Member Spotlight
joe9090
joe9090
new jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (Leagle49, fabila, MKGrey, lcote, timnboston, jenniboston, deputydog1157, Jaybird, KC2SXM, steve74, Zanshin, Tom, boucharda, Jc1925, tradewinds, Beansbbq, road3682, IWIWSE, WWII, jrw, 6 invisible), 921 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: #207056
10/21/2019 07:23 PM
10/21/2019 07:23 PM
F
fletchccc Offline OP
Traveler
fletchccc  Offline OP
Traveler
F
Ahoy!
Can someone educate me regarding the ins and outs of hiring a crew that will be picking up charges in both the BVI as well as USVI? I have heard from broker that it behooves us to hire Americans as foreign crew wouldn’t be able to pick up charter guests in USVI easily. But I don’t understand why? Is it an issue something along the lines of: they can pick up guests in a touch and go manner but not dock, provision, sleep at dock, then pick up guests then leave? Thanks!!

Last edited by fletchccc; 10/21/2019 07:27 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: [Re: fletchccc] #207070
10/21/2019 08:47 PM
10/21/2019 08:47 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
Originally Posted by fletchccc
Ahoy!
Can someone educate me regarding the ins and outs of hiring a crew that will be picking up charges in both the BVI as well as USVI? I have heard from broker that it behooves us to hire Americans as foreign crew wouldn’t be able to pick up charter guests in USVI easily. But I don’t understand why? Is it an issue something along the lines of: they can pick up guests in a touch and go manner but not dock, provision, sleep at dock, then pick up guests then leave? Thanks!!

Any boat that comes in to US will need to clear C&I. Once you are clear the crew can come ashore, dock the boat, etc etc. That's not an issue. But I'm guessing the issue is that the captain has to be USCG certified to run the boat with paying customers. And if it's ore than 6 passengers it would have to be a Masters license. If it were me I would ask your broker for details - the brokers I've encountered down there seem to know there stuff pretty well and I'm sure they can enlighten you.

Life's short - sail more!
Re: Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: [Re: fletchccc] #207263
10/24/2019 08:36 PM
10/24/2019 08:36 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I am curious about one thing. A friend was looking at putting a French boat into charter in the USVI. He was told by several different people the boat would need to go into the BVI as the Jones act would prohibit charter use of a French boat. I don’t think this is correct as I know CYOA is putting new French boats in their fleet. Anyone have the straight scoop on how the Jones act relates to charter boats?
G

Re: Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: [Re: fletchccc] #207353
10/25/2019 11:41 PM
10/25/2019 11:41 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Much misunderstood.
Jones act applies to cargo/freight.
Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 applies to passengers.
(Even major cruise lines consumer sites incorrectly reference Jones Act.)

But the issue is likely due to visa and work eligibility in USA (USVI).
Also issues of same in BVI

Capt Jay will chime in?

Last edited by jphart; 10/25/2019 11:43 PM.
Re: Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: [Re: GeorgeC1] #207359
10/26/2019 07:25 AM
10/26/2019 07:25 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
There are several issues at play. Our boats are all bareboat. Considered recreational boats legally. So coastwise trade does not come into play. Also, the USVI is exempt from the Jones Act. We also have an exemption or modification to the six-pack law for uninspected vessels. You can legally transport up to 12 pax on an uninspected vessel here with a crew. There are some inspection hoops to jump through but there are a lot of boats doing it legally. For bareboat the number of passengers as per the manufactures rating on the boat.

As for the original question about the nationality of crew on a crewed vessel. Work visas are difficult to get. There are licensing hurdles as well. A US-flagged vessel even one built overseas will generally have an easier time with a US crew picking up and dropping off in US waters. In addition to those issues, it is just easier. Easier flights for your guests, easier provisioning, easier access to parts both on the island and shipped in. Plus a larger cruising ground. US, SVI and BVI's. You can pick up seven times a year in the BVI's as a US-based boat. I would not do it at all unless the guests were staying on land in the BVI prior to their trip. Why would you put your guests through the ferry taxi gauntlet? I would not do it to myself let alone a paying passenger on a luxury crewed trip. We have privately arranged cabs that pick up our guests and have them at the base ten minutes from exiting the baggage claim in Saint Thomas. We do that for bareboat. Crewed I would expect at least that level of service.

Jay

Last edited by CaptainJay; 10/26/2019 07:32 AM.
Re: Hiring crew for crewed catamaran out of USV: [Re: GeorgeC1] #207360
10/26/2019 07:29 AM
10/26/2019 07:29 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I am curious about one thing. A friend was looking at putting a French boat into charter in the USVI. He was told by several different people the boat would need to go into the BVI as the Jones act would prohibit charter use of a French boat. I don’t think this is correct as I know CYOA is putting new French boats in their fleet. Anyone have the straight scoop on how the Jones act relates to charter boats?
G

They were misinformed. There are dozens of French Boats, US-flagged running charters out of the USVI/