pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, jazzgal, ohstate, 8 invisible), 961 guests, and 67 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report 2/8-2/16 #218595
02/24/2020 11:15 AM
02/24/2020 11:15 AM
T
trespalmas Offline OP
Traveler
trespalmas  Offline OP
Traveler
T
We returned last week from another outstanding trip. My wife and I have been many times. This year we had all newbies to the BVI (one couple sailed with us in the Grenadines a few years back). We had 6 couples aboard a brand new 52' Lagoon- Malcoha (engines only had 160 hours on them) with Dream Yacht Charters.

We flew into St. Thomas on 2/8 and chartered a 9 seater and 5 seater to EIS with Island Birds. We have used several charter outfits over the years and Island Birds is by far the most punctual, organized, and efficient carrier we have used.

We provisioned with Tico's and Caribbean Cellars. We had a van from Bobby's pick up 3 of the crew at EIS, take them to Roadtown to grocery shop and then bring them back to the Scrub Island ferry dock.

2/9. We made the 2 minute trip and grabbed a ball at Marina Cay. Right after we moored, I witnessed my first man overboard. A 38' monohull bareboat charter with a man and woman were attempting to grab a ball in front of us. The woman dropped the boat hook in the water, and the man proceeded to jump in after it. Little did he know there was a 2-3 knot current so he was unable to get back to his boat. His wife was not comfortable or confident operating the boat and nearly ended up on the reef and crossed in front of another cat attempting to hook up to a ball on 3 different occasions. She somehow also managed to flip the dinghy they were towing, with the motor attached, so that was floating upside down. We sent out a dinghy to help, but the man was able to swim to a boat that was mooored. Thankfully a crew off a large sailing yacht was going by in a dinghy and rescued the woman/took control of the boat. He helped them moor, flip the dinghy, etc... It was quite the excitement for ~15 minutes. We snorkeled Diamond Reef, which was outstanding and went to Trellis for the Full moon party. Trellis is still trying to come back from its pre-Irma days but there were a lot of people having fun at the full moon party.

2/10. Sailed to Anegada. Rented a truck with benches in the back from Dean. Snorkeled at Flash of Beauty and had the best conch fritters and Roti's of the trip there. Visited Anegada Beach Club to watch the kite surfers and finished the afternoon at Cow Wreck. Had an awesome dinner at Wonky Dog. Due to some high winds the day before Peter's temporary roof was ruined upstairs on the deck so we ate downstairs. Little did we know Anegada was having the "half moon party" that night so the Lobster Trap and Potter's were quite the dance parties!

2/11. Sailed to Leverick. Nature Tour on Necker was cancelled with Gumption due to high swells. Had lunch at Hog Heaven and enjoyed Michael Beans show. Was surprised how few tables were reserved for the show compared to past years. Lots of boats in the area, just not a lot of folks at his show.

2/12. Sailed to Great Harbor, JVD. Heard a very panicked May Day call come through. A woman was single handed sailing and her mast broke. It crushed her steering and disabled her engine. There were 2 vessels that were in visual sight of her that were assisting. The USCG said they would be on scene in 20 minutes. Not sure how it turned out, but hope it was a positive outcome for all involved. We dinghied to White Bay and enjoyed Soggy Dollar and Hendo's. We pre-booked massages for the women on the floating massage boat (Ocean Spa). They all loved it. Had a drink at Ivan's before heading back to Great Harbor. Not sure I've ever seen White Bay with more boats packed in.

2/13. Went to Foxy's mid morning and headed to Cane Garden Bay. Snorkeled the reef and the sunken barge- both were surprisingly good. Toured the Callwood Rum Distillery. Was shocked at how much they have cleaned up around there. Tour buses for cruise ship passengers can now drive down that road. They set up a hut outside where they sell products and offer samples. They now offer "tours" as well instead of just the samplings. Watched Quito play acoustic for happy hour and had a great variety of appetizers, food and happy hour drinks. Ended the night with a dance party at Paradise Club.

2/14. Sailed down to the Indians. Fantastic snorkeling. Moored in the Bight. Snorkeled the caves, Treasure Point, and Kelly's Cove- all were excellent. Enjoyed the Willy-T and had quite the squall/lighting storm blow through while we were there (nothing like sitting on a metal boat watching!).

2/15. Sailed to the Baths. There was a National Park boat that was patrolling the waters the entire time we were there. Sailed to Marina Cay to re-fuel since the man operating the fuel station is not reliable (did not want to be stuck waiting for him on Sunday morning). They had diesel, but no gas for the dinghy cans (DYC understood). Sailed to Cooper. Cistern Point for snorkeling- that never disappoints, however, the current was pretty intense. Saw some huge turtles and rays below the boat, eating the sea grass. Great happy hour drinks at the Beach Club. A very large ferry pulled up and dropped off a large group of locals for a Trefle fashion show. The rum bar was closed for the private party for 1 hour, and after that we were able to enjoy the DJ and watch the fashion show for a bit. The outfits were beautiful and awesome! Make sure you tie the mooring pennant line directly to a cleat and run another line through the mooring ball eye, otherwise you will have the ball bang on your hull all night long!

