Member Spotlight
BVIslander
BVIslander
Road Town
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
8 registered members (Wingman, Mikel, michaelj, SANFILIP, sxmpete, 3 invisible), 839 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 #215087
01/21/2020 07:27 PM
01/21/2020 07:27 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
C
ChuckYeager Offline OP
Traveler
ChuckYeager  Offline OP
Traveler
C
San Francisco Bay Area
This trip report is for last week 1/11-1/19/2020. We chartered a 35’ Beneteau (Big Blue) from BVI Yacht Charters. We have chartered 10 or so times in the BVI. I usually charter a larger boat but thought this would be fine for my wife and I - but with a guest later added and the rough weather I wish I had gotten a larger boat with two heads. That said the boat was fine.

I had been glued to the weather updates on this forum for a week so had plotted out an itinerary taking into account the wind/waves and that all matched the chart briefing guidance Sunday morning. The charter company had not let boats leave at all on Saturday. Suggested not using the sails 😏.

The Report:

Friday - Red Eye at 11 pm on AA - SFO to Philadelphia then on to STT.

Saturday - Arrived STT 1:30 pm, taxied to Charlotte Amelie Ferry (Speedy since Road Town Fast Ferry wasn’t for another few hours) rough ride to Road Town (a few people seasick). Taxi to beautiful Port Purcell and boarded our boat. Offered and took an early boat briefing. Bobby’s delivered at 7:00 (an hour late the usual substitute or unavailable items); grabbed a few drinks, a bite to eat from the delivery and went to sleep.

Sunday - Chart briefing at 10:30 (best place to go in wind (forecast to 40 knots) waves (forecast to 13’) and rain - Great Harbor, Peter Island or the Bight on Norman. Shopped for missing Bobby’s items nearby and headed to Great Harbor at noon. Rough ride over but a quick hour or so motoring trip and lots of balls available. Relaxed, enjoyed the views, visited Oceans 7 for a beer, cooked dinner, went to bed amidst strong winds and rain. Got up at 2 A.M. to find the Bimini zipper to the dodger had failed and the cover was madly flapping in the wind and rain held on by only the immovable zipper and the back part still secured to the pole structure. Secured it as best I could and back to sleep.

Monday - We had already decided to stay put, given the weather, so slept in, called the charter company about the Bimini/cover and relaxed and enjoyed the super yachts and weather turmoil around us. The wind was so strong I couldn’t light the charcoal grill. Charter company sent a launch over after lunch and collected the Bimini leaving us coverless - promising to have it fixed and returned.

Tuesday - We had planned to meet our guest at Scrub Island Resort so headed out during a break in the weather. It was a wild fun ride (prettier without the cover lol) motoring directly into the wind and waves - then hit with heavy white out wind/rain near Cooper Island. We saw it coming so were situationally aware and ready - we dove under the dodger to keep watch with the auto pilot steering. Arrived at Scrub Island (had a reservation for one night); the charter company arrived with a repaired Bimini/cover - resown with new zipper (complete with new straps for reinforcement). A dip in the pool with a painkiller at the bar and a shower for both of us. Met our guest and took her to dinner in the main restaurant. Food was great! The place was mostly empty except at the bar.

Wednesday - Nice breakfast at the restaurant next to the pool and off to North Sound and Leverick Bay. I had reserved a slip for two nights. Still windy and rough but not bad - arrived tied up (a challenge backing in with the bow blown around in heavy wind) and relaxed. It was one of the Michael Beans nights at Leverick so I took in the show while the crew relaxed and listened on the boat (quite the production, very fun, now I get it) and off we went for dinner in the restaurant upstairs - which was excellent as always.

Thursday - I had booked a trip with Gumption to visit Necker Island which many recommended. The glass bottom boat picked us up at 9:40 am at Jumbies and off we went. Suffice to say it’s worth the trip to Sir Richard Branson’s private island, to meet and hold the Lemurs, enjoy all the other animals, birds, and the other “how the other 1% vacation” sights. You can rent the place for only $79k a night. Back to Leverick, lunch on the boat and an open air taxi ride to the Baths. Yellow flag up but not bad - water cloudy with a surge so not great snorkeling but a great experience as usual. Back to Leverick for drinks and casual dinner at Jumbies the Leverick downstairs restaurant.

Friday - After breakfast on the boat, got water and ice (no free ice anymore with Nick gone, but they volunteered one anyway), checked out and headed for a ball at Norman Island and the Bight. Winds were now light and we motor sailed down Sir Francis Drake channel over 4 hours with the wind at our backs. Planned on drinks at the Willie T and dinner at Pirates Bight - where we made a 7:30 reservation (there is a 6 pm and a 7:30 pm seating). The Willie T was jammed with many dingys circling so we skipped it and went directly to Pirates Bight - great drinks and dinner, fun time.

Saturday - The wind was up again overnight and after breakfast the crew wanted to just relax so we skipped snorkeling, read books and then headed for Road Town at 1 pm. Arrived at 3 pm refueled, docked, showered and headed to Bananakeet for sunset drinks and dinner. It was an exciting 20 minute taxi ride over the hills arriving at 5 or so for a 5:50 sunset and s 6 pm dinner reservation. It was cloudy but it is a spectacular view of Jost Van Dyke and out over Tortola and the USVI. Our first visit and the view and dinner were great! The Tuna was excellent. Taxi ride back through Cane Garden Bay - where many homes remain blown out from the hurricane on the main road.

