|
|
|
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,010
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 2,734
Joined: March 2008
|
|
|
14 members (lhbsurf, marksxm, Montrealer2, Rumlover, rpotter28, S/Y Mockingbird, snuba, uscg1959, amsterdam360, 5 invisible),
372
guests, and
69
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958 Likes: 9
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958 Likes: 9 |
On the passage from Anegada to JVD today, I thought I saw a breaching splash and a short time later flukes in the vicinity of Sandy Cay. It was some distance away, so I am still not entirely sure of what I saw. Anyone want to weigh in on the plausibility of a humpback sighting in that location this time of year? There were other boats closer, so others would have surely seen it too.
M4200 MANTA
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 30
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 30 |
We saw a calf and mother last year in February a little further east off the north shore of Tortola near Rough Point.
Last edited by Philggct; 01/26/2020 06:21 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
This is the time of year to see them. G
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003 |
Yes, it most probably was a Humpback, I’ve seen them many times between Scrub and Anegada it part of their migration route
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040 |
I'm not a marine biologist but I would go with mermaid based on the description of the tail.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 925
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 925 |
Saw a Calf and a Cow south of Compass Point St. Thomas a few years ago about this time of year. What a way to spend an afternoon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003 |
Saw a Calf and a Cow south of Compass Point St. Thomas a few years ago about this time of year. What a way to spend an afternoon.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|