2/16. Sailed back to Scrub. Had the DYC workers dock the boat for us. There was less than 1 foot of play at the bow/stern in the area we docked (in front of another cat and adjacent to a finger on the pier in front of us). It was unbelievable watching the man work the boat and the 5 workers on the pier guide it in. There was a gallery of 20+ people that stopped what they were doing to watch and cheer. Had lunch at Trellis and then 2 Island Birds planes to San Juan for the flight home.

Great weather (with the usual squall every now and then), nice winds, and seas that didn't get any bigger than 6-8' with an occasional 9-10'.

Last edited by trespalmas; 02/24/2020 04:18 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: trespalmas] #218612
02/24/2020 12:46 PM
02/24/2020 12:46 PM
London, England
S
sunman60 Offline
Traveler
sunman60  Offline
Traveler
S
London, England
hi there, nice report thank you; what's the deal snorkelling at the Indians please? guide books say there's mooring balls but I've never seen any; looking for tips on how and where to moor & where the best snorkelling is, thanks.

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: sunman60] #218617
02/24/2020 01:41 PM
02/24/2020 01:41 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
Originally Posted by sunman60
hi there, nice report thank you; what's the deal snorkelling at the Indians please? guide books say there's mooring balls but I've never seen any; looking for tips on how and where to moor & where the best snorkelling is, thanks.

There are quite a few Balls at The Indians for snorkeling - often crowded full, --not sure if they have a dinghy line available for snorkelers.

Do they allow women at the Callwood Rum Distillery Now??

Last edited by LocalSailor; 02/24/2020 01:49 PM.
Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: trespalmas] #218619
02/24/2020 02:13 PM
02/24/2020 02:13 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
There is a dinghy line...I strongly encourage using colored noodles (for visibility and floatation) there and dropping off snorkelers at dinghy line...

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: LocalSailor] #218620
02/24/2020 02:16 PM
02/24/2020 02:16 PM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Offline
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Offline
Traveler
Redmond, WA
They are red park system balls, there are probably about 7 of them. You're supposed to stay 90 minutes max.

There is also a dinghy line close into the rocks.

We sometimes just dinghy over from the Bight or Kelly's Cove if conditions allow.

Best snorkeling is right around the rocks... There's a neat little swim-through east of the dinghy line for adventurous snorkelers.

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: LocalSailor] #218633
02/24/2020 04:21 PM
02/24/2020 04:21 PM
T
trespalmas Offline OP
Traveler
trespalmas  Offline OP
Traveler
T
Originally Posted by LocalSailor
Originally Posted by sunman60

There are quite a few Balls at The Indians for snorkeling - often crowded full, --not sure if they have a dinghy line available for snorkelers.

Do they allow women at the Callwood Rum Distillery Now??

We had 6 women at Callwood Rum Distillery.... I never knew they weren't welcome. Please share more!

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: trespalmas] #218634
02/24/2020 04:30 PM
02/24/2020 04:30 PM
Ohio
jagmansr Online content
Traveler
jagmansr  Online Content
Traveler
Ohio
We have been visiting Callwood Rum Distillery at least once a year for over 7 years and have NEVER had any issues regarding the woman in our group. They have always been offered samples as well. Have no idea what "local sailor" is talking about.

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: trespalmas] #218717
02/25/2020 12:32 PM
02/25/2020 12:32 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
I guess I am just a very old timer asking about the hand painted "No Woman" sign that was at Callwoods way back -- You were even expected to bring an empty bottle - and that rum was some raw 'white lightening' style back then too.
Probably I have not been down West that far to the distillery in CGB since 1979, it was very overgrown back then, open on an irregular timeframe and hardly a tourist attraction.
Yes I know the BVI has changed - some good.

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: LocalSailor] #218726
02/25/2020 12:50 PM
02/25/2020 12:50 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Online crying
Traveler
Manpot  Online Crying
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
I believe that a woman's appearance in the distillery would ruin the boiling of the rum..literally an "old wives tale". I believe that sign was still there til the mid 80's..

Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: trespalmas] #218753
02/25/2020 05:33 PM
02/25/2020 05:33 PM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline
Traveler
toast  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
Diamond reef is probably the nicest flora reef I have ever snorkeled and it is not mentioned often. THANKS for adding to my DIF..

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Re: Trip Report 2/8-2/16 [Re: toast] #218754
02/25/2020 06:01 PM
02/25/2020 06:01 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report!!