always taken care of us!

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: FIRST Post / FIRST Bareboat Charter - ITINERARY Assistance [Re: Five Faces] #205003
09/19/2019 10:02 PM
09/19/2019 10:02 PM
Boston
A
Anne27 Offline
Anne27  Offline
A
Boston
We love Cooper Island, wouldn’t miss it. We usually stay two nights in anegada, taxi to Cow Wreck beach on our down day. Don’t worry about missing Trellis Bay, marina cay is nicer IMHO. You’ll have a great time and the best memories!