pat 42
jazzgal 40
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (WWII, Matagorda Dude, bostonbob, mscottc, lcote, bkigar, RickBlaine, IWIWSE, tradewinds, BlueMoc, ChiTownHarry, marybeth, MrEZgoin, WLE, Whale Tail, sxmpete, o2bnsxm, charlie, OllieEh, Time Will Tell, eightzerobits, StMartinFan, cbf, Uksimonusa, ericlut, Rbailey, cbinparadise, ColoBoater, pburke40, polaris, sunmantwo, Kevin_B, 15 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 55 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kneafsey Trip report Bahamas charter based Exumas #21901
08/15/2013 10:09 AM
08/15/2013 10:09 AM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline OP
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline OP
Traveler
Somewhere out there
For planning in the Bahamas the Explorer Charts and guide are the only good option. Island Girl has the Explorer charts aboard, but not the matching guide. I left another guide book aboard, but it isn't as good as the Explorer guide. Explorer Charts

Here are a few rambling thoughts in no particular order.

A week really isn't enough time as you do have to cover some territory. Like everywhere else you can't do it all in a week and you have to come back.

I did think some of the tourist items were over rated: The swimming pigs was a bit nasty, but unusual enough to see, but don't invest much time there.

Thunderball Grotto was cool to snorkel, but you must do it at Slack Low Tide or current will be too strong. At high tide you have to swim under to get into the grotto. We watched Thunderball the other night and most scenes were done around Nassau and really had a hard time finding the grotto in the movie.

I thought Staniel Cay was a bit overrated, but you can get water there. But it isn't always quick. There is a fuel dock and a T-head, generally the T-head is the only open option. There is a nice dinner available there, but allow for A LOT of time! The bar menu is faster.

Little Farmer's Cay was the hub of bar life and dinner ashore. There are 3 options: Ocean Cabin, the Yacht Club and Ty's Sunset Bar at the end of the runway. All have free internet. All have their own personality. Terry at Ocean Cabin is a great source for local knowledge.

The Chat N Chill across from Georgetown was a great place to just hang out your first night. They do a nice inexpensive burger $6. The staff leaves EXACTLY at 7pm.

Great Conch Salad there also, A.J. that was running the conch bar has left for a while and his mother might be taking over.

We had a great time on Long Island, great beach at Cape Santa Maria. Dean's Blue Hole was a cool item to see. We did snorkel 3 other Blue Holes in the Exumas.

We didn't find a lot of snorkeling in the Exumas, but what we did find was extremely health compared to other areas of the Caribbean. The water is extremely clear, but you have to watch the tides/currents for when you swim.

We found a lot of really cool spots to explore, but I don't talk about those places in a public forum.

There are NO groceries outside of Georgetown, except beer and rum. Don't plan on buying ice anywhere either, except Georgetown and Staniel Cay. The groceries were not as expensive as we were lead to believe. Rum is certainly cheap.

We found the people to be much friendlier than any place we have been in a long time. I think that is a result of not being over run with tourists.

You will anchor everywhere and tide and current will have an effect so pay attention to 180 swings, although usually just 90 degree swings as wind will have its effect also.

We ran into another charter boat and they had 12 people aboard and were pretty desperate to find perishable groceries and pretty much out of luck. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

VHF 72 at 8am is your source of local happenings while in Georgetown area.

Sponsors
Re: Kneafsey Trip report Bahamas charter based Exumas [Re: kneafseym] #21902
08/15/2013 10:20 AM
08/15/2013 10:20 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi. I made this it's own thread, so it didn't get lost within the other thread.

Carol Hill