Member Spotlight
joe9090
joe9090
new jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (road3682, IWIWSE, WWII, jrw, SURICK, PnPinNC, JeanneB, BillR, Wingman, Mikel, 4 invisible), 810 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Refunds from Moorings? #225321
04/23/2020 05:38 AM
04/23/2020 05:38 AM
K
Kryssa Offline OP
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline OP
Traveler
K
We are scheduled to sail for a week from another Moorings base, but that base doesn't have a community like this one so I hope you don't mind if I ask here.

We are booked for August 29-September 5. We have put in a 35% deposit on the charter. Next month we will be faced with the decision as to whether or not to pay the balance.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck in them not charging their usual cancellation penalty before the final payment is due.

Or a refund (not a credit) if they cancel your charter closer to do the date.

I would have no problem paying the balance if I knew I'd get it back if travel from the USA to Europe was prohibited when we were supposed to arrive, I just don't want to wind up with a $10k+ credit when it's next to impossible to schedule a week we can all go. We had planned this August trip two years ahead.

We have travel insurance but of course it won't cover this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225335
04/23/2020 09:29 AM
04/23/2020 09:29 AM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
What is the Moorings telling you? In light of the current situation, I can't imagine that they would have a problem with you waiting to make your final payment. You still have plenty of time, so don't get in a hurry to make a decision that doesn't need to be made. Cross the bridge when you get there. I would think you are in the drivers seat, but I've been wrong before. A lot.

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225337
04/23/2020 09:32 AM
04/23/2020 09:32 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
If they are offering a credit for future charters, take it. If travel reopens, you very likely can re-book same boat/time.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: ScurvyD] #225369
04/23/2020 12:24 PM
04/23/2020 12:24 PM
Houston, Texas
louismcc Offline
Traveler
louismcc  Offline
Traveler
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by ScurvyD
What is the Moorings telling you? In light of the current situation, I can't imagine that they would have a problem with you waiting to make your final payment. You still have plenty of time, so don't get in a hurry to make a decision that doesn't need to be made. Cross the bridge when you get there. I would think you are in the drivers seat, but I've been wrong before. A lot.

Based on their website, they're dealing with cancelled charters through 06/01. If you have a charter after that date, you are subject to their normal cancellation policies. We had to make the final payment this month to protect our July charter. I doubt that it will happen but Moorings has not yet cancelled it. We'll most likely do a reschedule to next July.

Louis from Houston
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225382
04/23/2020 04:25 PM
04/23/2020 04:25 PM
K
Kryssa Offline OP
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Moorings hasn't changed any of their policies for charters in August. I am worried that we'll wind up with a $10k credit that is hard to use (difficult to coordinate everyone on the trip to reschedule) or my parents (mid 60's) won't want to travel even if it's technically possible and we lose the money entirely.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225383
04/23/2020 04:53 PM
04/23/2020 04:53 PM
Denver & Breckenridge, CO
B
BreckSailor Offline
Traveler
BreckSailor  Offline
Traveler
B
Denver & Breckenridge, CO
This general topic has been discussed in other places on TTOL. Here's what I'll say - in general, its a horrible idea to just take a credit for future travel. That is nothing more than an unsecured loan to a company (Moorings) which may have zero value in the future. Reading your contract carefully is important - particularly with that dealing with Force Majeure (Acts of God including pandemic which was never specifically contemplated before). At some level, you'll have to make a bet with your own trip and funds.

I was in the exact same situation with Dream Yachts and got them to delay our final payment (in writing) and extend the period of time for which we had to make a decision with only a relatively small cancellation fee (500 Euro). I do appreciate their willingness to delay/modify in our case - it was certainly the right thing for them to do. I'd suggest you work hard with Moorings to modify their cancellation/deposit terms - keeping your deposit for several more weeks in an effort to defer your cancellation rather than just keeping the smaller cancellation penalty is very much in their favor (to be clear, that, too, is a free unsecured loan from you).

One last thing - I've heard someone say that Moorings is owned by private equity with significant funding. Let me clear about this - and I am personally involved with private equity and see its great benefits - you and others should not get strong positive feelings from its private equity ownership. They love that customers will provide free unsecured funding in terms of credits - I would too.

Here's what I'll also say - I do not see charter prices increasing in the future - in fact, I see them decreasing. Rebooking trips is likely to be easily done in the future, at lower prices. Sad, but true - unfortunately.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225385
04/23/2020 05:16 PM
04/23/2020 05:16 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
To clarify Breck, I indicated Moorings was owned by a private equity company and have experience with PE as well and said this WAS NOT a reason to get a credit....

