pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (tmsxmsails, lcote, Bigdaddy, Don_and_Linda, GeorgeC1, Kevin_B, Wahnfried, Zanshin, Matt W, Time Will Tell, RonDon, camview, jagmansr, JeanneB, Fran, bkigar, YachtReprise, Bakoguy, sailingbob, SXMScubaman, PML, Manpot, anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, snman31, WWII, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, 7 invisible), 965 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
FRANCE part 9 #206566
10/14/2019 03:41 PM
10/14/2019 03:41 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
FRANCE part 9, August 2019

Final morning in Beaune, we didn't want to leave, especially since we would be returning to where our adventure began, which meant the experience is coming to an end. The morning weather was like the rest of the trip, perfect. Walked the town and fueled up with breakfast at a cafe before driving to Dijon. Should be noted that I carefully exited our parking space behind a beautiful vintage Lamborghini Countach! We decided to return the car at the Dijon train station and use the rails for our final leg back to Paris. There were no EuropCar reps at the lot at 10am?, but other reps said it's normal and to leave the keys in a box, so we did.

Fast forward a bit, once home we received an email from EuropCar that contained photo's and a question?? "Were you involved in an accident, if so was a report taken?" UH OH!! I compared their photo's to the ones we took and I saw no new damage! All is well, no extra hassle!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We spent a half hour at the train station talking to a woman from Dijon who was heading to Normandy to paint. It's times like this that I think I should pick up the brushes, pencils or charcoal again? In a much earlier life I was a fine arts major, draftsman....always wonder what my life would be like if I had stayed on that track? Using our phone translator for much of the conversation, she described Dijon as a beautiful city steeped in history, a must visit, next time! The short train ride allowed for a beer and a little planning for our final night in France.

Once checked into the lovely Hotel Cambon perfectly located in the 1st Arrondissement, we once again began walking. Donna wanted to shop for a special gift for her Aunt, so we headed across the Place de la Concorde, what a magnificent plaza!! Now, "they" say Paris empties out in August, hmmm? The streets and walkways of Champs Elysees' was not the place to be this day if you suffer from agoraphobia!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We aggressively elbowed our way up one side of the avenue, I exaggerate for affect!! We made it safely as far as the neo-classical Arc de Triomphe, an outstanding sight for sure. Now back down the other side of the famed avenue. This place is where people watchers surely want to be and of course shoppers, like my wife, will be extremely happy! Funny moment from this walk was crossing a street, a beautiful Citreon Deaux Chevaux stopped at the light next to a parked Lamborghini and Maserati, I caught the drivers attention giving the 2 outrageous cars a thumb down then pointed at his more humble ride, yet classic, and gave it a hearty thumbs up, seemed to make his day!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once out of reach of the hordes of people we really needed to find some food, I mean REALLY needed to find some food, that is not for affect, we were both HANGRY!!! Out of the busier sections we found little in the way of food, would you believe we walked all the way to the base of the Eiffel Tower to find food! There was a great food festival going on so we planted ourselves among the masses with a plate of sausage, vegetables and fries and of course a beer! It was here that we would encounter the so called "Loud American Stereotype", we unfortunately sat next to the most obnoxiously loud group of flight attendants on a layover... I thought to myself...give it a rest ladies, jobs suck, we know that, have a drink and mellow out, geeesh!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Needing to find a quiet retreat away from the noisy and personal space ignoring multitudes, we ventured back to the calmer waters of the river. I had remembered to stow away our last bottle of Pommard in my backpack! I begged a nice vendor for 2 of his plastic cups and with those in hand we crossed back over to the quiet side and found the perfect spot on La Seine Riverbank! It was only us, the ducks and a couple of other people trying to remain sane on the Seine. Ahhhhhhh, I'm feeling so much more relaxed now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's certain this will be one of our most memorable times, simply sitting. Sipping a nice bottle of red (which we biked to get!) sitting next to the cool flowing waters of the Seine, only sounds made from the passing ducks and the view, THE VIEW! Soon the long shadows reaching towards the Eiffel Tower reminded us that night was not far off, so back to the room to get cleaned up for dinner.

[Linked Image]

I have always been a big fan of Toulouse Lautrec paintings and especially the way he portrayed Parisian nightlife. We grabbed an Uber and headed for the Moulin Rouge. After we arrived and walked a little I was really underwhelmed with the environment. Not sure what I was expecting, but I think the area could have a much more nostalgic feel to it. Oh well, it was late and we found a restaurant just about to close and since it started to drizzle we took a table inside by a large window. We opted for slow cooked Farmers chicken and French onion soup for our final dining experience, very nice!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

During and especially after dinner we found ourselves exhausted! It would have been easy to head straight to the hotel since it was after 11pm, but we had to see the Eiffel Tower all lit up right?! It did not disappoint!!

[Linked Image]

To be continued..........

Sponsors
Re: FRANCE part 9 [Re: BEERMAN] #206580
10/14/2019 05:26 PM
10/14/2019 05:26 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
More great shots!

I found your comment about being underwhelmed at the Moulin Rouge funny.
My girlfriend (now wife) and I went to a show at the Moulin Rouge in 1972. We were 15 years old.

Not sure she was impressed with the show as much as I was... In fact after a bottle of Champagne before intermission... I may have been a little overwhelmed...
It is an experience I will never forget.

Funny thing was I no idea about the Moulin Rouge or what it was.
However before we left for our exchange summer program, my mother was insistent that when in Paris I go to the Moulin Rouge and see the Toulouse Lautrec paintings.
I saw a lot more than paintings that night! Thanks Mom!

Great story, but not online.

BTW - The older I get the less I like big cities.

Last edited by TomB; 10/14/2019 05:41 PM.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: FRANCE part 9 [Re: BEERMAN] #206589
10/14/2019 07:25 PM
10/14/2019 07:25 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TravelHat Offline
Traveler
TravelHat  Offline
Traveler
T
Middle Tennessee
You have some great photos there. Cars, wine, landmarks all good.

Re: FRANCE part 9 [Re: TravelHat] #206680
10/15/2019 06:51 PM
10/15/2019 06:51 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Thanks travelhat!