Sunday - We had a 3:54 pm AA flight to Miami and on to San Francisco - everyone’s advice was to get on the 9 am Roadtown Fast Ferry (doesn’t do you any good to wait here, better to wait there - cause things go wrong 😏). So up early and off to the ferry. No problems and a nice smooth ride over to St. Thomas. The crew was grumpy and hungry after customs and immigration so needed a good brunch to keep up their spirits. Luckily I found a great highly rated place two blocks away called Bela Blue with a great menu, bar and brunch - perfect place to relax and spend some time - highly recommend! Stored the luggage at the ferry terminal while we relaxed at brunch - then off to the airport for the 10 hour trip home arriving SFO at midnight or so.

Pretty good trip, crew happy, avoided weather issues by preplanning based on this site - thanks everyone!

BVI Sponsors
Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215091
01/21/2020 07:47 PM
01/21/2020 07:47 PM
Billings, MT
harleybuffett Offline
Traveler
harleybuffett  Offline
Traveler
Billings, MT
Thanks for trip report! We're 115 days out until our next charter and I can't read enough about everyone's travels! I'm so glad you got to see Michael Beans...SO talented! We're going to just miss him by a few days this trip frown

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215095
01/21/2020 08:06 PM
01/21/2020 08:06 PM
Ohio
S
Sedona Offline
Traveler
Sedona  Offline
Traveler
S
Ohio
Great trip report. Your sense of optimism and making the best of bad weather shines through! Glad you had such a good time despite the conditions.

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215109
01/21/2020 11:09 PM
01/21/2020 11:09 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Great report with helpful information, thanks!

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215116
01/22/2020 06:54 AM
01/22/2020 06:54 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Nice report. When flying out of STT, we also take the early ferry . Then assuming ferry not too far behind, we check bags and go to the Petite Pump Room above the ferry. We try to get a table on the balcony and enjoy our last hour or so with a few drinks, food and a view of CA. Then on to STT airport on schedule. (Some food available at STT but only okay and $$$ for what you get. And seats are okay at best)

( I Just sewn in my zipper on my clears a little better as one end was starting to tear.)

Enjoyed your report.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215120
01/22/2020 08:13 AM
01/22/2020 08:13 AM
Chesapeake Bay, USA
N
Nibj Offline
Traveler
Nibj  Offline
Traveler
N
Chesapeake Bay, USA
We like “Hook Line and Sinker” over at CYOA for food and drink. The food is good and the view of the harbor is nice. It is maybe 5min walk from the ferry port (the Apple Maps walking route is a bit mad - follow it at first until you see the restaurant!).

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: Nibj] #215137
01/22/2020 12:41 PM
01/22/2020 12:41 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
C
ChuckYeager Offline OP
Traveler
ChuckYeager  Offline OP
Traveler
C
San Francisco Bay Area
Hook Line & Sinker was actually the other of my two choices Bela Blue turned out to be right next door to it and carries the same Trip Advisor rating of 4.3. We’ll try it next time! Thanks for the reco both are great places to enjoy to avoid a long wait at STT with nothing much to do.

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215208
01/22/2020 09:49 PM
01/22/2020 09:49 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
On our return home we are usually on St Thomas for about 3-4 hours. It is what it is. We’ve eaten at Petite Pump Room (very good) as well as Hook Line and Sinker (always good and no issues). But lately we have been going to Emerald Beach. Food is good. Drinks are cold. Overlooking Lindberg Bay. Short walk to STT. Or a $20 cab ride.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215212
01/22/2020 10:13 PM
01/22/2020 10:13 PM
New Jersey, USA
DanS Offline
Traveler
DanS  Offline
Traveler
New Jersey, USA
Great report -- thanks! Sounds like our kind of trip -- nice and relaxing, not a lot of rushing around.

Dan cheers

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215233
01/23/2020 08:16 AM
01/23/2020 08:16 AM
North Carolina
R
RacerRon Offline
Traveler
RacerRon  Offline
Traveler
R
North Carolina
Thanks for a great report! We were there the week after you, and were much more fortunate with the weather!

[Linked Image]
Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215244
01/23/2020 09:05 AM
01/23/2020 09:05 AM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Thanks so much for taking the time to report....I was worried about you all down there in that heavy weather ...but sounds like you made the best of it and found the hiding places.

So happy Micheal is continuing to entertain with his piracy antics , ARRRRR , and can’t wait for our newbie crew to win the conch blowing contest ....I have a practice one I bought from Joe last year in my bar at home. Hehe

So looking forward to spending time at Leverick , my once home away from home, missing 2 very special family members ...but I will be seeing them in a month in Kenya and will say hi to them and bounce for you all.

Again thank you ...I also have been also appreciating the details about STT arrival and departure as we are doing this for both our April and May trips

Kim

Re: BVI Trip Report - 1/11-1/19/2020 [Re: ChuckYeager] #215252
01/23/2020 10:01 AM
01/23/2020 10:01 AM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
So nice to see yet another great trip report involving BVIYC - we sure do love them!

[Linked Image]