I am not willing to take that risk personally

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225386
04/23/2020 07:58 PM
04/23/2020 07:58 PM
Great Harbour, Jost Van Dykes
SusanZ Offline
Traveler
SusanZ  Offline
Traveler
I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure this is actually not consideredForce Majeure/Act of God. The pandemic is, but the shutdown itself is by the government. At least that's my understanding from people who contacted social security about benefits/sick leave, etc. and were denied.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225426
04/24/2020 11:10 AM
04/24/2020 11:10 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Does contract actually state there is "Force Majure" clause or is it implied? Most contracts I have reviewed state "nonrefundable" after a certain date, or similar language. It would be interesting to see exactly what the contract cancellation clause states.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225441
04/24/2020 12:20 PM
04/24/2020 12:20 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
I know this goes against what everyone is doing, but Navigare is offering a special until end of day. 50% off gift cards valid for 1 year. If you want to take a $10k trip, you can purchase a $5k gift card now and save the extra $5k. I get it, financing a charter company, etc but 100% return in 12 months is a pretty good financing deal.

Link to special.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Deepcut] #225442
04/24/2020 12:29 PM
04/24/2020 12:29 PM
Houston, Texas
louismcc Offline
Traveler
louismcc  Offline
Traveler
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Deepcut
Does contract actually state there is "Force Majure" clause or is it implied? Most contracts I have reviewed state "nonrefundable" after a certain date, or similar language. It would be interesting to see exactly what the contract cancellation clause states.

Not being a lawyer I won't pretend to understand all the ramifications, but below is from their contract:

5.2 We also reserve the right to recall the yacht due to unexpected circumstances (e.g. severe weather conditions etc.) in which case we may give you a credit certificate for use on future charters, extend your charter, or cancel your charter. If we cancel your charter except for reasons beyond our control or as a result of your non-payment of any amounts due under the contract, you are entitled to receive a full refund of all monies paid. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no refund or compensation will be paid if your charter is cancelled due to unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not be avoided even if all due carte had been exercised; such as (by way of example and not by way of limitation) war, riots, civil disturbances, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, acts of God, unforeseeable technical problems with transport for reasons beyond our control or that of our suppliers, closed or congested ports, hurricanes and other actual or potential adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemics, health risks or pandemics or any other similar events or unforeseen circumstances that may amount to force majeure.

Louis from Houston
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: louismcc] #225457
04/24/2020 03:36 PM
04/24/2020 03:36 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Originally Posted by louismcc

Not being a lawyer I won't pretend to understand all the ramifications, but below is from their contract:

5.2 We also reserve the right to recall the yacht due to unexpected circumstances (e.g. severe weather conditions etc.) in which case we may give you a credit certificate for use on future charters, extend your charter, or cancel your charter. If we cancel your charter except for reasons beyond our control or as a result of your non-payment of any amounts due under the contract, you are entitled to receive a full refund of all monies paid. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no refund or compensation will be paid if your charter is cancelled due to unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not be avoided even if all due carte had been exercised; such as (by way of example and not by way of limitation) war, riots, civil disturbances, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, acts of God, unforeseeable technical problems with transport for reasons beyond our control or that of our suppliers, closed or congested ports, hurricanes and other actual or potential adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemics, health risks or pandemics or any other similar events or unforeseen circumstances that may amount to force majeure.

.....they forgot the kitchen sink.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #225461
04/24/2020 05:03 PM
04/24/2020 05:03 PM
K
Kryssa Offline OP
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
I know this goes against what everyone is doing, but Navigare is offering a special until end of day. 50% off gift cards valid for 1 year. If you want to take a $10k trip, you can purchase a $5k gift card now and save the extra $5k. I get it, financing a charter company, etc but 100% return in 12 months is a pretty good financing deal.

Link to special.

I'd be worried they'd go out of business before I could travel!

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Latadjust] #225462
04/24/2020 05:08 PM
04/24/2020 05:08 PM
Houston, Texas
louismcc Offline
Traveler
louismcc  Offline
Traveler
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Latadjust

I think I sent them the kitchen sink with the deposit.

This is our 14th charter with Moorings, going back to the days before they accepted credit cards. I know I'm putting a lot of faith in their ability to handle circumstances beyond their control. Based on our many years working with them, including a post-Irma charter in 2018, they've earned my trust.

Louis from Houston
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225465
04/24/2020 06:46 PM
04/24/2020 06:46 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Link to special.

