I have been sailing the BVI and many other Caribbean areas for a long time. Five years ago, having lost my regular sailing buddies to places where one wears long pants I thought “self, where did I sail to that I would like to spend time at” low and behold the answer came to me; Sandcastle aka home of the Soggy Dollar bar. So now for the fifth year I’m returning for a two week stay. I shipped my box of 18 books (an annual procedure) three weeks in advance and have had word that it has arrived. I am well known for sitting on one of the wicker chairs facing the Bay and reading while keeping an eye on everyone and everything, and doing this for 2 solid weeks, leaving only on the nights that Chef Oliver is not feeding me. KC, Windy, Mark and everyone else makes certain that I am supplied with the various beverages needed. I am prone to take Miss Heineken swimming, hitting the Benders (my cardiologist suggested banana drinks for the potassium), Gin before dinner, wine with Gran Marnier, Amaretto or Scotch after. Chambord with my flan, cheesecake or chocolate mousse. I am always amazed at how they remember my patterns.

Friday August 15

After all this wait I’m finally off. American got me in on time but my connections were tight so I was worried my bag might not arrive with me. Sure enough I was standing there when everyone else had cleared. The Customs guy suggested I wait as another plane was just coming in. There it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to spend my traditional first night at Maria’s. It was 11:00 p.m. on arrival at the hotel, Maria was on her way out but came back to talk awhile. This is a very astute lady/businesswoman. It felt so good to be there, and they do pour my scotch on the liberal side!

Saturday August 16

Off for brunch at Village Cay. Wonderful eggs benedict and the atmosphere is perfect for a new arrival or resident. This time each year there is a sailing school for what appear to be high schoolers from England. Last year it was coed this year I only saw girls. They were exuberant and entertaining.

I was then off to do my shopping. Bought some prints at the Sunny Carribee and had them shipped home (they arrived in perfect condition and got there ahead of me by a week).

Then back to Maria’s where I enjoyed liberally poured Pina Coladas. Very refreshing after all that shopping. Then my ride came to take me by the Riteway for my usual bottles of Glenfiddich for night reading and then off to the dock at the Jolly Roger. Wish they were open this time of year. Especially since my water taxi (KC’s son) was 1:45 minutes late and there was nowhere close by to get a drink. Got several beers from KC for that though so all was well in the end.

Finally I arrived. All concerns about sitting on the concrete all that time disappeared. It seems Sandcastle had sent another boat for me but they didn’t get word in time. I was greeted by Bruce, Debbie, Claire, Gary, KC and of extreme importance Oliver (the chef). This is my 5th year staying at Sandcastle and 28th year sailing in to the Soggy Dollar. Welcome home to me.

Oliver’s Bernaise sauce was great on the steak and the soup was amazing.

Sunday August 17

It was very busy at the bar Sunday, lot’s of USVI folks. The singer I’ve seen discussed on this board, Kenney Chesney, was apparently there. I only know this because three very attractive ladies decided to do body shots on each other and I was told they were part of the Chesney group. Bruce and Debbie discourage this activity but it started so fast no one seemed to care. But I must say it was an enjoyable way to start the trip. These were very enthusiastic ladies with little in the way of inhibitions.

Debbie’s sister, brother in law and two nephews were down visiting and are musicians. Father and one son played fiddle and guitar along with island legend Rueben Chinnery. It was a great show. The relatives have an album out (World in Motion by Acoustic Planet) with several songs inspired by the BVI including Limin’ and Tortola Roller Coaster Ride.

Filet Mignon with a peppercorn sauce and seafood chowder. I also got hold of a serving of Flan. (particularly good with Gran Marnier, Amaretto or Chambord (it helps to know what to ask for and who to ask)

Monday August 18

A most amazing thing happened. Someone called out to “come look” and I noticed people on the boats all focusing on the water inside the bay. Two porpoise had entered and were playing; they played with the snorklers and gave us an incredible show. They leapt into the air many times twisting and turning. Even the belongers who can be very blasé about everything were amazed. The show lasted a good 30 minutes or more. Many people, myself included, had plenty of time to swim out to great them.

My first TTOL’ers. Larry and Linda (Imsailing) came up and introduced themselves. What a great couple. They were having a very good trip and seemed so very happy, not only with the trip but with each other. It was great meeting them. As I write this I don’t remember for sure if Larry and Linda were in for the porpoise show.

Tuesday August 19

Finally a quiet day. Learned that Joan, Christine and Lorna (hotel staff) were off again on a cruise in a few days. Last year they left the same time I did. Pinky the day cook and desert maker extraordinaire was on a cruise my first week. Lorna’s niece from Grenada was there helping out with the boutique. She was leaving for her last year of High School in a few days and was a lot of fun.

Wednesday August 20

Must have been quiet a day. Didn’t write anything down.

Thursday August 21

TTOL’ers Doug, Bobbie, Kim, Amy, Matt and Steve came in to play. They are apparently quite regular having been down in June and coming back in October. They were a fun group. $20,000 on the ring toss game, something about marriage?

It was Chateaubriand for dinner. Life sure is hard.

Friday August 22

Got lot’s of rain. Since I’m from the desert I don’t see much rain. Other than two couples I met from Phoenix I am the only one I know who goes down to cool off and see it rain. It seems to be the opposite for most.

A small ferry with a large group of East Indians came in for lunch. They didn’t go to the bar or the boutique. In for food and back to the boat.

Chef Oliver is off tonight so I talked everyone into trying Foxy’s Taboo. This is Foxy’s daughter Justine’s new place by Little Yost. The immediate area seems a bit desolate but the building is nicely done. Open air. Four boutique beers on tap and a good menu. The chef had been down to the Soggy Dollar Monday drinking and heard all about the menu then. I had a London Broil served with sun dried tomato, prosciutto and Kalamata olives. Very impressive. All were happy with their meals and we all had plenty of drink. The chocolate cheese cake on oreo crust was awfully nice. I am told their daytime pizza is very good.

Saturday August 23

Damn, I’m about halfway through the trip. It is a gorgeous day, clear and sunny with a breeze just right to keep the flies off and keep me comfortable. Got a lot of great photos. All this time the place has been full, this is a first for this time of year. 2 great couples left today and more arrived. As usual several honeymooners.

I never eat lamb at home but I don’t miss Oliver’s. It was great.

Part two soon come.