The mission : Depart Birmingham 7-22-03, arrive sometime the same day in RT, Tortola for 10 glorious days of sailing the beautiful waters and islands of the BVI.<br>The Players: Phil - 1st Mate and his wife Gail, Willis - mechanic/dingy captain and his wife Cherie, and Myself, Rick - captain,trip planner and my best 1st mate and wife Jan.<br>July 22-- Leave B'ham 5:30AM central to Atlanta by car. Four month ago when we booked our airline tickets our flight included the B'ham to Atlanta leg, however, Delta canceled the return leg from Atlanta to B'ham, so we decided to drive the first leg so we would have a way home from Atlanta. The 11:20 Delta departure flight was at the gate on time, but 1 hour late leaving. Did I hear right - 80 standby's!! Instead of us arriving 3:22 central time, more like 4:15 in St Thomas. We booked with Smith's Ferry, so "Love Cab " was waiting at baggage claim for us. Took us to Red Hook where our Ferry "Sterling" was coming from St. Johns' to pick us up. Our party of 6 was the only one on the ferry to West End. Caribs on board to get us in island mode. Our transport from TMM was supposed to meet us at WE, but left when we were so late, but customs stayed open for us to clear. We just got back on the ferry for the trip to Road town. We then took a cab to Prospect Reef. Penny at TMM had booked us 3 rooms for the nite and I had prepaid them with a credit card 2 months ago, but when we checked in there was only one room reserved in my name even though I had 3 confirmation #'s. They made us give them credit card #'s for 2 more rooms. I was pissed. Front desk personnel very unfriendly. I stayed here last year, but this will be the last time. The next day I made Penny call them and they suddenly found the other 2 confirmation #'s. I walked over to TMM's marina that 1st evening. Our boat, "Midori" a 41 foot Lagoon, 4 cabin 4 head layout, was docked on the bulkhead ready to go. Because of the tropical depression #6 which hit the Windward Islands Tues.AM, most all charter boats were called and warned to get back into port, so TMM's docks were packed with boats. We taxied to C&F for Tues. dinner. Had the Ribs and conch fritters. Each couple split one order. On the way back we stopped at Bobby's to settle our bill on provisions which we had preordered on line. Also picked up some ice cream ( Dove Bars ) for dessert. Our driver, Patrick, happily shared with us.[Linked Image]<br>Wed.23rd--- Phil, Willis and I walked over to TMM at 7:30, paid Insurance Visar, cruising tax and Parks fees and scuba tank rental. Bobby's arrived promply at 8:30 and while some checked and stowed provisions, I inventoried the boat. Then Meesha came to do the boat and systems check with me. She was really good, thorough and fast. Bobby's shorted us one case of Carib[Linked Image], so they left and came back in 20 minutes with the beer and a couple extra T- bone steaks and chicken fillets to make up for their mistake.[Linked Image] Meanwhile the girls checked out of the hotel and brought our luggage over. We stowed it all and by 10:30 we were casting off. We broad reached straight for the Indians. Picked up a mooring, I scuba dived while the rest of the crew snorkeled. We motored over to the caves just to give them a look. Last year, bad experience with box jelly here so we didn't want to stop. That jelly was still there waiting for us you know![Linked Image] We motored into the Bight, picked up a mooring about 2 PM. I counted 55 boats here before sunset. Dingied to Pirates for a drink, then back to the boat for stargazing.<br>Thurs 24th --- Left mooring by 8:30 and tacked between Norman and Peter for some time. Sailed by White Bay, but wanted to anchor at Key Bay for lunch. Anchored here and while setting the anchor and backing down, the hook on the snubber line broke out completely straightening it out. I later swam the anchor and discovered that the chain had wrapped around a small piece of coral or rock, so there was no give when the boat and chain grabbed. We rebent the snubber hook and attached it back. Lunched and snorkeled here, then sailed around west end of Peter past Little Harbor, Great harbor, Sprat Bay to Deadman's Bay. I thought I would anchor in DMB for the night, but at 3:30 there were at least 10 boats east of the swim buoys, so we motored out and into Sprat Bay, where I filled my scuba tank. Couldn't take on ice because water to Peter Island Resort was low and they cut off supply to docks first. No water or ice. We motored around to Great Harbor, picked up a mooring here, then radioed Deliverance to bring ice ( 8 bags ). We snorkeled Great Harbor, then had grilled chicken for dinner.