Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,949
Posts342,004
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
dkupersmith
dkupersmith
Collingswood, NJ
Posts: 250
Joined: February 2003
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
4 members (ggffrr11, MrEZgoin, 2 invisible), 336 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958
Likes: 9
On the passage from Anegada to JVD today, I thought I saw a breaching splash and a short time later flukes in the vicinity of Sandy Cay. It was some distance away, so I am still not entirely sure of what I saw. Anyone want to weigh in on the plausibility of a humpback sighting in that location this time of year? There were other boats closer, so others would have surely seen it too.


M4200 MANTA
BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 30
P
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
P
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 30
We saw a calf and mother last year in February a little further east off the north shore of Tortola near Rough Point.

Last edited by Philggct; 01/26/2020 06:21 PM.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
This is the time of year to see them.
G

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
S
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
Yes, it most probably was a Humpback, I’ve seen them many times between Scrub and Anegada it part of their migration route

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040
N
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
N
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,040
I'm not a marine biologist but I would go with mermaid based on the description of the tail.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 925
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 925
Saw a Calf and a Cow south of Compass Point St. Thomas a few years ago about this time of year. What a way to spend an afternoon.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
S
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,003
Originally Posted by rhans
Saw a Calf and a Cow south of Compass Point St. Thomas a few years ago about this time of year. What a way to spend an afternoon.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5