I'd be worried they'd go out of business before I could travel!

I agree.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: louismcc] #225475
04/24/2020 09:32 PM
04/24/2020 09:32 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Originally Posted by Latadjust

I think I sent them the kitchen sink with the deposit.

This is our 14th charter with Moorings, going back to the days before they accepted credit cards. I know I'm putting a lot of faith in their ability to handle circumstances beyond their control. Based on our many years working with them, including a post-Irma charter in 2018, they've earned my trust.

I agree, they've done well by us, not that others haven't. Over all, I'm happy with the all the bare boat charter operators in the BVI that we've patronized, and I'd take the credit - sometimes you just gotta have faith! Otherwise I feel like I'd be contributing to a self fulfilling professy.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Deepcut] #225489
04/25/2020 09:37 AM
04/25/2020 09:37 AM
SusanZ Offline
Traveler
SusanZ  Offline
Traveler
So, my (very limited) understanding is that the situation of closed borders is not being considered as a force majeure. This comes from conversation (NB some secondhand) with departments such as Labour, NHI and SSB.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225494
04/25/2020 12:43 PM
04/25/2020 12:43 PM
W
WantOwnersTime Offline
Traveler
WantOwnersTime  Offline
Traveler
W
I was supposed to be sailing in Tahiti this week - that trip was canceled a month ago. MOORINGs gave me a credit. No refund. I had a week scheduled in BVIs for last week of July. I canceled that - and got another credit. No refund.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: WantOwnersTime] #225502
04/25/2020 05:02 PM
04/25/2020 05:02 PM
K
Kryssa Offline OP
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Originally Posted by WantOwnersTime
I was supposed to be sailing in Tahiti this week - that trip was canceled a month ago. MOORINGs gave me a credit. No refund. I had a week scheduled in BVIs for last week of July. I canceled that - and got another credit. No refund.

Is there a expiration date on the credits?

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225504
04/25/2020 06:17 PM
04/25/2020 06:17 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Seems like a pretty heavily weighted contract for the charter company. I think if we were to charter again, I'd cross off that section, sign it and see what happens. Basically as I read it, if ANYTHING happens that they can't control (including this current situation) they aren't under any obligation to refund or even offer a credit. Charging for a service that can't be provided is not a good way to do business.

Matt
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225566
04/26/2020 05:31 PM
04/26/2020 05:31 PM
T
Tanley Offline
Tanley  Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Originally Posted by WantOwnersTime

Is there a expiration date on the credits?

We were sailing w/ the Moorings just before they locked down the BVI and ended up returning the boat a day early as we could feel things getting squirrelly. The Moorings gave us full credit for the last day, no issues. Very happy with how they handled the situation. Credit is good for 3 years.

Last edited by Tanley; 04/26/2020 05:32 PM.
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225719
04/29/2020 11:53 PM
04/29/2020 11:53 PM
Houston, Texas
louismcc Offline
Traveler
louismcc  Offline
Traveler
Houston, Texas
Moorings just posted they're suspending all chargers up until 06/15. We're scheduled for 07/03 which I'm pretty sure Moorings will get around to cancelling in a couple of weeks. I know they're busy with rescheduling the suspended charters, but I'll be happy when they finally get to our dates so that we can plot out when we'll reschedule. That will probably be in the same time frame in 2021.

Louis from Houston
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225841
05/01/2020 07:56 PM
05/01/2020 07:56 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Steve27 Offline
Traveler
Steve27  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
We were traveling with The Moorings for June 12th, however that obviously has been cancelled. They have suspended travel through June 15th. Our charter price was just over $10,000 and they wanted us to pay in full to allow us to change our charter dates without a change fee of $1,000. We did not pay in full because if we did and had to change again under their terms we would forfeit all $10,000. I am not willing to give them $10,000 for 13 months interest free and a possibility of losing it all. I was even offering to keep what was down on the deposit and pay the higher charter fee for next years pricing, but they would not do that either. Poor business practice when you cancel a trip, but still want the trip paid in full. There was no other date we could have gone till next year. I have chartered with Moorings for years, but may just have to leave and charter with another company next year.

