RonDon 90
fabila 48
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (stevel13, sunmantwo, 2 invisible), 580 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report #215264
01/23/2020 11:22 AM
01/23/2020 11:22 AM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline OP
Traveler
Tom  Offline OP
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Trip Report 12/28/2019-01/17/2020
The last couple years we have stayed overnight at the Airport Marriot in Phila. and walked directly through airport security for an early direct flight to SXM. Plane was almost full (AA) and we arrived a half hour early around 2PM. One of the few times we were the only commercial plane arriving. 15 minutes to go through Customs and Immigration then got rental car from Unity (Dutch side).

Stopped at Carrefour for basics and checked into the Belair Beach Hotel, Room 415.
Beach has had some more erosion but was adequate for 1 row of chairs most of the time we were there.

Weather:
More rain and wind this year than any year that we could remember. Some days that meant stones made entering the water difficult. A good reason to have water shoes handy. Only 1 day that I can recall was overcast all day.

Restaurants:
Mark’s Place is always one of our favorites. Had a pretty tough steak on one visit but the ribs are still terrific. In my opinion there is more than enough to eat with a normal order but for those that are big rib fans, the all you can eat $24 is certainly worth it.
Bavaria has become a regular on our list. Authentic German food and excellent service. We usually go early so seating and parking are less of a problem as may occur later in the evening.
Chesterfield’s, an annual choice, was great on one visit with a thumbs up on the lobster one night but 2 orders of lobster the other night were overdone and tough. Hurricane Shrimp still produces a pleasant sting on the palate.
Avantika is popular for itsThai menu that allows you to order your entrée as spicy hot or mild as you like. No complaints here but I always keep the Rolaids handy.
Bistro Carribe was a must for my son and daughter as in past years. They took a cab which is a wise choice with the current uncertainty on the French side. They spent the afternoon at the perfumery creating customized scents and ended the day @ BC.
Skip Jack’s was a first for me but wife and her sister ate there earlier last year and wife insisted that we put them on the list. Lobster nothing less than excellent as was the service and the rest of the food. I have to say the lobster was better than Pineapple Pete’s and Chesterfield’s.
Holland House: We enjoyed a terrific breakfast here. Both service and food was very good

Orient Beach:
Roads to Orient are impossible. Huge potholes and speed bumps that rattle your tooth fillings. Pretty busy the day I was there. Still depressing to see the remains of a once great resort. As others have stated, we all hope that it can someday come back.

Airport:
It’s not yet where we would like to see it but it is better than last year when there were not enough seats for the hoards of travelers and both upstairs and downstairs were chaotic. Now there is adequate seating and although the bussing was like cans of sardines, most of the exiting was OK.

AA flight home:
Probably no more than 125 people on the large plane. One of the most enjoyable flights that I can remember in many years. Empty rows that allowed everyone to spread out and have enough room. One of the flight attendants told me they love it when everyone is in a good mood as opposed to the anger management created by filling every seat. Again we got in early and Customs and Immigration were a snap.

General Comments:
• We chose to sell our timeshare weeks and did so while we were on the island. We have owned at the Belair for almost 30 years and stayed there for 5-6 years before we bought timeshares. We made this decision when the owners decided to make the improvements that their guests and TS owners have requested for decades (air conditioning, plumbing, electrical). Unfortunately the owners chose to increase our maintenance fee by $380 per week to pay for these improvements. We will likely return to SXM but as rental guests.
• Checked out both Beachside Villas and Horny Toad as possible future destinations. Access to BV, through Sunset Beach Bar was a negative but both BV and Toad are genuine possibilities warm, friendly hosts.
• Philipsburg shopping is a bit stressful with the hucksters trying to hustle you but we went on a day when no cruise ships were in so that was at least minimized.
• This started as a “Brief Trip Report” but I erased the “Brief” part.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215269
01/23/2020 11:55 AM
01/23/2020 11:55 AM
Vermont
sxmmartini Offline
Traveler
sxmmartini  Offline
Traveler
Vermont
Thanks for sharing. I like Holland House in Philipsburg for breakfast as well. One time we arrived late and the buffet was close to over for the day. While at the buffet with a disappointed face the server said she would bring out fresh fruit and Eggs Bennie. I thought that was nice and afterwards walked the boardwalk.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215270
01/23/2020 12:02 PM
01/23/2020 12:02 PM
Western MA
S
SandS Offline
Traveler
SandS  Offline
Traveler
S
Western MA
Enjoyed every word. Thank you. Do you think you can rent more economically than your maintenance fee? BSV are more than our maintenance fee. I think they are quite pricey in season for two bedroom. Happy you enjoyed your vacation, 10 more days until we arrive in paradise.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215273
01/23/2020 12:12 PM
01/23/2020 12:12 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report. Mark's Place and Bavaria are both high on my list. We stayed at The Horny Toad for 11 nights back in Nov. and are many time repeat guests at the old version of The Horny Toad. One of my favorites as well.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report [Re: SandS] #215274
01/23/2020 12:13 PM
01/23/2020 12:13 PM
Cape Coral, FL
D
DRich Offline
Traveler
DRich  Offline
Traveler
D
Cape Coral, FL
We always rent in Orient Village. It is usually around $110 a night. I can't even imagine buying something when you can rent that cheap. I'm guessing the Dutch side must be a lot more expensive

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215286
01/23/2020 01:51 PM
01/23/2020 01:51 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Thanks for your nice report. I agree with you and SXMmartini about breakfast on the patio at Holland House (the Ocean Lounge restaurant). The port view from the deck is beautiful as you sit there and eat breakfast with the cruise ships coming in (my wife and I play a little game where we try to name the cruise line before the other one does), and the breakfast buffet is always well stocked and delicious. Plus, if they don't have it they'll make it for you. Although this area gets quiet at night, and the number of nearby restaurants is limited, we enjoy staying at Holland House because it's sort of centrally located. Orient Beach is 25 minutes to the north, Simpson Bay is a half hour west, and the port is right at the doorstep if you want to catch a ferry to a nearby island (like Saba or St. Bart's). And, the staff here has always been nice and very accommodating in past visits. When we made our return trip after Hurricane Irma they were so thankful that we chose this hotel again and tried to remember their names they had a complimentary bottle of champagne sent to our room with a thank you note on our first night back.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215288
01/23/2020 02:05 PM
01/23/2020 02:05 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Tom and Lisa,

Sounds like a good time was had.