<br>Friday 25th --- Dropped mooring by 7 AM and motored straight to Salt Island and the Wreck of the Rhone. I was geared up and in the water by 8:15 and was the only one on the wreck site for the first 30 to 40 minutes. Lobster, 5 King crabs were inside the hull. Resident barracuda followed me for a while. 78 ft. for 55 minutes. I surfaced after my safety stop to at least 7-8 boats moored around us. Motored off and tacked to Cooper Island. Last year tried twice to moor at Cooper but it was always full, so I was gonna get there early. Picked up mooring by lunch time. It was never full, but 5 Moorings 45's with young kids ( divers ) came. Went ashore to Cooper Island Beach Club for painkillers and R& R. Spagetti on board that night for dinner.<br>Sat. 26th --- Early departure for the Baths. long tacks since easterlywinds. Arrived about 9:30. Dingied in with crew, then I took the dingy back to the dingy line and swam in. Through the baths to Devil's Bay. Met 2 nice couples from New York, upstate and Texas. They met on their honeymoon in St. Lucia and have been vacationing together since. They took pictures for us and us for them. Then we all hiked up the trail from Devil's to the Top of The Baths and Mad Dogs. Mad Dog's was closed, but we ordered lunch at TOTB's. I had the flying fish sandwich, Jan had the turkey rhuban. Very good with french fries and pasta salad. Back to the boat, then depart for North Sound. I thought we would be able to reach up the coast to Mosquito Pass, but wind had sifted and was coming out of the NE. So we were close hauled toward the Dogs. Passed between West Dog and Great Dog and Cockroach. Out far enough so that our next tack would take us back to Mosquito pass or Anguilla pass. Motored through the cutt to Leverick Bay and picked up a mooring just as it started to rain. Our mooring was close to a sunken sail boat with the mast sticking up out of the water. We dingied in to Leverick to make phone calls home, do a little shopping at Pusser's store, wash and dry clothes and just hang out. The guys dingied back to the boat with perishables and ice while the girls stayed behind drying clothes. I left Jan my handheld VHF radio so she could call us when they were ready to be picked up. It took them 2 blenders full of bushwhackers to call, but we were still able to retrieve them. Dinner on the boat was pan fried weiners and hot dogs.<br>Sun 27th --- Up early again at 6:30 for 1 hour of engine running to charge batteries and cool the fridge. Breakfast of toasted english muffins with strawberry jelly, raisin bran cereal and orange juice. We motored to the dock and did our thing ashore while we waited for the dock to open. Got ice again for coolers, topped off our water tanks, then headed out the channel for Mosquito rock. Hit that waypoint, then set our 12* north course for Anegada. The wind was fresh at 20 knots just north of east. We were making 8.5 to 9 knots SOG. Left mosquito rock at 8:45 and by 10:15 we dropped sails and motored uneventfully into the Anegada anchorage. There are now only 2 red buoys marking the channel. Only 5 boats in the anchorage Sunday night. Called ARH for Lobster reservations. We chilled awhile then dingied into ARH to catch the open-air cab driven by Keith to Flash of Beauty beach bar at Loblolly Bay. We walked the beach awhile, then cut up awhile with Cheryl at the bar. She made us painkillers, mudslides and bushwhackers. Her bushwhackers were the best. The difference is she she added some French vanilla and banana liquir. All the other ingredients ( ameretta, Bailey's, Pusser's rum, kalua, coco lopez and pineapple juice ) the same. After a couple of hours, Keith picked us up, returned us to Pam's Kitchen, where we got a few goodies ( brownies, cinnamon buns and blueberry muffins) for tomorrow's breakfast. We walked the beach back to ARH, dingied back to Midori to cleanup for dinner. Back to ARH by 7:15 for Lobster, carrots, potatoes and carrot cake for dessert. Lawrence came by for a chat. Then back to Midori for early sleep.<br>Continued.

Rick