Member Spotlight
pat
pat
Brookfield, CT.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Swifty, taraavo, Snorkeller, eightzerobits, sailingbob, RickinAtlanta, ColoBoater, Brian&Andi, candu, PML, MrEZgoin, Todd_Melinda_K, mark37, bostonbob, UncleLuff, duckfat, timnboston, MKGrey, caribbeangirl13, charlie, Travel Talker, Manpot, deliveryskipper, WWII, diver67, StMartinFan, steve74, Kathleen, Memphré, nevar37, KirkB, SacoFrank, Alltech63, cabokid, VirginGordaResident, 10 invisible), 1,059 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mold issues? #207927
11/02/2019 10:22 AM
11/02/2019 10:22 AM
P
pwarrick Offline OP
Traveler
pwarrick  Offline OP
Traveler
P
I've been going to SXM for years and never had an issue with mold in any of the numerous places I've stayed. I stopped in SXM in September on a cruise and checked out Orient Beach, much to my happy surprise and was planning a weeklong stay during December this year. However, I've read in some condo and hotel reviews that there were some pretty bad mold issues. Having stopped overnight in SJU at the end of the cruise, the hotel we stayed in was so wet that, even with two dehumidifiers (and emptying them out before the end of the 1-night stay), the floors were moist and the smell of mold was an issue. I returned with a cough I attributed to the mold.

As much as I was looking forward to returning in December, the possibility of mold, mosquitoes and now bromates in the water are giving me pause.

I know mosquitoes are going to be there, as they always have been, and for the most part, they were manageable with repellent and being careful at dawn and dusk.

What are you hearing about mold, though? After the SJU experience, I'm "once-burned, twice-shy."

Thanks!

SXM Sponsors
Re: Mold issues? [Re: pwarrick] #207928
11/02/2019 10:39 AM
11/02/2019 10:39 AM
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
GaKaye Offline
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline
Traveler
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
I guess it all depends on how well the property was restored after the hurricane. We've been back to the island twice since Irma, last May and last November/December. We stayed at Atrium in May and at our usual unit at La Vista Beach in November/December. We didn't encounter any mold issues at either place. I also didn't notice it at any of the restaurants we frequented.

Re: Mold issues? [Re: pwarrick] #207935
11/02/2019 12:07 PM
11/02/2019 12:07 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Where are you actually staying? Do have a confirmed reservation somewhere? I have not heard any specific issues of mold somewhere on the French side, but if for example you are staying at the former Mt. Vernon, it is POSSIBLE there may be mold issues in particular units, as they are all individually owned. If you are going through an agent, ask that specific question about the particular unit that you have in mind, or have reserved. We have stayed now three times since Irma, one at a private villa on the French side and twice at Beachside Villas, and there were no mold issues at either place. As far as the French side water issue, no, you are not supposed to drink the water from the tap. Simple, buy bottled water. SOME places are providing bottled water free with rentals. Ask where you have your reservation and if you don't have a reservation, ask that question before you make the reservation. Honestly, the water situation is a big issue for those living on the French side. (Especially since they are being charged EXTRA and not getting potable water from the tap.) But, for a tourist on a one or two week stay, no biggie. Buy bottled water in the 1.5 liter jugs. I think we got 6 of the 1.5 liter jugs at Super U for something like 4.5 E. Even using bottled water for coffee, we might have gone through 12 bottles, so under $10 in total for our trip, when we stayed at the villa. A non issue.

Carol Hill
Re: Mold issues? [Re: Carol_Hill] #207939
11/02/2019 12:21 PM
11/02/2019 12:21 PM
P
pwarrick Offline OP
Traveler
pwarrick  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Thanks, Carol. I normally stay at one of the condo/timeshare properties, but have on occasion stayed at privately owned properties with no issues in the past. In looking at some of the comments on tripadvisor about a property I'd rather not name here, there was a report of a fairly widely advertised one near Cupecoy that sounded almost as bad as the hotel I stayed in while in SJU.

Great suggestion about just asking these specitic questions. I'm probably less likely to go with a one-off rental like airbnb.

You're right about the water. I read the article in the Daily Herald about the water issues and it sounds like bottled water is what most residents on the French side are doing. Heck, I even filter the water from the tap at home, lol. (and I don't live in an area with known lead issues...)

Re: Mold issues? [Re: pwarrick] #207940
11/02/2019 12:25 PM
11/02/2019 12:25 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Not sure which property you're talking about, but I personally would avoid Sapphire, as there have been problems there for a long time, pre Irma. I understand things are getting better there now, but I personally wouldn't risk it there. Best wishes!

Carol Hill