Member Spotlight
pat
pat
Brookfield, CT.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (timnboston, UncleLuff, eightzerobits, MKGrey, caribbeangirl13, charlie, Travel Talker, Manpot, deliveryskipper, WWII, diver67, StMartinFan, steve74, Kathleen, RickinAtlanta, Memphré, nevar37, KirkB, SacoFrank, MrEZgoin, Alltech63, cabokid, VirginGordaResident, ColoBoater, pony600, BillDauterive, SoakInSaltwater, foreversxm, Bigdaddy, tmsxmsails, 9 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S/V ORION Part 4 #137859
08/14/2017 10:17 AM
08/14/2017 10:17 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
BVI July 31 - August 9, 2017 (Part 4)

0515hr.....WHY can I not shake this habit. All I ask for is 0600! Like a character in that movie 50 First Dates.... each day, same routine, I would ease out of the bunk, watch my head entering the head, boil water for coffee, sit at the helm with coffee, and thank the big guy for allowing me to be here! It's soooo quiet at this time of the morning, if you're not an early riser I recommend you try it at least once on your next trip, it's incredibly peaceful at 0-dark early. Our daughter likes to sleep in a bit, but several times on this trip she would walk up to the trampoline rubbing her eyes, say "morning", rub her eyes some more saying "nice" and then "see you in a while".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did notice that the cat that had troubles the night before had eventually put 2 lines on the mooring ball, hope they were able to correct the halyard issue. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast while spotting turtles surfacing, cool. Then off the ball heading towards Prickly Pear for some beach time. On our way I couldn't help but notice again how incredibly green everything was.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once at the mooring field we found all of the pennants were missing? oh well, down anchor. There would only be 2 other boats while we were there. The restaurants sign said OPEN and I was excited to have some fries, but a worker said the power was out since the day before so no service of any kind...dangIT! Oh well, felt a little early for beer anyways.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Swam and walked a bit then decided to have lunch in Eustatia Sound. I asked my daughter if they wanted me to get close to Necker Island for a look see and she said yes, my wife then asked me to "pleeease don't be a creeper"...so I followed orders and didn't get that close. Always lots of kite boarding around that island. The approach into the sound is fairly tight, so we carefully checked our charts and had crew on the bow to stand watch. A boat was already anchored in THE perfect spot, so I chose another in 20 feet of water before setting the anchor in the very visible bottom. The crew quickly jumped into the turquoise water to snorkel, later bringing back tales of rays, turtles, squid and I believe a small lemon shark. I relaxed onboard, just soaking up the sunshine and admiring the incredible colors that surrounded us.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As I began to morph into "bubble boy" I jumped in and lazily swam around Orion. There was a bit of a current and I commented that if we started to drag anchor we would be in the shallows in short time, but we were 5:1 and the anchor was deeply nestled in the sandy bottom. As I mentioned, our itinerary was loose, so over lunch we discussed our afternoon plans. We could stay put and overnight in the solitude of Eustatia Sound or we could try something different. My wife said "you'll wake up every couple hours to check on the anchor if we stay here?" probably so, but it is beautiful here. Luckily with wifi technology I sent Nick an email to see if there was room at the inn. He quickly responded with "come on in Rick!" Our decision was made. I think it was around 1600hr when we retrieved the anchor and departed the sound of many colors.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I chose a spot at the head of the T-dock just in case we wanted a quick departure in the morning. Actually it would be less stressful with the strong winds we had this day, man needs to recognize his limitations! Leverick staff Ian and Kyle were very helpful and pleasant upon arrival. Once the bow line was secure by Kyle it was almost full back on port to throw the stern line to Ian, then almost full forward on port... "slow is pro" but the wind was kick'in! It felt good to be at Leverick. All systems set to shore power, check! BEER ME!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just after arrival I see a very tall distinguished looking lad heading down the docks, HEY NICK! Hugs for everyone! He gave me a quick low down on the exciting new improvements they're making at Leverick, it's going to be awesome! then back to work for him. The crew all went their separate ways once in this playground, Donna went for a jog, Sydney and Craig walked in search of a frozen drink and a hammock I think. I spent time at the dock talking with a very nice Moorings Captain. We watched another Moorings Captain dock a 4600 cat on the adjacent dock next to this captain's cat, he was very aggressive with the engines, port, starboard, port, starboard keeping his nose just off the strong wind, it was a fine dance between man and machine. I paid close attention to the tips offered by this man, I am only on a cat a couple times a year and appreciated his knowledge and time. Off I went to stretch my legs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I checked out the store hours and walked to the office to say hey to Monzie, great smile! Grabbed a few tokens to do a load of towels, nothing better than clean towels on a boat! Donna returned from her run and we went looking for the youngins. We found them bellied up to the beautiful upstairs bar, drinks anyone?! The bartender was super nice and she makes a great dark and stormy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After a couple drinks we returned to ORION for dinner. On the dock I noticed a banner on a cat that said "Just Married", cool. As I cooked dinner I noticed a man in a tuxedo t-shirt and asked him about the wedding, he said he wasn't part of that group and that his group was simply having a "dress up night". 2 of his crew win the prize for....best dressed or worst dressed, you decide! (see photo). We spoke with a woman who was all spruced up and she said they were celebrating their 25th, US TOO!! People on boats can be the happiest and nicest people!

