Hi all,

I just wanted to relay some feelings and reports from our trip aboard "Rafiki", a Beneteau 473 through TMM. TMM is still the greatest. We were out the first day by 10 A.M.

I was travelling with my wife, 2 kids, Father-in-law, Uncle-in-law..

WEATHER--- VERY windy the first 3 days. while at a mooring at North Sound, a Moorings cat that had demasted was towed in. This was the evening of Feb. 8th. On our return to Road Reef, a TMM cat was docked without her mast as well. She lost hers on the 9th. Gusts were at 30 kts. Some people need to learn how to reef a sail I guess.

ANCHORAGES--- in order, Benures, North Sound (2 nights), Anegada, Marina Cay, Diamond Cay, White Bay (Jost), CGB, The Bight..

Loved Benures, Seems that watersking is the thing to do if you are aboard one of these crewed cats with the silver sail covers. (Same comp. had watersking going on at the bight). Beyond that, I loved this anchorage. We tried Key Bay first but the swell coming around the point was too large.

Anegada. What can you say. It was my first time there. The "ONLY" problem was that the winds were SO strong that the anchorage was quite choppy. Yes Walker!! I met Alex at CW and met Keith as well. Lovely people.. I also placed our coveted TravelBug in Walkers geocache. We would have stayed an extra night but the winds dictated (along with my wife) that we move on. Next time I'll hit Loblolly for sure..

Marina Cay.. Michael Bean is a must see. Also caught a tuna off the transom. I used a hotdog for bait!! smile

Diamond Cay... This was BY FAR!!! our favorite anchorage of the trip.. Why?? well.. How bout because WE WERE THE ONLY BOAT THERE!!!.. I couldn't believe it!!! Ten new mooring balls and we were the ONLY BOAT!!.. I was quite a treat. Great snorkeling on the south side of Little Jost. (Big Tarpon). My son and I explored Little Jost the next morning and found an old abandoned house on the west side of the island. J.F. at Taboo was awesome as well.

WATER WARNING!!! Water at Bitter End is 18 cents/gal. at Saba water is 10 cents/gal. I heard about water at Little Harbor at Jost... 60 gallons into my refill, I asked "how much?".. when the answer was 25 cents/gal. I said "TURN IT OFF!"

Grabbed a mooring ball at White Bay Jost. No worries there.

CGB.. I'm so sad to say that this beach is just not the same. I first went there in 1978.. The beach was like White Bay Jost back then. Even a year ago the water seemed somewhat ok. This year? YUCK!!.. Between the water qual. and the crowds I wanted to cry. On the upside, Dinner at Myetts was awesome.

The Bight-- I try to get there early so I can snag a ball at water point (North side around the corner) I was lucky enough to get one of the 5 precious balls again this year. The snorkeling is awesome right off the boat. Best part was catching up to my son who was yelling SEA TURTLE DAD!! They are so graceful underwater.

In Conclusion-- I want to buy a boat so bad it hurts.. The BVI is still heaven on earth...

GaryT

Gary T