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225843
05/01/2020 08:23 PM
05/01/2020 08:23 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
A lot of places must be hurting for cash about now. Holding the proverbial gun to your loyal customers' heads is an odd way to solve that problem. In fact, the more that is done, the more it affirms your decision to not put any more of your money at risk.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #225845
05/01/2020 09:40 PM
05/01/2020 09:40 PM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Well...technically you are in violation of contract if you don’t pay your balance when it’s due. They could ask you to pay the whole charter fee in full at the time of booking but they don’t. They let us put down a “deposit” so we can get the boat we want for the dates we want. We had to do the same thing for our May charter, even though we knew there was no way it was going to go...but...because we were paid in full when the charter company canceled? We could move it with no added fees, etc. The only way to really avoid situations like this? Is to book at the last minute and just hope there are boats you like available - it is what it is - this is just a new scenario.

[Linked Image]

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Steve27] #225852
05/02/2020 01:46 AM
05/02/2020 01:46 AM
K
Kryssa Offline OP
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline OP
Traveler
K
Steve - So you opted to allow them to keep the $3500+ deposit and didn't pay the balance?

Last edited by Kryssa; 05/02/2020 01:47 AM.
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Steve27] #225857
05/02/2020 07:47 AM
05/02/2020 07:47 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Originally Posted by Steve27
We were traveling with The Moorings for June 12th, however that obviously has been cancelled. They have suspended travel through June 15th. Our charter price was just over $10,000 and they wanted us to pay in full to allow us to change our charter dates without a change fee of $1,000. We did not pay in full because if we did and had to change again under their terms we would forfeit all $10,000. I am not willing to give them $10,000 for 13 months interest free and a possibility of losing it all. I was even offering to keep what was down on the deposit and pay the higher charter fee for next years pricing, but they would not do that either. Poor business practice when you cancel a trip, but still want the trip paid in full. There was no other date we could have gone till next year. I have chartered with Moorings for years, but may just have to leave and charter with another company next year.

If you paid by credit card then why don't you file a credit card dispute since they cant deliver?

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: bailau] #226098
05/06/2020 10:54 AM
05/06/2020 10:54 AM
L
lldks Offline
Traveler
lldks  Offline
Traveler
L
Not sure you could dispute with cc company because you did not pay in full. We are in same situation for a June 19 charter ( they are still saying it will happen - haha). We also are long term moorings clients. So for next year - where else besides moorings to find a large power cat ( 4 cabin - bareboat)?

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: lldks] #226109
05/06/2020 11:54 AM
05/06/2020 11:54 AM
South Carolina
Riverfrontbrewer Offline
Traveler
Riverfrontbrewer  Offline
Traveler
South Carolina

Marine Max was good to deal with. Nice location at Nanny Cay too.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226112
05/06/2020 12:31 PM
05/06/2020 12:31 PM
US
L
Lexington14 Offline
Traveler
Lexington14  Offline
Traveler
L
US
Contact Virgin Charter Yachts located at Nanny Cay. They have a diverse selection of bareboat power cats to choose from. It’s a smaller company that gives great personalized service to their customers. We’ve chartered with them for years.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Steve27] #226129
05/06/2020 02:19 PM
05/06/2020 02:19 PM
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline
Traveler
cwoody  Offline
Traveler
Middleburg, VA
Moorings seems to be very short sighted with their approach.

Horizon Yacht Charters handled this situation properly.
Our contract with Horizon stated final "Full" payment due 45 days before the "Charter Start Date" June 10.
Since we obviously are not going to start our charter on June 10 that is no longer our "Charter Start Date".
We moved the charter to January 2021.
Out final payment is now due 45 days before our updated Charter Start Date on Jan 4.

Chuck W.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: cwoody] #226167
05/07/2020 05:47 AM
05/07/2020 05:47 AM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by cwoody
Moorings seems to be very short sighted with their approach.

Horizon Yacht Charters handled this situation properly.
Our contract with Horizon stated final "Full" payment due 45 days before the "Charter Start Date" June 10.
Since we obviously are not going to start our charter on June 10 that is no longer our "Charter Start Date".
We moved the charter to January 2021.
Out final payment is now due 45 days before our updated Charter Start Date on Jan 4.

I think this is a reasonable response and is what we did with Sea Tiger. Contract for horizon probably did not mandate this but moving charter out to new day with deposit moved as a credit, and not requiring final payment until closer to new charter date.

Last edited by Deepcut; 05/07/2020 05:52 AM.