[Linked Image]

The bartender told us they would be closing at 2100hr, so after dinner we beat feet back up there to grab some key lime pie, yum! What a great finish to a great day!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To be continued...Cheers!

Last edited by BEERMAN; 01/26/2020 09:53 AM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #137860
08/14/2017 11:28 AM
08/14/2017 11:28 AM
bkigar Offline
Traveler
bkigar  Offline
Traveler
We have tried the Sand Box three different times over the years - including our most recent trip this past May - and have never found them to be open.

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: bkigar] #137861
08/14/2017 12:57 PM
08/14/2017 12:57 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
bkigar said:
We have tried the Sand Box three different times over the years - including our most recent trip this past May - and have never found them to be open.

Yes, it's been hit or miss for us too. Nice place for a beach day even when they're not open! Pic from a couple years ago, they were open and fries were great!

[Linked Image]

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #137862
08/14/2017 05:11 PM
08/14/2017 05:11 PM
MARYLAND
Crown31 Offline
Traveler
Crown31  Offline
Traveler
MARYLAND
So, what night were you at Leverick? We were their Thursday the 3rd and you're describing the same crowd. Blowing pretty hard as I recall.

Brian
Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: Crown31] #137863
08/14/2017 05:23 PM
08/14/2017 05:23 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Crown31 said:
So, what night were you at Leverick? We were their Thursday the 3rd and you're describing the same crowd. Blowing pretty hard as I recall.

We were there Thursday night 3rd. What boat were you on?

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #137864
08/14/2017 06:06 PM
08/14/2017 06:06 PM
MARYLAND
Crown31 Offline
Traveler
Crown31  Offline
Traveler
MARYLAND
Molasses, Moorings 4000, about half way back in the mooring field. It was our second night. If I remember, seemed the dock was partying pretty good that night from what we thought was a wedding party (but hard to tell with all the wind).

Was in the Bight for the 17 inches of rain. What a night! Waiting to hear your perspective.

Brian
Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #215582
01/26/2020 10:07 AM
01/26/2020 10:07 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Eric, it works!! To anyone reading, we are attempting to restore lost images in some of my reports, starting with ORION.

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #215603
01/26/2020 02:25 PM
01/26/2020 02:25 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Neat!!! Would love to resurrect some of my old ones ...really missing the old pre Irma days lately

Kim

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: Sandsailsun] #215631
01/26/2020 07:56 PM
01/26/2020 07:56 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Hey Kim, did you use photobucket also? if you scroll up about 5 comments you'll see what they've done to a lot of my pics on TTOL, unfortunate.

When we return this summer we will only have our pre Irma memories... we're curious about what we will see. Back in the day I travelled to St John a couple months after Hurricane Hugo, still have memories of what STT and St John looked like then. More than happy to finally be returning to see the resilience of the community.

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #215640
01/26/2020 09:20 PM
01/26/2020 09:20 PM
Va Beach
Kmon Offline
Traveler
Kmon  Offline
Traveler
Va Beach
Great pics and story! BTW..............Go Hokies!!!!!

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: BEERMAN] #215645
01/26/2020 10:51 PM
01/26/2020 10:51 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Great revisit Rick.

Would love a comparison btwn Lagoon and Leopards. French v S African.
I much prefer the R&Cs, but wonder what you recall. All the best!

Re: S/V ORION Part 4 [Re: jphart] #215665
01/27/2020 09:04 AM
01/27/2020 09:04 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline OP
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline OP
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Originally Posted by jphart
Great revisit Rick.

Would love a comparison btwn Lagoon and Leopards. French v S African.
I much prefer the R&Cs, but wonder what you recall. All the best!

Hey JP! it's hard for me to compare since the Leopards we chartered were much older compared to the Lagoons we've been on most recently. The older Leopards (3900, 4300, 4600), which we enjoyed very much, had tighter galleys, less head room in spots and with the louvered front windows felt a little closed in I guess. The newer Leopards I've seen have changed, very nice salons, big windows etc, set up nicely for charters. I do like the body design of the Leopards, sailed great! As far as the helm on port or starboard, 6 of one half dozen the other. Lagoons? they feel very open and spacious inside and out.