Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Tonythepilot, tradewinds, eightzerobits, sugarae, eilandmens, Kiles41, Travel Talker, Cap’n Rog, SXMScubaman, CaribbeanCanadians, sxm2001, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, jrw, RickinAtlanta, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, 12 invisible), 965 guests, and 58 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
beachfront/view accomodations at OB #220523
03/13/2020 11:12 AM
03/13/2020 11:12 AM
Nc Usa
T
Tarheelblue Offline OP
Tarheelblue  Offline OP
T
Nc Usa
Looking for accommodation recommendation in Orient Bay area where we can be on/as close to the beach as possible.

First time visitor to the island. Me, wife and two teenage sons. We chose Saint Martin/Sint Maarten as we like the idea of being able to have lots of options for beaches and a different feel all within one island.
Planning to have ar and go all over, but plan to stay on the French side as the kids have been to France with us and loved it (especially the food!) and love the look of Orient Bay. GC sounds nice too but I think with the kids OB may be better fit. Pinel Island across the way for snorkeling, the sandy beach, couple beach bars and bistros and bakery within the little “village.’ And we can speak some French which is a bonus. OB checks a lot of boxes for me. Last minute trip, so I can’t be too picky with accommodations and probably have to overpay a bit)…..but that’s what I wanted to ask about…

I would like to stay on the beachfront or directly across from the shore. We usually go more the AIRBNB route for villas and condos or small cottage, but smaller family run hotels and resorts are cool too. We aren’t into big resorts. I don’t really see a lot of option on Orient Bay where you can go out your back door and be on the beach. I see 2 hotels/resorts (Playa and Esmeralda) on the sand, but everything else seems to be a few blocks back up off the shore in village, or some lovely villas in the hills. Am I missing something? Is that partly due to Irma? Have places just not reopened? Or is that just how it is that there is limited choice right along the beach?

If we stay back up off the beach or if I can find a place with a view up in the hills (Jardin d’Orient) that I can afford…is it walkable to the beach? Not worried so much about traffic, but hilly I mean? Is it at all bike-able there? Or do most people just end up driving and parking to visit Baie Orient? I really don’t want to have to get in the car to come down to the shore if possible. Are there other shorefront options that maybe aren’t right in Orient Bay but are close enough that we could still walk or bike to village in evening (like up towards Cul-de-sac?)? Or for morning coffee? Are there any other areas that are maybe less than 10 minute drive to orient Bay that might have more options on water? Any rental agencies or options people can recommend?

Also speaking of water…..my trip is month out….but I have read about periodic water issues there. Both pressure (not a big deal) and availability (slightly bigger deal maybe though on vacation showers are not the first concern for me). Is that construction related and maybe on the way to being fixed? Or is that a constant issue there?

Similar question with internet I read several reports of very spotty internet. Maybe that was due to wifi wherever these folks were staying, but curious if internet is an issue generally speaking there. Assume cell service is limited? Doesn’t matter to me, but a bit more for the kids, especially in evenings

Any insight appreciated. Merci,

Brendan
Davidson NC USA

SXM Sponsors
Re: beachfront/view accomodations at OB [Re: Tarheelblue] #220525
03/13/2020 11:31 AM
03/13/2020 11:31 AM
US
J
jborosara Offline
Traveler
jborosara  Offline
Traveler
J
US
First things

get with Magali Bertho of Island Escapes - I can highly recommend her as a landlord and her properties as top notch and affordable - we recently stayed in Seaside #8 and LOVED it - two bedroom apartment - literally across the street from the beach and with ready access to a pool in the courtyard. We rented a car from Nono (another local) but rarely used it as pretty much everything we needed or even wanted was there in the village

now about the water - it was off and on the last half of our recent vacation - a few days they had scheduled 'on time' and that made things much easier - we adapted and still had a lovely vacation... there were a few days that it was out completely and that was a pain - having said all of that - Magali was awesome - she kept us informed and offered help - we kept all of our plastic water bottles and just filled them up anytime the water came on so that we'd have water to flush toilet - and when that ran out, there was a big pool just steps from the apartment

internet worked great - we streamed regularly - also used wifi based phone which was fine too

Re: beachfront/view accomodations at OB [Re: Tarheelblue] #220537
03/13/2020 12:43 PM
03/13/2020 12:43 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
There are a couple of hotels that haven't reopened after Irma, yes. There are a ton of condos in Orient Village area that are just a block or two from the beach, good walking distance. Suggest you find an agent and get some recommendations for those.

As far as Jardin d Orient--definitely NOT walkable to the beach. It's actually a pretty fair distance to the beach and UPHILL. As far as bikes, no, I wouldn't do it. People drive VERY fast, the roads are not very smooth, etc.

Regarding internet, there should be a good connection, depending on where you're staying. Be advised that VERY few places in the Orient Village area have US TV, only French TV.

Regarding water, hopefully that situation has been resolved, but I haven't really heard much about it lately.

Carol Hill
Re: beachfront/view accomodations at OB [Re: Tarheelblue] #220550
03/13/2020 02:35 PM
03/13/2020 02:35 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
We stayed at Palm Court last week, and it was very nice. The water issues were annoying the first three days there, but have been fixed and we had full running water and toilet use on our last two days. Palm Court has a great location one block from Orient Beach, and provides free beach chairs and an umbrella at Bikini Beach for their guests. The satellite TV did carry a number of U.S. stations, but reception was sometimes spotty. If you don't have an electric power adapter, they can provide one if you ask.

But, the place that looked very impressive and right on the beach is La Playa. We walked over from Palm Court and took a quick tour, and we liked the location here even better. A path connects you right to Orient Beach, and beach chairs/umbrella are also provided for hotel guests. The bar/restaurant is open, and a tent has been erected to have breakfast right on the beach. La Playa is going to be as close to the beach as possible, so you might want to ask for a room with a beach view. There are no hotels or properties on Orient Beach where you can open up a sliding door and simply walk onto the beach that I am aware of.

Both hotels do not involve any type of uphill walking, and both are adjacent to Orient Village and the impressive group of restaurants located there (Sao, Le Piment, Le Telegraphe, etc.).

As for getting to Cul-de-Sac, you cannot walk there from the Orient Beach area (unless your a mountain goat!). You'll need your rental car or a taxi to take you the short distance to the port to catch the day ferry to Pinel.

As for speaking some french, really not necessary. Only once did I encounter a bar tender who could not speak English. Everyone at the bars and restaurants we encountered last week spoke English, but I do try to have a little fun with them and speak some broken French when we visit.

Keep in mind when traveling there with two teenage sons that the clothing optional beach (the bottom third of Orient Beach) is primarily a nude beach so you might want to prep them before you go if that's a concern. It is also a good idea to keep tabs of the coronavirus pandemic that is going on everywhere to see if more cases have been identified in St. Martin, and keep tabs on potential travel restrictions that may be imposed in the upcoming weeks. Hope this helps.