pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (RonDon, anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, snman31, sailingbob, camview, WWII, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, luvtotravel, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, 6 invisible), 987 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France #216441
02/02/2020 04:05 PM
02/02/2020 04:05 PM
Rhode Island
RonDon Online content OP
Traveler
RonDon  Online Content OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
We have Verizon and I've heard about their $10 per day rate. High in my opinion so I'm wondering about another way for emergency use. Can we buy a pay as you go phone when we arrive or get some sort of phone here in USA that will work overseas?

I have to add that I just got my first "smart" phone and I'm not electronics savvy.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsors
Re: using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France [Re: RonDon] #216468
02/03/2020 05:21 AM
02/03/2020 05:21 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
A good option for all over Europe is the Orange Holiday SIM card. You can buy them direct from Orange when you get to Europe or you can get them in the U.S. through this website... https://orange.simoptions.com/ You can get cheap unlocked phones all over Europe but I'm sure someone will direct you to a shop in Rhode Island where you can get a suitable phone before you leave.

Re: using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France [Re: RonDon] #216531
02/03/2020 06:58 PM
02/03/2020 06:58 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
RonDon,

I am an AT&T user, so I cannot speak to Verizon’s plan, but AT&Ts plan sound very similar and the price is the same - $10 day. In the AT&T plan it is only activated if you use your phone to call. It is $0 until you call someone and that starts a 24 hour clock for unlimited calls and text from that minute.

When we travel, we put the phone in airplane mode and turn WiFi on. We rely on WhatsApp to chat with our children and any work matters that may arise. In Europe it is very easy to find free Wifi to check calls or text messages. However, if you NEED a phone you NEED a phone.

For example: on our recent trip to France, I was pick-pocketed while getting on a train. We jumped off at the first stop (Monaco) and I turned off airplane mode. I called the head teller at my local bank who shutdown my accounts immediately. The crooks had already pulled $3000 off my card within 20 minutes. Best $10 I ever spent to turn on my phone.

Off topic: Highly recommend you know your local bank’s number, and the number of someone who can shut off your account. I did call the fraud line as directed by the emails I received 45 minutes after the event. I spent almost an hour on the phone talking to computers, pushing 1 for yes and 2 for no. Finally got a human being who said your bank has already turned off my account.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are iPhone users you can use facetime to communicate with family and friends. It works off WiFi. My wife is an apple user so that is how we keep up with the most important thing… our grandchildren.

The Netherlands is one of my favorite places in the world!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France [Re: RonDon] #216841
02/06/2020 04:56 PM
02/06/2020 04:56 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Basic 3G T-Mobile is free, includes texting.
WiFi is nearly everywhere, so use WiFi where available for best results

JPH
I spent my money on booze, broads, and boats...the rest I wasted.
Re: using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France [Re: RonDon] #216872
02/07/2020 08:40 AM
02/07/2020 08:40 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Online content OP
Traveler
RonDon  Online Content OP
Traveler
Rhode Island
Thanks everyone for all this info. We're not concerned to contacting people back home unless a problem arises. We just wanted to be able to make a call in an emergency.

I've read TomB's blog about the river cruise and found it very informative, thanks Tom. Sorry to hear about the pick pocket incident but glad you posted about it because hubby thinks I'm being overly concerned about things on this trip. I bought him pants, shorts, with zipper pockets and he doesn't want to wear them.

Re: using phone in Amsterdam, Germany, France [Re: RonDon] #216877
02/07/2020 09:39 AM
02/07/2020 09:39 AM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
HaHa laugh laugh laugh

Leaving for Italy in April.... My sweetie made me get pants with zippers also.
Great minds must think alike!
A friend told me about a necklace like wallet that carry a couple credit cards. Out of sight out of mind.... May have to check it out. wink wink

The pick pocket episode was on our last France trip Côte d'Azur on Day 4, if someone else goes looking for it.

BTW - you will see these signs in Amsterdam. I never paid attention to them when I was travelling there for work, but I think I may now. Loosely translated,
Be careful while you are shopping, so are they

Attached Files Pick Pocket.jpg
Last edited by TomB; 02/07/2020 09:47 AM.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés

Moderated by  Eric_Hill