We have arrived back in reality so its time to give a report on our week
Arrived WestJet April 16 half and our early.Breezed through customs and luggage and easily found our shuttle.It was a Sprinter van.Rather large for the narrow streets of SXM.No issues.
Got Booked into the Alamanda.The front desk clerk was very helpful and informative.We had booked a second story ocean view room,but were put in a main floor room.He said there was a problem with the second floor room so this is all they had tonight check back tomorrow.
The room was nice with a small kitchenette and a large bathroom with a tub and separate shower.The view was of the bushes and greenery infront of the hotel.The Tvs are small too,but that isn't why we were there.
After quickly enpacking we had time to still enjoy the beach.We found a cocktail and wandered down to Papagayo's.We met some great people there and had a few more cocktails and dinner.By the time we were ready to leave it was dark.After talking with our server,he suggested walking back would not be safe so they called us a cab.Winston Churchill came quickly and got us back to Alamanda.The ride cost us $10.Small price to pay for safety.
The Alamanda has a neat feature in as you leave you leave your room key at the front desk so you don't have to worry about losing it on the beach.
We had the continental breakfast included in our package.It had fruit,fruit juice,croissants and baggettes.It was very good.
We were informed when we went down for breakfast that the water would be going off for the day.This was and island thing not just the hotel.
Weds morning we were booked for the Tiko Tiko.It was a little windy but at tintamarre we were sheltered from the wind.We were with two other couples that were very nice and made for a great day.The fruit at breakfast didn't sit well with me,and unfortunately made me a little ill.By the time we were heading back I started feeling better.
after cleaning up and relaxing for a while we went to Le Primant for dinner.The one waitress/owner is absolutely amazing.Her descriptions of the menu items,make your mouth water,and the food backs it up.before we were done,the power went out.There was already no water so it made for a challenging night for the restaunt staff,but they did their best.
Thurday was a relaxing beach day,unfortunately wht wind was up and it was a little cloudy.After a light lunch at Papagayo's we wandered the beach a bit and went for a nap.We just did a couple of appitizers at the sushi place for dinner and a glass of wine.It was an early night.
Friday was the worst weather day so we planned to go to the dutch side.We called Winston the cabbie for a ride.He was prompt and charged us $35 to go to Maho.It was before 10 when we arrived,so we wandered around the shops then walked over to Sunset Beach bar to watch the planes.That was cool to see.We got to see the KLM 747 land and take off.Thats one big plane although the airbus made more noise and blew more sand around.Lunch there was good,Ribs and a burger.
Leaving there we took the "bus" into Phillipsburg.That was different.Its an older toyota van that you open the side door yourself to get in and out of.It cost $2 each to go to Phillipsburg fro Maho.After shopping we took the bus back to the Boathouse for dinner.We have been there before and have enjoyed it.This time it was very disappointing.We were the first customers of the evening.The waiter enticed us with the Grilled lobster special,he came back to tell us they have no lobster.What??,then they didn't have the wine we ordered.The food we got was average at best.Like I said disappointing.Back on the bus to Maho again.We wanted to go see how lively Sunset was after dark.It wasn't very busy as the wind was up still,We met two great couples and had a blast.Josie even ended up getting a couple of free drinks.
We stopped a taxi leaving there to get a ride back to Alamanda.That cost us $45.We had had some drinks so I guess it was a small price to pay for a fun day and no police hassles.
When we got back the hotel had found us a second floor room.In the new room was a bottle of champange for our inconveinience.Through this we had talked with the manager,Vincent and he explained the problem to us and was very apologetic.As much as it was a bad situation,he made it very good in the end.Not only did we get a second floor room,it had a second upstairs bedroom with second bath.Just an amazing room.
Saturday was another beach day with lunch at Kakao and dinner at Papagayos.There was live entertainment there that was excellent.Again we met some great people and had a wonderful time.Another guest we met got us home safe that night.
Sunday,monday were beach days too.Very relaxing,Another dinner with some new friends at LePriment,Great again.
Monday we went to L'Astrolabe at the Esmerelda fro dinner.It was amazing.Mondays is surf and turf night.I can't say enough about this meal.by far our best meal of the week.
Then Tuesday we had to go home,We spent a couple last hours on the beach,a quick pizza at Kakao and back to meet the shuttle.No issues getting back to the airport and home.
I'm not sure when the new airport was built but it is a whole lot better then the old one.We hope to be back next year.