Not a decision we were able to make on our own, but we, too, are basically done with time sharing on SXM. The Towers is tied up in lots of wrangling and life is too short to be held captive to their nonsense. And since Mr. Ansari has done this before, we choose NOT to play the game.

I know we’ve had a shared fondness for Antoine’s over the years and I’m wondering if you made it there this trip. We did not make it into P’berg at all in April and I’m curious as to how the new owners are doing. We also didn’t get to see Jean Pierre at his French Touch sidewalk cafe on Old Street and wonder how he’s doing, too.

Again, glad it was a good trip and TY for sharing. And PS - we made the transition from our Towers timeshare to BSV and couldn’t be happier there. Some days we never leave.......great accommodations and a lovely staff who really do go the distance for their guests.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report [Re: pat] #215289
01/23/2020 02:21 PM
01/23/2020 02:21 PM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline OP
Traveler
Tom  Offline OP
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
My Wife and her sister had a fantastic lunch at the French Touch on Old Street in April. We walked by this last trip and he has extended his eating area because there are many stores closed. We have not gone to Antoine's in 2 years.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215292
01/23/2020 02:34 PM
01/23/2020 02:34 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Offline
Traveler
RonDon  Offline
Traveler
Rhode Island
Thanks for the report Tom. Hope you don't miss Belair beach too much. We walked away from Divi but I vowed I'd never go back or I might be sorry I left.

As to SandS asking about prices at other places not being less than MF. We've stayed places last couple of years that were as much as MF or just a little more with none of those added fees you're hit with, like the $50 weekly for energy and being taxed at a higher rate than some other places charge. In your case Tom I think the last quote on your MF was as much as a week stay at a place other than TS TS or renting someone else's TS. Not all TS MF are over $1000.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215302
01/23/2020 03:09 PM
01/23/2020 03:09 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Tom--thanks for the report. With regarding to pricing, both Beachside and Horny Toad are QUITE a bit more expensive during season. We almost never travel during high season, so it's not a consideration for us.

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215306
01/23/2020 03:15 PM
01/23/2020 03:15 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
Thanks for the nice report. I'm sure your decision to walk away from Belair after so many years was bittersweet. I know if I walked away from Divi, it would be a bittersweet decision; fortunately, I don't yet have a reason to do so.

Glad you checked out Horny Toad. It's where I stay when I am on island at other than my timeshare time. I do love it there although I miss not having a pool. But I love the location and not having to traverse the road to BSV.

Thanks again for the report.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215343
01/23/2020 07:54 PM
01/23/2020 07:54 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Mark's ribs are good. I always buy the regular order and if I want more they just roll it over to all you can eat and charge according. Nice option.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215373
01/24/2020 04:53 AM
01/24/2020 04:53 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Offline
Traveler
Colour1  Offline
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
Thank you for sharing your trip report. On the note about places to stay with in reason. We have stayed so many different places over the 20 years on SXM. IMHO. It's about what kind of vacation you want. Do you want quiet laid back Caribbean feel? do you want to be near as many restaurants as you can. Have more night life??? So for us, when we come down in April, we stay at Bruno's Paradise Bungalows in the Orient beach area. His rates are very reasonable year-around! We love that French infused vibe. Then some 10 years ago, we found Beachside Villa's. We became family from day one and still family now that the second generation is at the helm!! IMHO. If you are traveling to any of the Caribbean islands during high season, you have to except those higher rates. I believe that Tracy Mascarin does a great job accommodating everyone's needs with there 2 and 3 bedrooms villa's on the beach. No water slippers needs ever!!

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Re: Trip Report [Re: pat] #215385
01/24/2020 08:20 AM
01/24/2020 08:20 AM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline OP
Traveler
Tom  Offline OP
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Pat,
Thank you for your kind response. We have only been to Antoine's a couple times since it changed hands. Same menu as before but we felt the food and service were a bit less than when Jean Pierre owned it. Yes, we stopped by to see him one day while we were in Philipsburg. He seems to be doing fine. He was expanding his service into the open area outside his cafe by setting up more tables. Not much else operational on Old Street but they did restore the yellow car and it looks pretty good.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Carol_Hill] #215387
01/24/2020 08:39 AM
01/24/2020 08:39 AM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline OP
Traveler
Tom  Offline OP
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Carol,
Price is surely a consideration but our advantages of being able to go whenever we want and the total value we get is our goal. I am sure we will miss the personnel at the Belair, but the recent decisions made by the NYC ownership of the Belair are unacceptable. They claim that the increase of maintenance fee to $1710 is temporary while also claiming that the renovation will take 4-5 years.

Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215389
01/24/2020 08:48 AM
01/24/2020 08:48 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Tom, Wow, that is a pretty steep M/F, up there around Diamond Resort fees. Anything "temporary" never seems to stay that way.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report [Re: Tom] #215391
01/24/2020 09:27 AM
01/24/2020 09:27 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Tom--you're preaching to the choir there, with regard to being able to stay wherever you want. I actually never did GET the timeshare thing.

Carol Hill