Member Spotlight
Colour1
Colour1
Westchester /NYC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (tmsxmsails, WWII, beachy, Alltech63, Jerry_R, Fitzhughlaw, George1234, Todd_Melinda_K, 4 invisible), 828 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Buy Dutch vs French Side #230566
07/25/2020 10:17 AM
07/25/2020 10:17 AM
B
Buddyhog Offline OP
Traveler
Buddyhog  Offline OP
Traveler
B
I know this has been mentioned before , but can someone tell me the other expenses incurred if buy on the French side? I think you have a yearly property tax? Are there closing cost or another expense for the buyer on the French side? Thanks

SXM Sponsors
Re: Buy Dutch vs French Side [Re: Buddyhog] #230568
07/25/2020 10:50 AM
07/25/2020 10:50 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Originally Posted by Buddyhog
I know this has been mentioned before , but can someone tell me the other expenses incurred if buy on the French side? I think you have a yearly property tax? Are there closing cost or another expense for the buyer on the French side? Thanks

Buddy,

I have always been told it is less costly to purchase on the Dutch side although I don’t know this firsthand. And on the other hand, I’ve always heard there are more protections to the owners on the French side. Again, no firsthand info from personal experience.

Once upon a time, many years ago, we very seriously contemplated purchasing a place on SXM after having visited annually for at least fifteen years every year, but we weighed so many scenarios and ‘what ifs’ and ultimately we decided not to do this. And as it turned out, it was a very good decision for US though others I know are very happy with theIr decisions to buy. And I also have known a few who seriously regretted having done so because of all the variables.

Don’t mean to be a nay-sayer but I hope you give purchasing on island a lot of very serious consideration before you take the plunge on EITHER side of the island. With all the things we did take into consideration - hurricanes, logistics, ever escalating expenses and repairs needed along with the possible future need for major health care facilities while there, and all the other minor inconveniences that can pop up, we still managed to miss a few. Who ever thought the island would be closed due to a pandemic? That one completely missed our list of ‘what ifs’ as something we never remotely considered.

A very wise friend of ours and coincidentally the same man whose home we were seriously considering buying, suggested to us we should only buy with expendable income we could easily afford to lose without being hurt financially, since with island ownership you just never know what might go wrong. We took his advice and passed on his property and for sure, every so often we have regrets at not having made the leap, but usually this is when we’re unable to book the dates we want at the places we most enjoy staying, but then we listen to the stories of some who did so and now have regrets and we realize our choice was the very best decision we could make for US. Not saying others might feel this way but we knew IF the worse were to happen, we would be very unhappy campers.

I know many who have owned there for years and are extremely happy with their decisions to purchase and if you do so, on either side, I truly hope it works well for you. Good luck, whatever your decision.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Buy Dutch vs French Side [Re: pat] #230570
07/25/2020 11:17 AM
07/25/2020 11:17 AM
B
Buddyhog Offline OP
Traveler
Buddyhog  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Pat, thank you so much for taking the time with your very thought out post. I always enjoy your post, especially your trip reports. Hope to meet you sometime on the island. If we buy, will make sure to invite you to our new pad. Buddy

Re: Buy Dutch vs French Side [Re: Buddyhog] #230571
07/25/2020 11:52 AM
07/25/2020 11:52 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Definitely a yearly property tax on the French side. I don't have any personal experience, but have heard the process is more convoluted on the French side. It sounds like you need to touch base with an island real estate agent, to look at some of these questions. Although I would actually not be surprised if you would have to pick an agent on the side of the island that you want to buy on, as it could be that an agent can only sell on their side of the island. Either way, as Pat said, please consider all the down sides, before you jump in. What is your ultimate goal? Is your ultimate goal to live on island full time? If so, and you have not spent a significant amount of time in a row on island--say 3 or 4 months--I would do that first, before you buy.

Best wishes!

Carol Hill
Re: Buy Dutch vs French Side [Re: Buddyhog] #230575
07/25/2020 12:23 PM
07/25/2020 12:23 PM
Florida
W
wilsonck Offline
Traveler
wilsonck  Offline
Traveler
W
Florida
The French side tax varies depending on how old the property is. Plus you will have 2 types of taxes yearly, a property tax and a housing tax. The property tax (taxe foncière) is paid by the owner and the housing tax (taxe d´habitation) is paid by the occupant. Here is a website that explains buying property in St. Martin.

Re: Buy Dutch vs French Side [Re: Buddyhog] #230593
07/25/2020 04:12 PM
07/25/2020 04:12 PM
B
BlueGreenWater Offline
Traveler
BlueGreenWater  Offline
Traveler
B
This was a big selling point to Porto Cupecoy. You got the tax advantages of buying on the Dutch side, but you were right on the border. Lots of French folks bought there for this reason.