Wes
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226293
05/09/2020 04:21 PM
05/09/2020 04:21 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Steve27 Offline
Traveler
Steve27  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
Ok a little update...As far as paying in full for a trip next year is not the prudent thing to do, because for some reason the situation comes up again and you have to cancel you are now out the $10,000+. Says so in the contract. As far as disputing with the CC Company we talked with them as a back up plan and they said if the Charterer cancels the trip they maybe able to get the deposit back. That was a maybe. The whole time I was dealing with the Moorings and made sure to point out we have been loyal customers for years now. I understand they are probably strapped for cash and need to keep those deposits. We did come to an agreement of taking a CNOTE (Moving our deposit) to next June, but paying the 2021 pricing instead of the 2020 pricing. I was ok with this since I got an early booking discount and a prepaid fuel option that we did not have for this year. So we will be all set for a 514PC on June 19, 2021.

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!
Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226296
05/09/2020 05:55 PM
05/09/2020 05:55 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
I think Moorings is strapped because they are still paying the guaranteed payouts to the boat owners and need the charter credit to keep the game going. The only issue my CC company had was that the 1st deposit for this trip was done months ago but in the end the CC company credited back both payments for a trip that Moorings cancelled. Very loyal to Moorings for long time especially to their base camp employees--which they mostly layed off and are still out of work. Just unwilling to take the counter party risk with them.

When the dust settles we will be back unless of course Moorings doesn't want us because we wouldn't loan them interest free capital to fund their owner payments

One interesting outcome is we are seeing an uptick of interest in boating/slips at our local yacht club as people look for good outlets close to home

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226297
05/09/2020 06:41 PM
05/09/2020 06:41 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
The Moorings made it through Irma/Maria. Granted that wasn't worldwide. They have very PE backing. The Moorings will be back.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: NCSailor] #226300
05/09/2020 08:00 PM
05/09/2020 08:00 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by NCSailor
The Moorings made it through Irma/Maria. Granted that wasn't worldwide. They have very PE backing. The Moorings will be back.

Being world wide has diversity for most things, especially local disasters such as hurricanes. This pandemic is difficult economically for them as they cannot balance things out globally since globally there has been economic downfall globally.

Will Mooring survive?I think so. Not sure they will continue to pay out their guarantee income program but I hope so.

Wes
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226301
05/09/2020 08:09 PM
05/09/2020 08:09 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
The discouraging thing is they have no control over their recovery. At least after Irma, once the base and boats were repaired, they were back in business. Same for property owners, both houses and hotels. With this pandemic, it's totally up to the government and airlines when people can come back, and travelers as to when they can afford and want to travel.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: RatmansWife] #226302
05/09/2020 08:22 PM
05/09/2020 08:22 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Originally Posted by RatmansWife
The discouraging thing is they have no control over their recovery. At least after Irma, once the base and boats were repaired, they were back in business. Same for property owners, both houses and hotels. With this pandemic, it's totally up to the government and airlines when people can come back, and travelers as to when they can afford and want to travel.

Agree. Personally (and as a physician) I think the news needs to emphasize HOW to properly wear mask and use hand sanitizer.

I watched the check out lady with "dirty hands (as she had touched many items, reach up to mask (Which was NOT covering nose), move mask some (ie depositing germs + possible virus onto mask), scratch her nose, and then back to next item of someone else (Possible transfer of HER virus to their items. She had no clue as to how her habits are NOT safe.

I personally can travel safely to by airplane as I know to hand Sanitizer before touching my mask and clean area around me upon arrival. Not 100% safe , but a safe way to do it.

Now IF BVI will open up borders, perhaps with restrictions.

Wes
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226304
05/09/2020 09:38 PM
05/09/2020 09:38 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
For what it is worth I hope they survive as well...I just don't want to be concerned about it personally. I would point out that for Irma they gave us 2 trip refunds ASAP no questions asked. This was shortly after private equity company KKR bought Travelopia so they probably didn't have managerial influence yet. Travelopia owns Moorings and many other high end vacation companies. For IRMA it was relatively small exposure for Travelopia and KKR as they were globally diversified and possibly some of this was covered by business interruption insurance. In looking at the holdings for Travelopia now I cant see any that aren't affected majorly by this pandemic especially given Travelopia's concentration in high end travel.

Re: Refunds from Moorings? [Re: Kryssa] #226305
05/09/2020 10:00 PM
05/09/2020 10:00 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
To be fair to Moorings their rebooking policy is in line with all the other charter companies. Horizon is granting full refunds if the charter is more than 90 days out but that is their contractual policy for normal times. It’s going to be difficult for many companies to sell boats going forward given dropping payments on guaranteed contracts and the poor performance of shared revenue boats. The moorings is honoring their contracts both to owners and charterers. My contract is up in 60 days but I plan on another 5 year contract. Starting next year.
G

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 05/09/2020 10:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2